2018 60' Articulated Bus Order

Blue Bus Fan

1 hour ago, Brando737 said:

Only thing I can think of is they reached out to local artists to design something for the temporary wraps.  Either that or somebody had fun with random stuff on photoshop lol.

I spend so much time defending TransLink to my non-transit nerd friends.... Then they do stupid stuff like this. Cannot even make it up, get rid of a successful brand people actually like and relate to for literally no reason, implimentation of a hideous paint scheme, having the new paint scheme not match the almost brand new visual standards, and then wrapping the buses because this all happened too soon. Good times! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

In addition to the 63 (18001-18063) arriving now and over the next few months, it seems that there is another order of 47 60-foot artics for 2019 (page 83 of https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/board_minutes_and_reports/2018/October/18_10_04_Open_Board_Meeting_Report.pdf , and also alluded to in the comments section of https://buzzer.translink.ca/2018/11/why-are-translink-buses-green-now/ ), for a total of 110 new buses. Will all 110 be green? Does anyone know if any other buses (e.g. 16201-16226) be painted into the green as well? I don't think 110 buses are sufficient to service the 95, 96, 99, + 3 more "RapidBus" routes, as already around 75 buses are needed to operate the 95+96+99 at peak hours.

(I'm pretty new here, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)

4 hours ago, Dane said:

What's to assess?

Ordered: 47.

Are these options? A new order? This thread was supposed to be a continuation of the 2015 Artic order thread in the first place since these 52 artics for 2018 are exercised options off what became 15001-15021.

It's a new order, until I can get proof that these are exercised options, I guess.

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Are these options? A new order? This thread was supposed to be a continuation of the 2015 Artic order thread in the first place since these 52 artics for 2018 are exercised options off what became 15001-15021.

It's a new order, until I can get proof that these are exercised options, I guess.

The most recent post in that thread was made in July of 2017; it has clearly lost relevance. This is the most appropriate place to discuss any further matters pertaining to the incoming XDE60s.

1 hour ago, briguychau said:

"Artists like Diyan have been commissioned to graphically wrap the exterior of  30 articulated buses traveling on major routes in Metro Vancouver throughout 2019."

They're going to wrap 30 of the new artics?????

52 minutes ago, FlyingPig said:

"Artists like Diyan have been commissioned to graphically wrap the exterior of  30 articulated buses traveling on major routes in Metro Vancouver throughout 2019."

The article also mentioned that buses will be wrapped throughout the year. So my guess is that all new 18000's will be wrapped as they enter service until the new B line launch in September. 

48 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

Heard on Facebook the rear curbside destination sign on 18001 is blank. I assume it won't be used until the rapidbus system officially begins to operate later this year unless TransLink is leaving it blank to try and further disguise the buses.

Again... what in the red hell are you talking about?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting... from TransLink's own video, there does appears to be a new destination sign just to the right of the rear door. But I honestly think they just didn't program it in yet...

Also, it seems like some people already know what the real reason is behind those wraps, as there are already a few complaints about wasting resources on their blog. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Again... what in the red hell are you talking about?

I shouldn't be on here when I'm super tired and deprived of sleep I guess. I was talking about the destination signs in the windows in front of the rear (third) door, behind the joint; from the pics and videos I've seen of these buses so far, they aren't active yet as only the usual three are displaying messages. 

9 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

8 hours ago, Phillip said:

The article also mentioned that buses will be wrapped throughout the year. So my guess is that all new 18000's will be wrapped as they enter service until the new B line launch in September. 

Maybe they're wrapping 30 of them so that they can put them in rotation, and take out ~30 existing XDE60s (maybe 16201-16226?) and paint them green also? And by September they'll have 30 they can unwrap, 33 new (18031-18063), and ~30 repainted in green, for a total of ~90 green buses ready to go?

I feel like it's wrong for me to say this but I'd rather see the terrible RapidBus livery than this cover-up wrap on the 30 XDE60s. Also, how do we know that TransLink is actually scrapping the B-Line name entirely and not just branding the buses similar to how the Nova Suburbans are branded with ExpressBus? 

8 hours ago, briguychau said:

Maybe they're wrapping 30 of them so that they can put them in rotation, and take out ~30 existing XDE60s (maybe 16201-16226?) and paint them green also? And by September they'll have 30 they can unwrap, 33 new (18031-18063), and ~30 repainted in green, for a total of ~90 green buses ready to go?

Well, we're getting 110 new XDE60 total, they are also retiring the remaining D60LFs. I think they will transfer out buses in BTC to replace the D60LFs while they take the new XDE60. All 110 new XDE60 is supposed to come green.