[Planned] Transitway Project: Cumberland

I'm horrible, everyone saw the Baseline BRT topic and here I am now, Cumberland Transitway topic.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planning-and-development/construction-and-infrastructure-projects/transit/planned

Details:

The City of Ottawa has initiated the preliminary design of the Cumberland Transitway from Innes Road to Tenth Line Road.

With the ongoing development of the East Urban Community, a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) route is being planned to address growing transit needs. This preliminary design incorporates four transit stations at the following locations:

• Chapel Hill (Orleans Boulevard Extension), complete with a grade separation of Orleans Boulevard Extension crossing over the Transitway
  • An at-grade station at future Belcourt Boulevard where it will cross the Cumberland Transitway at grade
  • A grade-separated overpass of the Transitway by Mer Bleue Road, incorporating a station adjacent to the bridge structure
  • A grade separation at Tenth Line Road with the Transitway crossing over Tenth Line Road. A transit station will also be placed at this location for both local buses as well as Transitway buses

City goes back to the drawing board on Blackburn Hamlet road, transit link

Published on: January 26, 2017 | Last Updated: January 26, 2017 1:32 PM EST

Piecing together a new Cumberland Transitway won’t be as easy as the city thought.

A report published this week ahead of Wednesday’s transportation committee meeting says the city needs to find cheaper way to build a road and Transitway between the Blackburn Hamlet Bypass and Brian Coburn Boulevard.

The city estimated that section of road would cost $17.5 million, but after studying the ground conditions, staff realized it would actually cost about $70 million. The plan has been to build this section of road between 2020 and 2025.

So, it’s back to the drawing board for city planners, since there’s no way the city can afford $70 million to build that road link under its “affordable” transportation plan.

The city has also been studying the stretch as a piece of the future Cumberland Transitway, which will run between Blair station and Frank Kenney Road, bringing a beefed-up transit service to Blackburn Hamlet and south Orléans. The Transitway won’t be built until sometime after 2031.

Since a change in the road corridor would affect an adjacent Transitway, the city also has to reconsider the plan for a transit road in this area.

But there’s potential impact to the existing Brian Coburn Boulevard project if the city changes the corridor west of Navan Road. The road is already under construction between Navan Road and Pagé Road and changes to the plan, in the city’s “worst case scenario,” would cost $2 million.

“While unlikely, there is the potential that this amount could be a throwaway cost. Staff will use every possible measure to ensure that this risk is minimized or eliminated,” city staff write in the report.

Brian Coburn Boulevard between Navan Road and Mer Bleu Road is scheduled to be substantially complete by the upcoming fall.

There could also be an extra $50,000 cost to redesigning a planned Chapel Hill park-and-ride lot off Brian Coburn Boulevard at Navan Road.

The city will need to get the National Capital Commission’s approval since the transportation projects are already plugged into the NCC’s greenbelt master plan.

Council’s transportation committee will be asked to approve a statement of work for an environmental assessment of alternative corridors in the Blackburn Hamlet area. The city says it has money in the budget to pay for the study.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-goes-back-to-the-drawing-board-on-blackburn-road-transit-link

CyrusKafaiWu you are not horrible. I thank you for bringing this to my attention  

I live in Orléans and will move close to Brian Coburn and Tenth Line. When I bought the house the plan from the builder indicated the future transitway but when I checked the city website I thought that was dead. So thanks for alerting me to this. 

I am surprised that the city still wants to build this. Yes there are more people moving to the area, am one of them, but despite townhouses the density is not there, there's lot of single houses. Perhaps protecting the route for future development should be enough . 

Frankly what is needed is higher frequency to connect to the Confederation Line on the local routes. That will provide faster transit and the last thing we need is for buses to pile up at Blair station where only a handful of routes are planned to stop. That station is not meant for a lot of people to go through. There's a disconnect between plans.

Right now many colleagues and friends are concerned about connecting there and are openly talking of driving downtown until 2022 when stage 2 opens and the local routes will be distributed on several stations. I am sure many will stick with transit but undoubtedly there will be some who won't. Heck I shouldn't be so sure they won't carry out their threat since it looks like we might see a repeat of the opening of the Transitway.

So I don't think that this project will be well received in our area once it's understood that we will end up at Blair.

East-West don't really work in our area, the 94 is horrible. It's always quicker for me to go to Place and connect there than take the 94. This project seems to replicate the ills of the 94. Even at rush hour there's little car traffic on Innes and most passengers want to go to the Confederation Line. 

Most of the area is served by the 30. It's really quick to go to Blair right now, and will be a better route once it stops at Jeanne d'Arc station. The Transitway will make us detour. 

Blackburn Hamlet is always going to be a problem if OC insists on serving it with the same route that goes to Orléans. It's really two different communities with their own needs. I rarely see people boarding the 94 eastbound. But the Transitway is trying to shoehorn them in. 

City needs to concentrate on Baseline. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 7:20 AM, chimo said:

CyrusKafaiWu you are not horrible. I thank you for bringing this to my attention  

I live in Orléans and will move close to Brian Coburn and Tenth Line. When I bought the house the plan from the builder indicated the future transitway but when I checked the city website I thought that was dead. So thanks for alerting me to this. 

I am surprised that the city still wants to build this. Yes there are more people moving to the area, am one of them, but despite townhouses the density is not there, there's lot of single houses. Perhaps protecting the route for future development should be enough . 

Frankly what is needed is higher frequency to connect to the Confederation Line on the local routes. That will provide faster transit and the last thing we need is for buses to pile up at Blair station where only a handful of routes are planned to stop. That station is not meant for a lot of people to go through. There's a disconnect between plans.

Right now many colleagues and friends are concerned about connecting there and are openly talking of driving downtown until 2022 when stage 2 opens and the local routes will be distributed on several stations. I am sure many will stick with transit but undoubtedly there will be some who won't. Heck I shouldn't be so sure they won't carry out their threat since it looks like we might see a repeat of the opening of the Transitway.

So I don't think that this project will be well received in our area once it's understood that we will end up at Blair.

East-West don't really work in our area, the 94 is horrible. It's always quicker for me to go to Place and connect there than take the 94. This project seems to replicate the ills of the 94. Even at rush hour there's little car traffic on Innes and most passengers want to go to the Confederation Line. 

Most of the area is served by the 30. It's really quick to go to Blair right now, and will be a better route once it stops at Jeanne d'Arc station. The Transitway will make us detour. 

Blackburn Hamlet is always going to be a problem if OC insists on serving it with the same route that goes to Orléans. It's really two different communities with their own needs. I rarely see people boarding the 94 eastbound. But the Transitway is trying to shoehorn them in. 

City needs to concentrate on Baseline. 

As this project is unfunded in the current TMP that's essentially what's being done.

• Like 1