Roam Transit (Banff & Canmore, AB)

I received a fleet survey from Banff and the 2 new Arbocs are indeed numbered 7 and 8. However, I still do not know which is which. The two wraps in Peter's photo are of fox (overall white wrap) and deer (overall green wrap). If anybody can provide info on which is which, that would be appreciated. Buses 5 (moose) and 6 (big horn sheep) have already been confirmed.

Kevin Lo and I are headed out that way this coming weekend and we are hoping to confirm those two Arbocs. That is if they are out on the road...

So, #8 has a rear emergency exit door on the back of the bus and seats 20 passengers, has air conditioning, as well as a small luggage rack over the left rear axle. Here are a couple of photos of #8. Oh and a shot of #5 as well.

Edit: These photos are now on my website in my Bow Valley Regional Transit Photo Gallery at this direct link:

http://www.busdrawin...banff/index.htm

Edited by BCT-3122-D800-10240

• 1 year later...

I believe all the buses in the fleet have now been renumbered into the 1000s.

I was in Canmore yesterday, and found #1003 running the route 3 (Banff - Canmore regional service). Typically this route is served by one of the diesel Novabuses.

I'm quite impressed with the improvements that have been made in Canmore to accomodate the regional service. The downtown terminal has public washrooms, a heated bus shelter, bike racks with roofs, and secure bike lockers. Other stops outside downtown have proper landscaping, benches, and real-time arrival signs. Effort has clearly been put into making the service a success. :)

• 3 months later...

Local transit on horizon for Canmore
By: Tanya Foubert

Rocky Mountain Outlook
Posted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2014

The community of Canmore is but a few meetings away from a future with local transit on the streets.

Canmore council will consider approving local transit in its 2015 capital budget later this fall, after a feasibility study is completed into the expansion of transit within the community.

[...]

• 1 month later...

Read this in the Rocky Mountain Outllook yesterday while out in the mountains, looks like the fire was pretty bad from the pictures.

Eight passengers on a Banff Roam bus got more than they bargained for on Tuesday (Dec. 2) when the vehicle caught fire.

Bow Valley Regional Transit Commission chair Sean Krausert said the incident occurred at 1:54 p.m.

“There was a fire on the elk bus on route number one,” he said. “It was in between the Rimrock and Sulphur Gondola and the driver and eight passengers on board were thankfully able to get off the bus unharmed.”

Krausert said Banff Fire Department responded quickly to the fire and are investigating the cause. Service on the route was resumed within an hour.

“We thankfully have a spare ratio and we are confident we can maintain our service levels on all routes,” he said.

How many spare buses the service may need in the future with expanded routes being proposed in Canmore is something the commission planned on reviewing next year.

While the commission has applied for Greentrip funding from the province for more buses next year, Krausert said replacing the elk bus will be dealt with through insurance.

“We certainly are hopeful that insurance will be able to cover everything,” he said. “The buses are serviced every month and so all the buses are kept in very good shape, so I don’t know what the problem was and I’m interested in knowing what it was.”

The bus is one of four biodiesel electric hybrids purchased by Banff in 2008 for $2.61 million.

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/20141204/RMO0801/312049992/-1/rmo08/roam-bus-fire-under-investigation

The Bow Valley’s Roam Transit service is down one bus for the time being after a bus carrying passengers to the Banff Upper Hot Springs caught fire on Tuesday afternoon.

Banff fire chief Silvio Adamo said the department received a call at 1:54 p.m. Tuesday after a passenger departing the bus at the hot springs parking lot noticed a fire on the bus’ top engine compartment.

The bus was subsequently evacuated of all eight passengers and the driver, none of whom were injured. Though the bus appeared heavily damaged, there didn’t appear to be damage to adjacent vehicles.

The Banff fire department responded promptly with three trucks including two pumpers and a dozen firefighters.

“It’s preliminary information at this point; it appears the fire started in the engine compartment on the exterior of the bus. It was flagged by one of the passengers who was getting off and notified the bus driver,” said Adamo, who said fire fighters would investigate further once the fire was extinguished.

The bus is a hybrid and one of four full-sized buses running local routes in Banff. Roam Transit also operates two full-sized buses on its regional transit route between Canmore and Banff and two smaller shuttle-type buses.

http://www.thecragandcanyon.ca/2014/12/03/none-injured-in-roam-bus-fire

1297637984871_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Bus had new engine installed before fire
By: Tanya Foubert
Rocky Mountain Outlook
Posted: Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 06:00 am

A Banff Roam bus that burst into flames last week while in operation had a refurbished engine installed just six weeks before.

Town puts gondola study on books
By: Cathy Ellis
Rocky Mountain Outlook
Posted: Thursday, Dec 11, 2014 06:00 am

Potential alignment of a gondola includes a station at Banff Avenue adjacent to the high school field, a turning station only at Tunnel Mountain between Wolf Street and Tunnel Mountain Drive, The Banff Centre adjacent to the Eric Harvie Theatre, Banff Springs Hotel, the Banff hot springs and the Sulphur Mountain gondola.

Safe to say that number 3 is to be retired and replaced.

http://www.thecragandcanyon.ca/2014/12/10/no-service-delays-as-roam-looks-to-replace-burned-bus

The commission has submitted an insurance claim in the hopes of replacing the bus, which was purchased in 2008 for $640,000, but that process is expected to take a while as the insurer must conduct its own investigation into the incident.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
The bus fleet would be made of two 30-foot long energy efficient, fully wheelchair accessible buses. Their maintenance would be provided in Banff with storage provided in Canmore. The buses would also have bike racks installed on the exterior, similar to the Banff Fleet.

Considering the bike-rack option, would this be Yaxing/NFI, or something else entirely?

• 3 months later...
On 2016-04-03 at 11:24 AM, t_harris01 said:

According to the Grande West site...Bow Valley Transit guess that operates Banff are getting 3 Vicinity buses

I wonder if this is a tag on to the Calgary order. They did that with the most recent Nova's.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2016 at 9:09 PM, Cimon8000 said:

Bow Valley Transit?

From the website (link below), Bow Valley Regional Transit Commission is the government authority for the greater Bow Valley area which includes Banff and Canmore. From a report on their website last year, I know they were looking at a seasonal route between Banff and Lake Louise as well as a local route in Canmore, connecting with the regional route that runs between Banff and Canmore. I would assume the Vicinity buses would be for these routes.

http://roamtransit.com/about/bow-valley-regional-transit-services-commission/

• Like 1

The first Vicinity went into service recently. Delayed a little apparently after a fire on the ship it was on. For the summer, I believe the Vicinity is just going to be a spare unit. The second Vicinity is due later on in the summer. Right now, local Canmore service is just shown as starting in "late 2016".

On 03/04/2016 at 11:24 AM, t_harris01 said:

According to the Grande West site...Bow Valley Transit guess that operates Banff are getting 3 Vicinity buses

Let's get this correct: It's two buses. 

The wording from the release is as follows: "the other 3 buses were purchased by Bow Valley Regional Transit Services Commission and Cape Breton Transit"

3 buses between two agencies... Presumably Cape Breton is getting 1. 

• Like 2