Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

38 minutes ago, Zortan said:

A couple weeks ago I saw this at VTC. Does anyone know when this is from or why it's there? I'm assuming it's a practice bus stop for training, but I could be wrong. The stop number is at Cap U and the routes were all Cap U routes, so I imagine this was simply taken from Cap U when they built a new stop at some point. However, I'm still wondering what it's doing at VTC.

DSC_7495.jpg

My best guess is that it is there to train drivers on pulling up to bus stops while making sure not to jump the curb, not to hit the poles and make sure to have good placement in relation to the bus stop sign. 

• Like 1

It’s there for training purposes. The ID post itself is usually just used the first day of training when the trainee's are roaming the yard.  The spot though, is also used for mobility aid training and parking at the end of the day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zortan said:

A couple weeks ago I saw this at VTC. Does anyone know when this is from or why it's there? I'm assuming it's a practice bus stop for training, but I could be wrong. The stop number is at Cap U and the routes were all Cap U routes, so I imagine this was simply taken from Cap U when they built a new stop at some point. However, I'm still wondering what it's doing at VTC.

DSC_7495.jpg

Those are some... bizarre destinations. lol. Someone's having fun...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I rode the 262 today and to be honest I was wondering why it's a shuttle? It seems to have higher ridership than some WVMT 40-foot routes, especially in the summer, and 40-footers have operated on it before, so logistically it should work, at least during the summer season.

25 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Two questions I have:

1) where can revenue service Orion's be found now that a lot of them have retired?

2) do deckers run on Sunday? And if so, on which of the five routes?

1) Primarily on the 351 and 601 and other suburban routes running out of Bridgeport as well as some of the local trippers that are interlined with suburban routes. They can also be found on the 301 and 555 but it's not as common.

2) 301, 351, 555, 620. 

Use http://tcomm.bustrainferry.com/mobile/ or https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=translink to track them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KINGSTER200 said:

1) Primarily on the 351 and 601 and other suburban routes running out of Bridgeport as well as some of the local trippers that are interlined with suburban routes. They can also be found on the 301 and 555 but it's not as common.

2) 301, 351, 555, 620. Also, the 311 is not really a decker route; deckers were only on it for a few weeks and they haven't been on it since the start of the September sheet.

And of course the Orions can be found on a ton of the suburban peak-only runs from Bridgeport, including the 311, 352, 354, 602, 603, 604

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blake M said:

Two questions I have:

1) where can revenue service Orion's be found now that a lot of them have retired?

2) do deckers run on Sunday? And if so, on which of the five routes?

Yes Double Deckers run on Saturday and Sundays. Routes 301, 351, 555, 620.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

And are there ever any of them 6-car trains on the M-Line?

I don't believe the Mark Is (which are what make the 6-car trains) are able to run on the M-Line, but don't quote me on that. I think the M-Line is exclusively Mark II trainsets, although the Mark IIIs work on it as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zortan said:

I don't believe the Mark Is (which are what make the 6-car trains) are able to run on the M-Line, but don't quote me on that. I think the M-Line is exclusively Mark II trainsets, although the Mark IIIs work on it as well.

Why wouldn't MkI ARTS be able to run on the Millennium Line? Are they the wrong width or something?

On that note, logistics question: Do Millennium Line trains all get sent out early in the morning, having to reverse into Port Moody? I genuinely don't know how SkyTrain operation starts and ends - if you're up early, do you see a bunch of subsequent trains flying through stations to their point of origin without stopping? What do SkyTrain "paddles" look like (for lack of a better word in my vocabular) - where do they start and end, and when? I know about trains pulling out of service during the day a Waterfront and King George (I've gotten stuck on one by accident)... basically what do early-morning SkyTrain operations look like in preparation for the day's services, and same question for the evening?

4 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Why wouldn't MkI ARTS be able to run on the Millennium Line? Are they the wrong width or something?

I think I heard something once about the tracks and something to do with power supply messing with the Mark I trains. I don't think width or other sizing things would be a factor, though, as all three types of Bombardier trains run on the Expo Line without any issues.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zortan said:

I think I heard something once about the tracks and something to do with power supply messing with the Mark I trains. I don't think width or other sizing things would be a factor, though, as all three types of Bombardier trains run on the Expo Line without any issues.

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the newer switches at Lougheed that causes the MK Is to time out or something like that IIRC.

• Like 3