Roam Transit (Banff & Canmore, AB)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:27 PM, bus is coming 1965 said:

Where do they put the fleet number? Ive been looking at pictures of there buses and can't find the fleet number anywhere

On 10/22/2018 at 1:29 PM, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

I don’t think there is any you just have to tell by the livery 

Correct, fleet numbers have not yet been applied. During my visit in 2017, even the Smart Bus display had the label "Moose Bus" applied. Some of the earlier units still have their original single digit numbers on interior panels but these are no longer official.

The 1000-series numbers are only internal at this point, but were listed on an official fleet roster from last year. My understanding is that these fleet numbers will be applied in the near future, especially as the fleet continues to grow (and at some point soon, they will run out of unique animals to feature on wrap designs).

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 8:36 PM, M. Parsons said:

Year round service to Lake Louise commenced on October 9.

http://roamtransit.com/2018/09/lakelouisebanffcentre/

I was in Lake Louise about a week after it started, around about 3-4pm. There was at least half 8-12 riders waiting at the stop in Lake Louise. Definitely has seemed to hit the ground running...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see MCI bring over a modernized version of the smaller rear doors they had from their MCI Classics. They definitely have not forgotten about their previous transit experience from within the company. I'm wondering though, why so close to the front of the bus? Would it not be more efficient to put it in the very back of the bus (to prevent the front-door traffic jams in and out of the bus), or closer to the rear wheels, like other (typical North American) transit buses?

On 5/28/2019 at 11:13 PM, armorand said:

Interesting to see MCI bring over a modernized version of the smaller rear doors they had from their MCI Classics. They definitely have not forgotten about their previous transit experience from within the company. I'm wondering though, why so close to the front of the bus? Would it not be more efficient to put it in the very back of the bus (to prevent the front-door traffic jams in and out of the bus), or closer to the rear wheels, like other (typical North American) transit buses?

I think it's because most of the design is still derived from a typical suburban commuter coach... And thus quick boarding and unloading were seen as less important than rider accessibility and comfort.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:13 AM, armorand said:

Those are plug doors and in no way resemble what were used on the classics.

Regarding the door placement, the space immediately ahead of the rear wheels is already occupied with the fuel tank and A/C condenser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Those are plug doors and in no way resemble what were used on the classics.

Regarding the door placement, the space immediately ahead of the rear wheels is already occupied with the fuel tank and A/C condenser.

I meant, just the general shape and modernized look of the rear doors. The narrow rectangular shape (big on height/length but low on door width) plug doors obviously aren't found on the Classics... it just looks vaguely similar. That's all - it looks interesting. 

example: http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/manitoba/winnipeg/classic/1988classic/191010-2104winnipeg302.jpg - narrow back door, narrow long rectangles in the design, like in the ROAM coach. Only differences is just the fact its a plug door, the flush designs between panel and glass, the doors are significantly larger than the Classic doors in terms of length top-to-bottom (proportionally same length as the front doors, but quite larger due to coach size), and obviously the tinted glass. 

As for door placement, I never knew that. (I mostly looked into transit vehicles and trains before, but never really got into coaches specifically, especially since I barely get any time to research and look around CPTDB anymore, minus Calgary and Winnipeg - can't even remember the last time I went transitfanning or contributing to the Wiki). So thanks. Learning something new everyday!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/28/2020 at 1:05 PM, downbeat said:

COVID-19-related service reductions going into effect today.

https://roamtransit.com/2020/03/roam-service-reductions-starting-march-28/

CBC mentioned an almost 85% unemployment rate right now, for the area... are they still forecasting enough ridership to keep the routes going? Or is everyone about to book it out of the mountains, and leave ROAM high & dry?

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2021 at 3:53 PM, MatthewB said:

Reservation pilot to launch for Johnston Canyon and Lake Louise buses this summer

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/banff-roam-transit-reservations-1.6000542

Curious whether this will be just as much of a gongshow as other provincial/national park-related reservation systems.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...