Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Does anyone know when the roll out of the 5 new B-line routes will happen?

More specifically, the 5 new B-lines (this includes the 95) should be implemented by 2019 (source on pg 11: http://tenyearvision.translink.ca/downloads/Phase One of the 10-Year Vision- 2017-2026 Investment Plan.pdf)

Technically speaking, Phase One only includes four B-Line routes: Forty-First, Lougheed Highway, Marine Drive, and Fraser Highway. The #95 B-Line was established by re-allocating bus service hours from the Northeast Sector that had been made surplus by the opening of the Millennium Line extension.

Anyway, IIRC, there won't be any new routes added until September sheet at the earliest, possibly even later than that. At least for now, the intention is simply to add service on existing routes to ease crowding. (Now maaaaaaaaaaybe you could stretch that into implementing the Forty-First B-Line right away since it would just be additional service hours on the existing #43, but I suspect that change would be deferred until September anyway, just because there's no point in introducing it during the summer when ridership on that corridor drops so dramatically.)

So would the Fraser Highway B-Line be a replacement of 503 service into Surrey? I guess the 503 would be cut to Langley to Aldergrove only with that change. On a system wide scale it makes sense but I bet there'll be a couple people living out there annoyed they won't have their one seat ride anymore.

26 minutes ago, Stormscape said:

So would the Fraser Highway B-Line be a replacement of 503 service into Surrey? I guess the 503 would be cut to Langley to Aldergrove only with that change. On a system wide scale it makes sense but I bet there'll be a couple people living out there annoyed they won't have their one seat ride anymore.

They could have done so with the 337 and 509 when the 96 was introduced, but that never happened. 

Who says it has to be either-or? My proposal:

• #502 - local service from King George to Langley Centre
  • #503 - local service from Langley Centre to Aldergrove; peak-period trips (and otherwise as demand requires) extended non-stop to King George (possibly under a different route # - say, #583)
  • #592 B-Line - limited-stop service from Surrey Central to Langley Centre

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Why didn't TransLink assign bus routes to the bays in the new loop at UBC? Why did they put so many layover spots in the new loop at UBC?

http://transport.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2016/06/UBC-Loop-Bus-Stop-Sign.pdf

"These routes are being relocated until construction of the new UBC Bus Exchange and Gage South Student Residence is completed in Summer 2019."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meraki said:

http://transport.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2016/06/UBC-Loop-Bus-Stop-Sign.pdf

"These routes are being relocated until construction of the new UBC Bus Exchange and Gage South Student Residence is completed in Summer 2019."

Ok, thank you. But I don't understand why the temporary bus loop at UBC cannot be used for picking up passengers.

10 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Ok, thank you. But I don't understand why the temporary bus loop at UBC cannot be used for picking up passengers.

Going by these diagrams, it looks like the temporary drop off is going to become the permanent pick up, and the drop off will move to underneath the residence once completed.

Image: UBC

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NorthVanBusFan said:

?

That loop is being replaced by the new student residence, unless I'm mistaking what you mean.

I think the student residence is being built on top of it.

7 minutes ago, Meraki said:

Going by these diagrams, it looks like the temporary drop off is going to become the permanent pick up, and the drop off will move to underneath the residence once completed.

Image: UBC

But the passenger pick up area at button of page could easily used to pick up passengers right now.

11 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I think the student residence is being built on top of it.

But the passenger pick up area at button of page could easily used to pick up passengers right now.

Perhaps they didn't want to unload buses on Wesbrook Mall before heading in to the loop for loading. Their current plan unloads in the loop, then turns right onto Wesbrook Mall to load. Similar to the final plan, but nudged south.

Avoiding the headaches of a full 99 jaywalking across Wesbrook every few minutes?

9 minutes ago, Meraki said:

Perhaps they didn't want to unload buses on Wesbrook Mall before heading in to the loop for loading. Their current plan unloads in the loop, then turns right onto Wesbrook Mall to load. Similar to the final plan, but nudged south.

Avoiding the headaches of a full 99 jaywalking across Wesbrook every few minutes?

That could be true which could be solved by my exchange plan. The passenger pick up area at the bottom of the above photo could be as follows:

The leftist most bay could be Bay 7 which could take the 25 and 33.

The next bay up could be Bay 6 which could take the 41. 

The next bay up could be Bay 5 which could take the 49.

Bay 4 which could be the 99 B-Line. 

The 43 and 480 would stay on the street.

This topic came up between me another member here on a facebook group in which we aren't really supposed to discuss the current conditions of Translink.

Anyways, we were just wondering where 9201 is. It hasn't been in service since last December, and the Wiki says nothing about it being retired.

I've personally passed by RTC and HTC (TCs that store retired buses) and I haven't seen it parked in any of the death rows or among other in-service units.

47 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

This topic came up between me another member here on a facebook group in which we aren't really supposed to discuss the current conditions of Translink.

Anyways, we were just wondering where 9201 is. It hasn't been in service since last December, and the Wiki says nothing about it being retired.

I've personally passed by RTC and HTC (TCs that store retired buses) and I haven't seen it parked in any of the death rows or among other in-service units.

Look, there is no need to create a whole new thread just for one bus. It's probably under refurbishment right now. Buses under refurbishment typically take 3-4 months to complete refurbishment, and 9201 is well within that time frame. 

• Like 4