Silly Tilley

US 2017 transit bus orders/deliveries

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have taken the initiative to create a spreadsheet listing US 2017 orders/deliveries across the US sorted by manufacturer and then added up. The information is based on firm orders that will be delivered in 2017 and is sourced from sources such as manufacturer press releases, city council agendas/reports, and transit agency board meetings. Given that we're already 2 months into 2017 some of the listed orders may have already been delivered and some of the larger orders may have the majority delivered in 2017 but a small portion in 2018, I have included these in this file.

Comments/additions/corrections welcome. I am sure I probably missed a few orders but I feel ig gives a overall accurate picture. Perhaps if there's enough interest in something like this we can start a spreadsheet for 2018 orders/deliveries.

A few comments about the 2017 spreadsheet:

• Massachusetts proved to be a pretty frustrating state to find info about due to the way their public transit systems are set up and governed, and the lack of material that is published publically. If anyone can fill in some gaps or has info, please do share.
  • I have not included Boston's current order of Xcelsiors as it appears delivery of a good chunk of them was in 2016 but if there is a firm 2017 number (such as a option exercised) I will add it)
  • For Valley Metro, I have listed the Phoenix numbers only as they were the only ones I could find firm 2017 numbers on.
  • NICE was announced by New Flyer as ordering 33 XN40/XN60 however reading the press release it seems a re-announcement of buses that have already been delivered, so I have not included this order.
  • I am aware of Atlanta's order for 270 Gilligs but reading some of the board meeting minutes and budget documents it appears the first buses won't arrive until 2018.

Please do post if you have any comments/additions.corrections. Give the spreadsheet a few seconds to load fully if it appears broken up or out of alignment. Hope some of you find the info useful:

US 2017 deliveries Last updated: February 22, 2017

Based on the info in the spreadsheet currently, the main 3:

New Flyer: 2145

Gillig: 1756

Nova: 404

5 people like this

You are wrong about the San Diego Gillig delivery as there will be 46 Gillig buses. 10 for In house and 36 for contract as their board mentioned 46 buses in FY2018. 

Also forgot to mention the 10 artics (XN60) that are to be delivered for San Diego MTS as options. 

Can anyone find any info about bus orders for Montgomery County Ride On ? I know they have a contract with Gillig but that's all the info I can find. 

12 hours ago, vvozz said:

Can anyone find any info about bus orders for Montgomery County Ride On ? I know they have a contract with Gillig but that's all the info I can find. 

They are getting 17 new buses, all of which are supposed to be for a new express service between Bethesda and Gaithersburg. The rendering indicates that they will be 40ft Gillig BRT Plus buses, but I am not sure about the powertrain or fuel type they will use (could be either diesel or CNG).

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MDMONTGOMERY/bulletins/192abc4#.WOex85_2TSc.facebook 

1 person likes this

Interesting. I hope these buses come with Voith transmissions. I prefer to operate the 03-04 model Orion VII because of the Voith tranny, I feel they are much smoother than the Allison Tranny especially in the newer Gilligs. I really hope Ride On orders from New Flyers though. I do like the Gilligs but a variety would be nice.

18 hours ago, vvozz said:

Interesting. I hope these buses come with Voith transmissions. I prefer to operate the 03-04 model Orion VII because of the Voith tranny, I feel they are much smoother than the Allison Tranny especially in the newer Gilligs. I really hope Ride On orders from New Flyers though. I do like the Gilligs but a variety would be nice.

Although some authorities like Voith, I'd bet on them getting the standard Allison Transmission. I agree that Orion VII with Voith are a smooth ride (I often ride the 2005-06 models on WMATA). Ride-On should have two major orders coming in the next few years: one for the replacement of the Orion VII CNGs (I'd be surprised if it didn't go to Gillig), and one for a BRT service in Northern Montgomery County (not the one I mentioned earlier). They have briefly demoed Diesel artics from both NFI (borrowed from the Denver RTD) and Nova. More recently they demoed a NFI XN60 with doors on both sides of the bus (there's several videos on youtube of it). This BRT line will not open until around 2020. 

Apparently, LA Metro has a big order to be announced, though "environmentalists" want it all to be 100 percent EV while Metro wants majority CNG. I guess those "environmentalists" don't realize that the ISL G has near zero emissions. 

Apparently, New Flyer has a back log until 2019, and LA might want the buses quicker so Nova and Gillig are possibly contenders (unless they too have backlogs). Gillig has a new factory which could allow for a bigger production capacity. 

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, XN40 said:

those "environmentalists" don't realize that the ISL G has near zero emissions. 

Well about 0 if you exclude CO2 an CO. 

Does NFI really have that much of a backlog though? I know a lot of authorities can get quicker delivery times by excercising options or purchase rights from previous orders.

1 person likes this

I am sure LA Metro could get preferred slots as they are a big customer. 

My home TA (Chatham Area Transit), will be receiving 1 Gillig early to show off for the annual Georgia Transit Association 2017 conference that will be held in Savannah, GA December 6th-8th. We are also on a state paratransit vehicle contract to purchase 26 paratransit vehicles. I'd assume once the contract has been awarded to a builder, they should be arriving some time later this year.

Source: 

This link is the correct video.

1 person likes this

Miami Dade Transit will be ordering 300 XN40 buses arriving later next year 

1 person likes this

On 5/6/2017 at 7:05 PM, WMATAC40LF said:

Well about 0 if you exclude CO2 an CO. 

Does NFI really have that much of a backlog though? I know a lot of authorities can get quicker delivery times by excercising options or purchase rights from previous orders.

LA I believe has exercised all options on their current contract, but they are looking for 40 and 60' buses.

1 person likes this

KCM has 100 Gillig Low Floor Hybrids on order. I believe they are options off a state contract.

2 people like this

San Diego is ordering 17 additional XN60 buses for Rapid Route 225. 

3 people like this

DC Circulator in Washington, DC will be getting 40 new buses this year, 12 of which are supposed to be electric (model type is not yet known, but they demoed a Proterra a while back). The other 28 should be BAE XDE40s (numbered in the 2100s), and they will replace the 2003 Vanhools. This comes amid concerns regarding the Circulator's safety: 

http://wamu.org/story/17/05/15/drivers-ask-safe-today-d-c-circulator-struggles-maintenance/ 

Also, I previously mentioned that Ride-On will be getting 17 Gillig BRT Plus 40' Diesel buses. In addition, they will also get 8 more Diesel Low Floor Advantages (to replace the remaining Orion Vs), and 34 CNG Gilligs so they can commence the retirement of the 2003 Orion VII CNGs.

http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail.aspx?Item_ID=21097 

2 people like this

Information on the 27 XN60 buses came from a board document in regards to MTS signing a deal with Daniels tire service for bus tires. MTS has a weird deal wtih Transdev that all new buses to SBMF need to be delivered with a set of tires. 

On 2/22/2017 at 4:39 AM, Silly Tilley said:

Hi all,

I have taken the initiative to create a spreadsheet listing US 2017 orders/deliveries across the US sorted by manufacturer and then added up. The information is based on firm orders that will be delivered in 2017 and is sourced from sources such as manufacturer press releases, city council agendas/reports, and transit agency board meetings. Given that we're already 2 months into 2017 some of the listed orders may have already been delivered and some of the larger orders may have the majority delivered in 2017 but a small portion in 2018, I have included these in this file.

Comments/additions/corrections welcome. I am sure I probably missed a few orders but I feel ig gives a overall accurate picture. Perhaps if there's enough interest in something like this we can start a spreadsheet for 2018 orders/deliveries.

A few comments about the 2017 spreadsheet:

• Massachusetts proved to be a pretty frustrating state to find info about due to the way their public transit systems are set up and governed, and the lack of material that is published publically. If anyone can fill in some gaps or has info, please do share.
  • I have not included Boston's current order of Xcelsiors as it appears delivery of a good chunk of them was in 2016 but if there is a firm 2017 number (such as a option exercised) I will add it)
  • For Valley Metro, I have listed the Phoenix numbers only as they were the only ones I could find firm 2017 numbers on.
  • NICE was announced by New Flyer as ordering 33 XN40/XN60 however reading the press release it seems a re-announcement of buses that have already been delivered, so I have not included this order.
  • I am aware of Atlanta's order for 270 Gilligs but reading some of the board meeting minutes and budget documents it appears the first buses won't arrive until 2018.

Please do post if you have any comments/additions.corrections. Give the spreadsheet a few seconds to load fully if it appears broken up or out of alignment. Hope some of you find the info useful:

US 2017 deliveries Last updated: February 22, 2017

Based on the info in the spreadsheet currently, the main 3:

New Flyer: 2145

Gillig: 1756

Nova: 404

MTA in New York is receiving 5 XE40s and 5 Proterra BE40s this December and 10 XDE40s and 371 XD40's, however the XDEs and XDs are over several years. How many 2017 units is unknown at this time. Its a split order with Nova however the LFS's wont arrive until 2018.

They also have increased the XD60 order from 139 to 192.

Keep an eye on these two threads from another forum, as poster "East New York" is a transportation consultant with inside knowledge:

-http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/29211-mta-bus-operations-fleet-depots/

-http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/50477-2017-2020-deliveries-revised-1776-local-and-307-new-express-buses/

LACMTA ordered 295 El Dorado Axxess buses (40' CNG) with options for 305 along with 35 XE60 for Orange Line and 60 XN60 buses. 

3 people like this

Credible evidence I saw on a Facebook transit group indicates that BWI Marshall airport outside of Baltimore is going to receive 20 NFI XN60s this fall (they'll replace their AN440LF CNGs).

2 people like this