2018 60' Articulated Bus Order

Blue Bus Fan

6 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I find that to be a poor excuse from TransLink in my opinion. It's not like the current hybrids do any better on the hills... And some big-name transit agencies (HSR, MTA New York, RTA Las Vegas) have already bought a bunch. I can see the New Flyer XE60 or XN60 model having a great amount of potential in Surrey or on the 701 / Lougheed Highway with their mostly flat terrain.

in an ideal world, i'd have XD60 exclusively for BTC, XN60 for PCTC & HTC, XE60 for RTC

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

What was it wrapped in?

It was wrapped in that white art wrap, white with curve lines. That's the best I can describe it. Similar to 18036 I think.

I was doing the 49 this morning and I passed it at UBC loop and just got a glimpse but I saw the unit number 18046

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Just hold up (nobody do anything)

2 hours ago, Thomasw said:

Found this pic on a news report

1B225209-16E9-4EAA-B0EA-884AAB18E8A7.thumb.jpeg.1d12600faa9b3e5ad9ed3a62a4d68b13.jpeg

I’m confused. I thought the order was for 2018 units not 2019. Was there a second order?

Most bus orders have options for future years.  So, there was the initial tender for the artics in 2018 which was enough for D60LF replacement, and then an option was exercised for the new B-line expansion buses for 2019. 

Now I need to be a little bit blunt, the rhetoric and discussion about this artic order on this board for the last year has been extraordinarily frustrating.  Between people ignoring information about the number of units coming in, which has all been readily available in board reports and on social media for months, in an attempt to claim that the D60LF's would remain in service, to people trying to dictate the discussion there has been a seemingly endless cycle of the same points, several of which had no basis in reality.  I said it before, anyone who thought that some D60LF's would remain in service for the new B-Lines was deluding themselves and trying to impose their foamer fantasy on reality.  The D60LF's are old, tired buses; and after the fiasco that was trying to launch the 96 with the 1998's there is no way Translink was going to risk a repeat.

And, given the numbers in the initial tender and what was being reported in the board meetings (going from 63 to 110), it should have been obvious that an option on the order had been exercised and would get it's own number sequence, just like the 16200's were an option on the 15000 order.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

Most bus orders have options for future years.  So, there was the initial tender for the artics in 2018 which was enough for D60LF replacement, and then an option was exercised for the new B-line expansion buses for 2019. 

Now I need to be a little bit blunt, the rhetoric and discussion about this artic order on this board for the last year has been extraordinarily frustrating.  Between people ignoring information about the number of units coming in, which has all been readily available in board reports and on social media for months, in an attempt to claim that the D60LF's would remain in service, to people trying to dictate the discussion there has been a seemingly endless cycle of the same points, several of which had no basis in reality.  I said it before, anyone who thought that some D60LF's would remain in service for the new B-Lines was deluding themselves and trying to impose their foamer fantasy on reality.  The D60LF's are old, tired buses; and after the fiasco that was trying to launch the 96 with the 1998's there is no way Translink was going to risk a repeat.

And, given the numbers in the initial tender and what was being reported in the board meetings (going from 63 to 110), it should have been obvious that an option on the order had been exercised and would get it's own number sequence, just like the 16200's were an option on the 15000 order.

Are there any good sources on the 1998 96 fiasco? News articles, etc.? I can't find much on Google.

1 hour ago, Large Cat said:

Are there any good sources on the 1998 96 fiasco? News articles, etc.? I can't find much on Google.

Everything was internal - Dont know how to verify this but the version I was told was that someone in Surrey City Council got on the nerves of someone at TransLink about the project

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

There is helicopter footage of 19004 on some news outlets. Can anyone figure out what drivetrain it has from that?

Not sure anymore if this belongs in this thread or in the 2019 thread...

The aerial photos seem to show that it's BAE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WillieTL said:

So is 19004 going to be towed here to be repaired or is it going somewhere in Washington state or back to nf factory?

I heard there's a NFI service center in Renton WA, so most likely it will be fixed there.