New Chatroom

Hey folks,

Our current chat room was going to stop working in spring of this year (Invision is shutting down the Chat service), so we've gone ahead and installed a new one. And there is no user limit on it! We're trying out having it on the main page of the forum, so let us know what you think!

Just a friendly reminder - the chat room is open to everyone and we expect you to follow the same set of guidelines in the chat room as we do on the forum itself.

Cheers. :)

• Like 2

wow, having chat on the main page is awesome! So far, i like the new chat better than the old one.

i noticed a small problem where some posts take up to a minute to show up, but still seems good besides that .

8 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

They should have that who's online list like the previous chatroom.

Since this chatroom is on the main page, you can scroll down to the box below the chat window that says "Who's Online".

On 2017-01-26 at 8:25 PM, Blue Bus Fan said:

Is there way that I can get rid of it from the main page when I am log in?

I agree. I don't really want to see this when I am on the board. I see Ashton has already had to step in and moderate.

• Like 4

Can we see about collapsing or removing the chatbox from the main page so we don't have to constantly see the nonsense that happens in there?

• Like 10

4 hours ago, awstott said:

Can we see about collapsing or removing the chatbox from the main page so we don't have to constantly see the nonsense that happens in there?

Nonsense like this?

Clipboard03.jpg

• Like 8

On 2017-02-05 at 2:17 PM, awstott said:

Its a pity that I can only hit the like button once...

I say get rid of it.

• Like 5

We've moved the chat room off the front page, back to its own separate page. Access it here or click the 'Chatbox' tab at the top of the page. There should also be some improvements in responsiveness - less lag in displaying messages.

We'll be keeping an eye on it to judge whether this is a feature worth continuing to have on the site or not. If you see content in the chat room that is objectionable, please send me a PM.

Thanks! :D

• Like 9

We've removed the chat room from the site entirely.

Only a very small fraction of users (less than 0.1% of all registered members) were regularly using the chat room, its format caused issues in moderating content that was shared, and as a result, discussion in it didn't always contribute to or represent the site in a positive manner.

If you were part of the small group who did regularly use it, there are lots of great alternatives like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

The chatbox may return to the CPTDB at some point in the future, but we don't think right now is a good time.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2017 at 0:37 AM, 1604 said:

We've removed the chat room from the site entirely.

Only a very small fraction of users (less than 0.1% of all registered members) were regularly using the chat room, its format caused issues in moderating content that was shared, and as a result, discussion in it didn't always contribute to or represent the site in a positive manner.

If you were part of the small group who did regularly use it, there are lots of great alternatives like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

The chatbox may return to the CPTDB at some point in the future, but we don't think right now is a good time.

Late reply, just noticed

Should we have like a official chatroom on another site?

There has been a few different chat rooms that have started since the chat went away.  They were a massive flop.....

Create a WhatsApp or BBM group and you'd probably be way more successful than a dedicated chat.

14 hours ago, awstott said:

There has been a few different chat rooms that have started since the chat went away.  They were a massive flop.....

Create a WhatsApp or BBM group and you'd probably be way more successful than a dedicated chat.

The current one we have now is actually going quite well, we have learned from the ircchat failure. You have to pm me if you want to join, then i will give you instructions and the entrance code.

• Like 2