Jump to content
Enviro 500

Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, UpLift Vancouver said:

Both Richmond & Surrey are short on Orions... Flyers constantly appear on lines 301 & 503 if even ONE of Surrey's is in the shop (and line 301 has Orions restricted to weekdays only due to stupid service "optimizations"). When it comes to a block on line 311 that does 2 AM trips only, one of which leaves at 07:05, I often see a 16100 Flyer on it despite not interlining with any local lines or line 480.

I think TransLink may be regretting not getting more Orion V when they had a chance back in 2008.:lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I have 2 questions.

My first question is why did they change the font. What was the point, I think the old font is a lot more clear than than the new font. The new font looks a bit messy and hard to read at times.

My second question is about the bus numbers. Why did they change from 4 digit numbers to 5 digit numbers. The 2012 XDE60 marked the first buses with 5 digit numbers. I know it's not because they ran out of 4 digit numbers, because they could have numbered the 2012 XDE60 9001-9025, and the 2014 XN40 could have been numbered 7001-7045, also the 2016 XD40 could have been numbered 9300-9340. My point is there is lots of 4 digit numbers that still haven't been used yet they chose to go straight to the 5 digit numbers. Does anybody know why?

 

They wanted to create a brand -- a universal font

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, buizel10 said:

They wanted to create a brand -- a universal font.

That's so stupid. The old font is way more universal than this new ''crayon'' font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

That's so stupid. The old font is way more universal than this new ''crayon'' font.

Its called Meta and ironically it was designed for transit systems to replace Helvetica.\

 

 

Also as in a font for all branding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, buizel10 said:

Its called Meta and ironically it was designed for transit systems to replace Helvetica.

I know. It's what I call this ''Meta'' font. I call it ''crayon'' font because it looks like someone wrote the numbers using crayon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. BusFreak said:

I know. It's what I call this ''Meta'' font. I call it ''crayon'' font because it looks like someone wrote the numbers using crayon.

ikr

2 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I think TransLink may be regretting not getting more Orion V when they had a chance back in 2008.:lol:

NovaBus LFS Suburban better than nothing.

 

Credits to: David Lam 

novalfssubintr.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

At least we still have NovaBus LFS Suburban...

The high back seats:novalfssubintr.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if TransLink purchases some NovaBus LFS Suburbans with the money from the 10 year investment plan as supplements for RTC and STC as they are short of Orions.

EDIT: By the way, that particular NovaBus LFS Suburban in that picture looks like a hotel room.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I wouldn't be surprised if TransLink purchases some NovaBus LFS Suburbans with the money from the 10 year investment plan as supplements for RTC and STC as they are short of Orions.

yep

 

100th POST!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Congrats! I have 67 posts(including this post.) Still have a long way to go.

I have already applied for CPTDB Wiki Editor. Photos of buses are making my hard drive full...

 

 

Arent we spamming the forum at this point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'll post a question.

I just saw the headline on the wiki about Calgary Transit receiving Grande West Vicinity buses. I was excited looking at the list of companies already operating it. It seems to be a bus that actually works in a smaller form factor while maintaining the accessibility of larger low-floor buses. Unlike the current Translink shuttles, it would let the company maintain its accessibility standards across the system. However, I can see it disrupting the shuttle/conventional employment model, by bridging the perceived difficulty (and maybe licensing) gap between shuttles and 40 foot buses.

That said, I guess I would still hope that some version of this bus (or new flyer's Midi bus) someday could replace Translink's high floor shuttle fleet. Does anyone know if this is even a remote possibility or option they are considering? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, UpLift Vancouver said:

Both Richmond & Surrey are short on Orions... Flyers constantly appear on lines 301 & 503 if even ONE of Surrey's is in the shop (and line 301 has Orions restricted to weekdays only due to stupid service "optimizations"). When it comes to a block on line 311 that does 2 AM trips only, one of which leaves at 07:05, I often see a 16100 Flyer on it despite not interlining with any local lines or line 480.

That particular block used to do only one trip on the 311, the 7:05 am departure out of Scottsdale. (The piece of work was less than 2 hours depot to depot.) I did it a few times and every time I had an Orion, but one of my friends told me he quite often would get a D40LF when he did that run. I think since it was such a short run, it wasn't high on the priority list for Orions if there weren't enough buses in the morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

Well, I'll post a question.

I just saw the headline on the wiki about Calgary Transit receiving Grande West Vicinity buses. I was excited looking at the list of companies already operating it. It seems to be a bus that actually works in a smaller form factor while maintaining the accessibility of larger low-floor buses. Unlike the current Translink shuttles, it would let the company maintain its accessibility standards across the system. However, I can see it disrupting the shuttle/conventional employment model, by bridging the perceived difficulty (and maybe licensing) gap between shuttles and 40 foot buses.

That said, I guess I would still hope that some version of this bus (or new flyer's Midi bus) someday could replace Translink's high floor shuttle fleet. Does anyone know if this is even a remote possibility or option they are considering? 

From West Vancouver Blue Bus thread:

On 11/27/2016 at 7:17 PM, Marlow1331 said:

West Vancouver Blue Bus will be receiving 5 Arboc, low-floors, (similar to BC Transits to paint a picture) sometime during early 2017, no information on options, or fleet numbers at this time.

I haven't heard anything more about this yet, but in theory this could be the future for shuttles in Vancouver. I guess we'll have to wait and see how well they work for us (I can't recall having been on that particular type before so I only really know what the wiki knows here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone answered the number system change question for buses. Apparently CMBC inherited a system which didn't allow fleet numbers to be re-used. I cannot recall how far back the system went, but it was substantial. The consequence of not recycling numbers led to a case where available fleet number blocks became very limited; change was essentially needed at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dane said:

I don't think anyone answered the number system change question for buses. Apparently CMBC inherited a system which didn't allow fleet numbers to be re-used. I cannot recall how far back the system went, but it was substantial. The consequence of not recycling numbers led to a case where available fleet number blocks became very limited; change was essentially needed at some point.

Actually I did respond on Thursday to this question.  The numbers of all future vehicle purchases have been changed to reflect the year of the vehicle.  The first two numbers identify the year of the vehicle.  As to whether Fleet numbers can be reused, I can't answer that question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dane said:

I don't think anyone answered the number system change question for buses. Apparently CMBC inherited a system which didn't allow fleet numbers to be re-used. I cannot recall how far back the system went, but it was substantial. The consequence of not recycling numbers led to a case where available fleet number blocks became very limited; change was essentially needed at some point.

Worth noting that the pre-1996 fleet numbers were a bit messy, since they changed every time buses were transferred. But when they standardized the system in 1996, they did also re-use fleet numbers that were assigned to buses during that period (3000s, 7000s, 9000s). The others (4000s, 5000s) never got re-used, but theoretically could have been since they did use the other ones. I do like the latest method though, and I'm glad they switched to it.

(Also worth noting that I wasn't even alive during that pre-1996 era, so I'm just getting my info from the wiki. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here =P)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NotQuite said:

Actually I did respond on Thursday to this question.  The numbers of all future vehicle purchases have been changed to reflect the year of the vehicle.  The first two numbers identify the year of the vehicle.  As to whether Fleet numbers can be reused, I can't answer that question.

Your answer wasn't correct, though. It was indicative of what the new system was rather than why. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2017 at 11:05 AM, Large Cat said:

That said, I guess I would still hope that some version of this bus (or new flyer's Midi bus) someday could replace Translink's high floor shuttle fleet. Does anyone know if this is even a remote possibility or option they are considering? 

Hi, @Large Cat - At the 2016 BC Transit workshop, it was stated that 50% of their fleet (1200 buses) would replaced over the next five years in their Right-Sizing trend. Grande West received a five-year contract from BC Transit about the same time. I expect the majority of these replacements to be with Vicinity.

BC Transit was not interested in the MiDi, it's not a true heavy-duty model. 

Rightsize.png

Rightsize.thumb.png.8f876c816d63308c38336ca6c6a3ca9e.png

Rightsize.thumb.png.8f876c816d63308c38336ca6c6a3ca9e.png

Rightsize.thumb.png.8f876c816d63308c38336ca6c6a3ca9e.png

Rightsize.thumb.png.8f876c816d63308c38336ca6c6a3ca9e.png

Rightsize.thumb.png.8f876c816d63308c38336ca6c6a3ca9e.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody have a clue what TransLink plans on what trains they're going to purchase for the Canada Line? TransLink said they're going to purchase 11 new Canada Line trains due to the 10 year investment plan, so ideas on what train they're thinking of buying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stormscape said:

I'd hazard a guess and say they'll give Hyundai Rotem a call first?

Besides Hyundai Rotem, any ideas what else might fit on the Canada Line tracks? Are there any options besides Hyundai Rotem the Canada Line could possibly use? 

Also, is the Bombardier Innovia Metro 300 also called the Mark III? Or are they different, and how are they different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The loading gauge is too wide for an Innovia, I'm sure there's loads of options though. I bet Bombardier could whip up an automatic version of the Toronto Rocket if Hyundai doesn't want to build more trains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×