Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

On 10/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, Express691 said:

The reason Expo Line trains end at New Westminster at the end of service is because there is a massive backlog of trains getting into OMC1 for the night. It stretches past 22nd Street Station. Co-incidentally, there are no connecting buses at 22nd by the time the last trains arrive. At New West, there's still the N19, 109 and 106.

I actually always wanted to know about this! I assumed it to be merely the lack of connecting buses, but that makes even more sense. I ended up on one of those last trains to New Westminster only before and then took a combination of the 123 and the 144 to get home to the Royal Oak Stn area when I lived there.

The 109 having a super late night run on weekdays (thus offering that connection to Lougheed TC) I actually had no idea of. Super interesting. Though it doesn't leave that long after the last Expo train to Lougheed (which the last Expo train to New West does connect to at Columbia) and seems to be out of sync with the last N19 to downtown as well.

• 2 months later...

Did the ransomware attack affect the automatic operation of destination signs based on GPS data? I have seen two buses running the 410 22nd St. displaying the incorrect message: one was an XN40 showing "410 Brighouse" while the other was a Nova showing "104 22nd St." Both buses had departed from Brighouse and were heading north on No. 3.

1 hour ago, Community Shuttle said:

Did the ransomware attack affect the automatic operation of destination signs based on GPS data? I have seen two buses running the 410 22nd St. displaying the incorrect message: one was an XN40 showing "410 Brighouse" while the other was a Nova showing "104 22nd St." Both buses had departed from Brighouse and were heading north on No. 3.

Maybe something about GPS signals on No. 3 Road?

3 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

No, with the ransomware attack affecting the system that the buses use, they couldn't update them with this sheets data, so any blocks that are different from what they were last sheet don't work, thus having the automatic destination sign changing also not work.

1 hour ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Oh, here’s a question:

The Rudolph bus at Joyce Station on December 31st showed either Block/Run 041 009 or 041 09-. The previous sheet states no run 009 or in the 090’s. So how could a 41 bus have a run 9 or 90-something?

EE5ADB0B-03EE-4F4A-96AE-F78A289B286E.thumb.jpeg.431f7ddbb9cc5496ce7f52bb78d9c94e.jpeg

That was actually block 67 on the 41, the run box was incorrect. It leaves VTC at 13:00 and cuts in service at Crown and it's out till 26:09.

I know because it was the block ahead of me that day 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Yes ... why wouldn't they be able to backup ? ?

Well, the poles.

15 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

As with any bus, it is preferable to have a spotter when backing up, and backing up through a switch might not be advisable, but other than that, should be no problems.

Good to hears.

2 hours ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Will posts this here instead of on the Trolleybus Discussion thread:

Are Vancouver trolleys able to backs up? As in, go backwards?

When the bus is in ECU mode, yes.

When the poles are up and you're on straight wire, although not recommended because of the design of the carbon shoe, but yes and is done quite often.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

When buses be pulled from other routes to acts as shuttles, what happens if them bus-shuttles need to displays a sign that's not programmed? (For example, if the 25 was going to terminates at King Edward Station and shuttles be going from, let's say, Kingsway to Brentwood, would them shuttles display "25 TO KINGSWAY"? I doesn't think that sign's programmed.)

2 hours ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

When buses be pulled from other routes to acts as shuttles, what happens if them bus-shuttles need to displays a sign that's not programmed? (For example, if the 25 was going to terminates at King Edward Station and shuttles be going from, let's say, Kingsway to Brentwood, would them shuttles display "25 TO KINGSWAY"? I doesn't think that sign's programmed.)

Driver discretion if they're aware of an appropriate sign code, otherwise just SPECIAL if Tcomm doesn't tell them a sign code.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orion V said:

At the turn of the century, how did they fix the gap at station issue when the Mark IIs were first introduced to the system since they are 0.15m wider than the Mark Is? The original Expo line was built to Mark I widths were they not?

As far as I know, stations were single tracked on weekends one by one as maintenance was carried out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

@Stormscapeis pretty much correct on this one. The same applies for regular service blocks that get short-turns for which no destination sign exists, although in this case it could be easier just to display the regular sign and then make an announcement a few stops before the short turn that the bus will go out of service at that location.

One pertinent example of this: there is no destination sign code for "301 TO SCOTTSDALE", although this is the obvious location to short-turn 301s running late out of Richmond - or even out of Surrey, because there isn't really anywhere convenient to turn around at the Richmond end. A Surrey-bound 301 short-turning at Scottsdale can save up to half an hour (10 minutes each way between Scottsdale and Newton Exchange, plus the allotted recovery at Newton which is usually between 6 and 10 minutes, at least on weekdays). I've done it before, but with the absence of a sign code I would have to use the Newton sign and just hope that I could get a little ways ahead of a 319 on Scott Road to give the passengers enough time to catch it when I arrived at Scottsdale. (Easier said than done, those 319s do NOT waste any time...)

I also remember once running late on a 106 bound for New West Station, and being asked by T-Comm to short turn at 6th and 6th, by turning right onto 8th Ave, left on 8th St, left on 6th Ave and then left again on 6th St to head back towards Metrotown. (This was before the route was split at Edmonds.) I thought that there was a sign code that involved 6th and 6th, but I couldn't find anything other than "155 TO 8TH ST". I don't remember what I ended up doing, probably just told people I wasn't going down the hill and waited for the panicked reactions when I made the right on 8th Ave. ?

• Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 4:54 PM, MCW Metrobus said:

@Stormscapeis pretty much correct on this one. The same applies for regular service blocks that get short-turns for which no destination sign exists, although in this case it could be easier just to display the regular sign and then make an announcement a few stops before the short turn that the bus will go out of service at that location.

One pertinent example of this: there is no destination sign code for "301 TO SCOTTSDALE", although this is the obvious location to short-turn 301s running late out of Richmond - or even out of Surrey, because there isn't really anywhere convenient to turn around at the Richmond end. A Surrey-bound 301 short-turning at Scottsdale can save up to half an hour (10 minutes each way between Scottsdale and Newton Exchange, plus the allotted recovery at Newton which is usually between 6 and 10 minutes, at least on weekdays). I've done it before, but with the absence of a sign code I would have to use the Newton sign and just hope that I could get a little ways ahead of a 319 on Scott Road to give the passengers enough time to catch it when I arrived at Scottsdale. (Easier said than done, those 319s do NOT waste any time...)

I also remember once running late on a 106 bound for New West Station, and being asked by T-Comm to short turn at 6th and 6th, by turning right onto 8th Ave, left on 8th St, left on 6th Ave and then left again on 6th St to head back towards Metrotown. (This was before the route was split at Edmonds.) I thought that there was a sign code that involved 6th and 6th, but I couldn't find anything other than "155 TO 8TH ST". I don't remember what I ended up doing, probably just told people I wasn't going down the hill and waited for the panicked reactions when I made the right on 8th Ave. ?

Yes. Or be there any sign without the route number? For example, no 301 TO SCOTTSDALE but just a SCOTTSDALE sign? See this - there be no 19 JOYCE STN sign but just a JOYCE STN sign. Or alternatively, 19 KINGSWAY TO JOYCE.

IMG_9050.thumb.JPG.b46f5f2490610d38aa7e7be6906c1a39.JPGIMG_9065.thumb.JPG.c60e676931982fe6afa32969fc0e8c65.JPG

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

As far as I know, stations were single tracked on weekends one by one as maintenance was carried out.

How come the Mark Is now don't have a wider gap at stations between its floor and the station platform which provides a safety issue to customers VS its newer variants? Is it a negligible difference that customers won't notice?

59 minutes ago, Orion V said:

How come the Mark Is now don't have a wider gap at stations between its floor and the station platform which provides a safety issue to customers VS its newer variants? Is it a negligible difference that customers won't notice?

I think it's negligible. That said, there's an even worse situation with mk3s being a few cm above the platforms.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-skytrain-mind-the-gap

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

Yes. Or be there any sign without the route number? For example, no 301 TO SCOTTSDALE but just a SCOTTSDALE sign? See this - there be no 19 JOYCE STN sign but just a JOYCE STN sign. Or alternatively, 19 TO JOYCE.

IMG_9050.thumb.JPG.b46f5f2490610d38aa7e7be6906c1a39.JPGIMG_9065.thumb.JPG.c60e676931982fe6afa32969fc0e8c65.JPG

The first photo is only half of the sign; the sign should display "19 KINGSWAY / TO JOYCE".

The driver of the bus in the second photo may not know that sign is available.