Your first OS and your all time computer models

Antarctica

So guys, being an early 1990s guy, I decided to open a thread about what is your first and favorite operating systems of all time? In addition, what is your favorite computer or mobile device you used during your lifetime?

For starters, I go with this:

Operating systems: Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98 SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, iPhone OS (pre-2010), iOS 5-7
Computer models: IBM Ambra (until 2006), hp Pavilion 952x (XP), lenovo ThinkCentre, Dell D610, Dell Optiplex 740, Gigabyte custom (current), Tandex computers (elementary), Dell Optiplex GX260 (secondary).
Mobile devices: iPod touch 4th, iPhone 4 (current)

Any computers or devices you used with any OS during your childhood (regardless whether you're at home or school). 

Commodore BASIC 2.0 on the Vic 20

After that I had ...

- Commodore C64 running Commodore BASIC 2.0

- Tandy 1000 TX running MS DOS 2.11

- Tandy 386 running Windows 3.1

- Macintosh Performa 5200 running Mac OS 7

- Dell Pentium running Windows 95

- Some no name brand laptop running Windows 95

- Some no name brand desktop running Windows 98

- HP laptop running Windows 98

- Acer laptop running Windows XP

- Gateway laptop running Windows 7

- Acer laptop running Windows 7

- Gateway laptop running Windows 10

- MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10

• Like 1

OS: Windows: XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10  IOS: 4,5,6,7,8,9.10   Android: 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, 6.0

Computers: Macbook Pro 2010, DIY desktop computer w/ Intel Core i5 4460, 8GB DDR3-1333 2x 1TB HDD in RAID, R7 370 (WHY!) and 750W EVGA Supernova B2

• 2 weeks later...

First OS: Windows XP in Kindergarten (in 2004), I never used a computer before then. My mom had some sort of Mac back then so had I used it before Kindergarten, my first would've been Mac OS (although I wouldn't have really liked it, I've always been a windows guy).

All time computers: probably my old custom machine. Couldn't remember the specs off the top of my head, but I think it was just one of the Austin Evans builds. I ended up selling that in an attempt to buy a USDM Honda Odyssey, but they were asking too much for it and actually sold it for asking price. I should've saved that money instead of spending it on several things, because I ended up getting a 93 Camry that got totaled last December, and I could've bought a better car (currently bussing). Also, my Surface Pro 1. Served, and still serving me for about 5 years or so. Internal SSD is only 64gb but I have several 256gb sd cards to compensate for that :) Still running windows 8. Favorite computer OS's: Windows XP, 7, 8, and I'm beginning to appreciate 10 a bit

Mobile devices: OnePlus 2 aka the Chris Cassidy phone (I had 2 but they both broke, and their warranty support people suck because they threw my first one in water instead of fixing it; my second one was my own fault so I sold it for parts), iPhone 5 with iOS 6 (my first smartphone, from 8th grade in the spring of 2013, remember going down to Portland to buy it; sold it a few years ago and I missed it so much that I went on eBay and bought another one recently), iPhone 5S with iOS 7 (7 was probably the last good iOS and the 5S was  the device to run it on; I was stupid and updated it to 8 so I sold it and bought the OnePlus). Current device: iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.3. I'm more of an Android guy now, but I can't afford a Pixel and this phone is already way better than any iOS 10-running iPhone. My favorite mobile OS versions would probably be iOS 4, 5, 6, 7 and Android 4.0 and up.

My first OS was Windows 3.11 can't remember the model of computer

after that i had these  

Pentium 133 mhz windows 95 (family pc)

Pentium 4 windows 2000 pro 

dual core dell windows xp then windows vista

Custom quad core pc windows vista updated to windows 8.1 (family pc)

Windows 3.1.1 for workgroups; that would just NOT crash! Or DOS 6.2.2 with 1 Directory+ by Bourbaki, Inc., a shell program similar to the original Windows 1.0 My favorite machine was a Laser XT IBM clone that I upgraded to one meg of RAM (above 640K was called extended or expanded memory) and a 20m hard drive on an expansion card (called a hard card by some). I finally found a color CGA card for it; what a system. My first internet experience was at 1200 baud as I could not afford a 4800 baud modem. Oh, and that wide-bed daisy-wheel printer, it had to go (ever sit next to a machine gun being fired?:wacko:) and was replaced by a dot matrix printer. Hey Antarctica: "Thanks for the memories."; I had some fun with that rig.

I was surprised to find this link to an archive of 1Directory+ :

https://archive.org/details/The1DIR

• Like 1

With me being a early 80's person.

My first computer experience was (iirc) Apple II (with the large 3 inch floppy disks) Then every Version of Macintosh right up to the first iMac through my school years. (Does this make me a Mac person? )  

Currently I'm using a Windows based laptop (Win 10)

My fav mobile devices being my 64GB iPhone SE & 32GB iPad mini 2 LTE/Wifi 

Born in the late 90's.

Windows OS's: Windows 95, 98, 98SE, 2000, XP, Vista (dad's laptop), 7 (library). Current OS: Windows XP (f*ck you Microsoft).

Mac OS's: Mac OS 8.6 (school), 9 (school), X10.4 (not sure if I ever used 10.0-10.3), 10.5 (school), 10.6 (school). Current OS: Mac OSX 10.4.11 & 9.2.2 (f*ck you Apple).

PC's: Packard Bell something (until 2003-ish), Dad's Custom Build (until 2007), Dad's Acer Laptop (until 2010), Mom's Acer Netbook (2009-2010), Gateway LT2016U Netbook (2010-Present).

Macs: iMac G3 Tray & Slot Loading various colors (school, 2003-2006, 2009-2011; bought 3 of them home in 2011-2012), iMac G5 (2005-Present), iMac Intel Polycarbonate (school, 2009-2013).

Misc.: In 2012 I started to collect old PC's & old Macs. I had around 16 computers altogether by the time I was 16. There's too many to name, but I had a lot of stuff ranging from 1994-2007. Sadly my collection is no longer with us, but I still have a couple machines. My favorite is preserved by my friend, a Dell Optiplex GX110 running Windows 98SE, 2000/XP.

Mobile devices: Casio Flip phone

I have a lot of this stuff on my youtube channel TheCRTman.

• 3 months later...

• Custom 8088 4 MHz (turbo 8 MHz) + MS-DOS 5.0. My father would program BASIC math exercices for me (198x-1998);

• "Portable" IBM PS/2 P-70, 386 processor + MS-DOS 5.0 + Windows FW 3.11. Undestructible machine (1997-1998);

IBM Aptiva, AMD K6-2 processor (350 MHz?) + Windows 98→2000 (1998-2004);

Various PCs (286, 386 and Pentium I) assembled with various parts I recycled + MS-DOS 5.0→6.1 + Windows FW 3.1→95 (2001-2003);

Macintosh Performa 52xx all-in-one, Motorola 68k PowerPC processor + Mac OS 7→8.1→8.6, one of my fav machines (2002-2004);

Compaq Deskpro AMD K6-2 350 MHz + Windows 2000. This thing had an intermittent-working SCSI hard drive storing a whopping 40 GB. (2004-2008);

Dell desktop with a Pentium III 450 MHz + Windows 2000→Ubuntu 8.04 up to 10.10 (2008-2011);

Dell Inspiron 15" with a dual 1.66 GHz + Ubuntu 10.04→Kubuntu 14.04. Cheap machine (payed 250$!!). The casing fell apart, I fixed it with... duct tape! (2010-2016);

Compaq Presario with a triple core  2 GHz + Kubuntu 12.04→Xubuntu 16.04. (2012-...);

Lenovo Thinkpad T420 with a Core i5 2.5 GHz + Xubuntu 16.04 (2016-...). This machine can do 1,575,000,000 times more operations per minute than the computer from my childhood.

Almost all of my family's PCs have been HP/Compaq since the Windows XP era (although we used Toshiba in the early days) that my dad acquired from his workplace over the years. Models uncertain, but they have always been business-oriented models, through to today, when we are using EliteBook PCs - we are currently using 8460p and 8470p models (except for a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 I purchased back in 2014, and a Lenovo ThinkPad T530 that my university leased to me as part of my program).

As for operating systems, the oldest I have used was Windows 95, which came out mere months before I was born - at that time I was one of the few of my age to have used a PC regularly. Since then, I have used PCs running every Windows version since then (even Vista, though only for a few days). I remember we got Windows XP within a year of its release and did not migrate off it until less than a year before the first Windows 8 preview was made public. Even so, we jumped past Vista and went straight to Windows 7, which we stayed on for four more years until we qualified for the free Windows 10 upgrade.

Today, the only PC at home which does not run Windows 10 is the one that my university has leased to me for the last two years (a Dell Latitude E5550 on Windows 8.1 Enterprise - though it will get Windows 10 during my next software refresh - if so).

I would like to post again to talk about my mobile devices, but I'll see if this thread gains more activity first.

• 1 year later...

I was born in the early 2000s so my First OS was Windows XP on an old Pentium 3 Dell Dimention.  My family had a Windows 95 computer (I think it was a Dell or a Compaq) before but I always remembered it as "the archaic computer in the basement" and never used it.  My parents bought an iMac Late 2011 with an Core I5 with Mac OS 10.7 preinstalled and I used that all the time.  Probably my first time being addicted to technology.  My two computers (that I own and actually still have) is a Dell Insprion 14 Windows 8.1 laptop (later upgraded to 10) and a DIY PC with a Core i5 and a Nvidia GTX1050 I built back in January of 2017.  

• 2 months later...

At risk of dating myself:

First computer:  Some Commodore that ran their version of Microsoft line number BASIC and came up to a Ready prompt on boot.

First PC:  Some XT clone running DOS 3.30.  It had a 20 MB hard drive and a Hercules graphics card instead of one of the IBM MDA/CGA/EGA types, and the full 640 KB that we were all told ought to be enough for anybody.

First Amiga:  1000 with a third party 1 MB RAM expansion in a huge folded sheet metal chassis on the sidecar expansion slot plus a bunch of external 1010 drives etc.

First Mac:  2004 12 inch Powerbook G4.  This was a nice machine.  All the connectivity and power you could want for the time (Firewire 400, 800, USB 2.0, internal modem, wifi, bluetooth) all packed into this great tiny package.  This was a professional's tool.  Now all you get is one USB C port on their compact portable.

First PDA/smartphone/tablet:  Palm Pilot m130.

First embedded microcontroller:  Intel 8051.  Assembly language on this thing was dead easy to pick up years after learning on the 8088 on that XT clone except for a few instructions that were renamed.  Who knew SUB became SUBB.  The development environment had a bugged simulator so writing programs that would execute on both the simulator and on the silicon on the development boards was a challenge that led to a hell of an argument with an eastern European guy about why I was hardcoding things I'd normally use the assembler environment to do the setup for.

First programmable logic device:  Some nasty piece of junk that had to be programmed in ABEL in a nasty crashy development environment.  We nicknamed it UNSTABEL.

First field programmable gate array:  One of the Xilinx Coolrunner II FPGAs that came with a really nice development environment where you could use VHDL, or go directly from gate schematics with the schematic capture utility, and a great simulator that was accurate to the actual hardware, as well as a full suite of diagnostic and testbenching tools that could examine anything running on the simulator or on an actual FPGA hooked up to the development system.

How could I forget my first PLC. That was a Siemens unit that you programmed in Siematic. That was pretty wild for me at the time designing software by drawing up electrical schematics so effectively writing computer programs by drawing out relay logic in a visual development environment. Sometimes polar opposites do meet.

Windows 98. I used it until 2007 when I bought a new computer for Vista. Interestingly, my Windows 98 computer was actually assembled by my mom's brother who is really into everything about IT. My Vista computer was replaced by Windows 10 in 2016.

Grew up with WIndows 3.1 and 95, My first computer was an Emachines E600 Emonster with windows 98 in 1999, My next machine would be a laptop, Toshiba Satellite 5205-S505 with XP in 2003, My next machine would be a Gateway GT5058 in 2006, XP. 

2009 would see me buying a custom built computer from CyberpowerPC, It had an AMD 940 BE and a GT 250 gpu, It originally had Vista but within a week I was given a key for 7 Ultimate.

2011 would see me building my first pc, Went with an AMD 1100T and a GTX 260 with 7 ultimate.

2014 to now with my current main home built pc with an Intel 4770k, gtx 970(originally a gtx 650ti) and 10 Home.

2018 saw me buying an MSI GL62 laptop, 7700m and gtx 150ti with 10 Home.