Gainesville Regional Transit System, Florida

alexb320

Here's an update for the Gainesville auctions of the 2001 Nova RTS-06 buses.

• 510 sold for $1,913
  • 511 sold for $618
  • 512 did not sell due to the reserve not being met. It has been relisted.
  • 513 sold for $3,140

As well as 512 being relisted, the following are on the auction block:

507: 4RKENTLA61R835272

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1332&acctid=4740

514: 4RKENTLA91R835279

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1330&acctid=4740

515: 4RKENTLA51R835280 (Bad Transmission)

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1331&acctid=4740

2001 Nova RTS-06 2001 Nova RTS-06 2001 Nova RTS-06

• 2 weeks later...

Found the new schedules that have been printed out a week before fall service starts. Here is a photo of the cover.

Unfortunately, route 62 has been discontinued. I assume it’s due to a lack of ridership as it was one of least used routes in the system along with route 39 & 40.

IMG_0640.JPG

507 sold for $1,125

512 sold for $2,476

514 sold for $1,125

515 sold for $1,125

The remaining 4 buses I didn't have a chance to add the link before:

502: 4RKENTLA21R835267 sold for $2,133

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1347&acctid=4740

503: 4RKENTLAR41R835268 sold for $2,014

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1348&acctid=4740

506: 4RKENTLA41R835271 sold for $1,422. Found this and one other unit for sale on Craigslist.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1349&acctid=4740

508: 4RKENTLAB1R835273 sold for $1,540

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1346&acctid=4740

• 2 weeks later...

A few more updates:

283 sold for $1,777

0116 sold for $2,362

I was able to get some interesting information about RTS last week during a scheduled an inspection of 283 as I was planning on attempting to buy it. I unfortunately, did not buy it. But I still was able to get some interesting info on RTS from the maintenance director.

Of course along with the Novas, 283, & 0116 being auctioned off; 0102, 0105, 0117, & 0120 will also be auctioned off soon.

I was also told that RTS will be getting at least 1 new Diesel bus this year as well as 3 All Electric Gillig buses likely by the end of the year with hopes of putting them in service by the spring 2019 school semester. He told me that Gillig was building 5 total all electric buses with 3 of them coming to Gainesville, 1 going to Altoona testing, and another going to Atlanta.

Heres a local newspaper article that goes into more detail about the electric buses. I'm glad this article came out very soon after me talking with the RTS maintenance director. I was going to share earlier, but didn't want to provide false sounding information.

https://www.gainesville.com/news/20180830/city-to-get-electric-rts-buses

I was also told that RTS is trying to secure funding to purchase up to 40 new Diesel buses. They are trying to do this to lower the fleet age which is considerably high compared to most other like agencies. The first buses to go will be all the buses with Detroit Series 50 engines and the Ex-Palm Tran buses. 

He also mentioned (Though I wouldn't consider this definite) that when Lynx gets their 15 New Flyer articulated buses at the end of this year, RTS may try and purchase 15 Gillig BRTs second Hand to assist in lowering the fleet age.

23 hours ago, alexb320 said:

A few more updates:

283 sold for $1,777

0116 sold for $2,362

I was able to get some interesting information about RTS last week during a scheduled an inspection of 283 as I was planning on attempting to buy it. I unfortunately, did not buy it. But I still was able to get some interesting info on RTS from the maintenance director.

Of course along with the Novas, 283, & 0116 being auctioned off; 0102, 0105, 0117, & 0120 will also be auctioned off soon.

I was also told that RTS will be getting at least 1 new Diesel bus this year as well as 3 All Electric Gillig buses likely by the end of the year with hopes of putting them in service by the spring 2019 school semester. He told me that Gillig was building 5 total all electric buses with 3 of them coming to Gainesville, 1 going to Altoona testing, and another going to Atlanta.

Heres a local newspaper article that goes into more detail about the electric buses. I'm glad this article came out very soon after me talking with the RTS maintenance director. I was going to share earlier, but didn't want to provide false sounding information.

https://www.gainesville.com/news/20180830/city-to-get-electric-rts-buses

I was also told that RTS is trying to secure funding to purchase up to 40 new Diesel buses. They are trying to do this to lower the fleet age which is considerably high compared to most other like agencies. The first buses to go will be all the buses with Detroit Series 50 engines and the Ex-Palm Tran buses. 

He also mentioned (Though I wouldn't consider this definite) that when Lynx gets their 15 New Flyer articulated buses at the end of this year, RTS may try and purchase 15 Gillig BRTs second Hand to assist in lowering the fleet age.

Not sure when, but the New Flyers may arrive early the next year, just like the 2016 Gilligs did. As for which buses will retire, it really depends on which bus is performing poorly when it comes to MDBF (yeah Lynx has those as I've found that out several years ago). Has Gainesville given any consideration to articulated buses? I'll won't be surprised if the two NABiI artics end up surplus in the near future, since they are hardly seen nowadays.

102, 117, & 120 are up for sale now! According to the description, #120 was involved in an accident and had parts such as front bumper and A/C condenser fan removed.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1369&acctid=4740

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1370&acctid=4740

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1368&acctid=4740

On 9/6/2018 at 9:31 AM, SKWROM said:

Due to the buyers not retrieving their items after the 15 day period, #502 is now back on sale! 

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1347&acctid=4740

@alexb320 Prehaps you can get an RTS now!

0120 still runs and drives fine. I looked at it when I was on property with the Maintenance Director. The driver rear ended a car and damaged the bumper and bumper bracket. They were told that the bus was going to be retired so they never put a new bumper on it. Kinda sad since it'll likely get scrapped.

503 & 508 were purchased by someone in Middleburg, FL and are for sale on Craigslist. https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/nova-bus/6693604303.html

507, 511, 512, 514, 515, & 0116 were purchased by a scrapped in Miami.

502 is the last Nova remaining on property.

17 hours ago, alexb320 said:

0120 still runs and drives fine. I looked at it when I was on property with the Maintenance Director. The driver rear ended a car and damaged the bumper and bumper bracket. They were told that the bus was going to be retired so they never put a new bumper on it. Kinda sad since it'll likely get scrapped.

503 & 508 were purchased by someone in Middleburg, FL and are for sale on Craigslist. https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/nova-bus/6693604303.html

Nice to know 503 & 508 are around. I hope there around for a few years as I’ll buy one if I can. 

In your other statement, does it mean purchased by a scrapper or purchased and scrapped?

On 9/10/2018 at 5:27 PM, alexb320 said:

Which place in Miami 

On 9/4/2018 at 12:41 AM, Big CJ said:

Not sure when, but the New Flyers may arrive early the next year, just like the 2016 Gilligs did. As for which buses will retire, it really depends on which bus is performing poorly when it comes to MDBF (yeah Lynx has those as I've found that out several years ago). Has Gainesville given any consideration to articulated buses? I'll won't be surprised if the two NABiI artics end up surplus in the near future, since they are hardly seen nowadays.

That's surprising. I didn't think Lynx did that. I'm surprised the 2012's haven't been pitched then. Haha It was interesting talking to the maintenance director at RTS. He mentioned RTS has a very extreme maintenance program that has parts getting replaced by miles rather than waiting for them to fail. It's probably the reason they are able to keep 20 year old buses on the road so long.

Gainesville has in the past. I'm sure you already know this, but quite a few years back they purchased two 1995 American Ikarus artics from Miami. But I believe they were both totaled while being delivered. RTS has looked at some artic demos from New Flyer and Nova in the past few years, but I see two big issues with why RTS doesn't/shouldn't have artics. The first and biggest reason is due to the infrastructure in Gainesville. The majority of RTS' heaviest used routes are centered around the University of Florida campus. A lot of those routes just don't have the space for an artic to make turns or maneuver safely. The second reason I think because of just how expensive artics are and the lack of funding to purchase buses.

On 9/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, SKWROM said:

Nice to know 503 & 508 are around. I hope there around for a few years as I’ll buy one if I can. 

In your other statement, does it mean purchased by a scrapper or purchased and scrapped?

Yeah, that was a typo. I was told they were purchased by a scrapper in Miami. Not sure who or where.

28 minutes ago, alexb320 said:

That's surprising. I didn't think Lynx did that. I'm surprised the 2012's haven't been pitched then. Haha It was interesting talking to the maintenance director at RTS. He mentioned RTS has a very extreme maintenance program that has parts getting replaced by miles rather than waiting for them to fail. It's probably the reason they are able to keep 20 year old buses on the road so long.

Gainesville has in the past. I'm sure you already know this, but quite a few years back they purchased two 1995 American Ikarus artics from Miami. But I believe they were both totaled while being delivered. RTS has looked at some artic demos from New Flyer and Nova in the past few years, but I see two big issues with why RTS doesn't/shouldn't have artics. The first and biggest reason is due to the infrastructure in Gainesville. The majority of RTS' heaviest used routes are centered around the University of Florida campus. A lot of those routes just don't have the space for an artic to make turns or maneuver safely. The second reason I think because of just how expensive artics are and the lack of funding to purchase buses.

Yeah, that was a typo. I was told they were purchased by a scrapper in Miami. Not sure who or where.

Yep and that doesn’t even factor that parts of the city have roundabouts making difficult for an articulated unit to go around. RTS needs to buy more BRT buses  and keep them on their busiest routes. 

What a shame...If possible I’d like them to sold to be resold to a shuttle company.

Did not know they purchased two MDT American Ikarus artics only for them to get in an accident. Then again that's Miami for you lol. Any idea on the exact units? It's too bad they didn't get them intact, cause they would of been of use to Gainesville. Buying used artics would probably make sense, but I'm not sure how Gainesville would do with handling old Series 50 engines which are on their way out as we know. They could get Neoplan artics from Bee-Line or NJT, but once again a few problems. One you have to consider parts for Neoplans will be tough to find (company has been gone for 12 years), two well Caterpillar or Series 60 engines aren't really tough to maintain but are new to Gainesville though, and the operation issues with artics as both of you have outlined is present. As for Lynx, they're strange in their own ways when it comes to bus retirements. Before they use to sell off the best performing buses and kept the poor performers (with exceptions like 381-394 which were all lemons to Lynx and they got retired after just 8 years two of which didn't make it to 8 years).  You also have to consider that Lynx might end up retiring just 29ft and 35ft buses rather then 40ft buses, since they have stated they planned on keeping 40ft buses a little longer. Some of the 35ft buses look tired inside (cracked rear floors, worn out seats, body damage from vehicles on the outside) and others look good. Have not ridden a 29ft bus yet, but they're hardly used on most routes these days except for Link 6. Most of the time, the 29ft buses are in training service or driver shuttles from LCS to LOC. I caught two 29ft buses on the 436S not too long ago, much to my shock and everyone else.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:40 PM, alexb320 said:

Were these the buses in question that were wrecked? I wonder if this is the only time Gainesville ever bought buses from Miami?

17703481511_e8758912ec_z.jpg

17080714444_f5dce213bb_z.jpg

• Sad 1

On 9/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, SKWROM said:

Yep and that doesn’t even factor that parts of the city have roundabouts making difficult for an articulated unit to go around. RTS needs to buy more BRT buses  and keep them on their busiest routes. 

What a shame...If possible I’d like them to sold to be resold to a shuttle company.

Yep, artics just don't make too much sense in my opinion unless they are able to get enough ridership on the express routes to justify it and I couldn't agree with you more.

20 hours ago, Big CJ said:

Were these the buses in question that were wrecked? I wonder if this is the only time Gainesville ever bought buses from Miami?

17703481511_e8758912ec_z.jpg

17080714444_f5dce213bb_z.jpg

Yep, those are the two. I looked  back to make sure I got the info right, but yes those two were bought by RTS in 2005 and were wrecked at some point once they got to Gainesville. RTS didn't have the money to repair them. Info came from South Florida Transit Fan a few years ago.

When I talked to the RTS employee, he mentioned they only want to deal with Cummins ISL engines. Can't really blame them considering those are the only engines offered these days. He also mentioned they have a lot of issues with Carrier units and prefer Thermo King. I believe the Palm Tran buses and 283(?) are the last to have Carrier units.

Some more auction Info:

0102 sold for $2,925, 0117 sold for $3,489, 0120 sold for $2,362, & 502 resold for $1,896. 0105 is the only remaining bus that has yet to be put up for auction.

2001 Gillig LowFloor 35ft 2001 Gillig LowFloor 35ft 2001 Gillig LowFloor 35ft

8 hours ago, alexb320 said:

Yep, artics just don't make too much sense in my opinion unless they are able to get enough ridership on the express routes to justify it and I couldn't agree with you more.

Yep, those are the two. I looked  back to make sure I got the info right, but yes those two were bought by RTS in 2005 and were wrecked at some point once they got to Gainesville. RTS didn't have the money to repair them. Info came from South Florida Transit Fan a few years ago.

When I talked to the RTS employee, he mentioned they only want to deal with Cummins ISL engines. Can't really blame them considering those are the only engines offered these days. He also mentioned they have a lot of issues with Carrier units and prefer Thermo King. I believe the Palm Tran buses and 283(?) are the last to have Carrier units.

Some more auction Info:

0102 sold for $2,925, 0117 sold for $3,489, 0120 sold for $2,362, & 502 resold for $1,896. 0105 is the only remaining bus that has yet to be put up for auction.

Must of sucked to lose those two artics. Had they arrived, they would of lasted a little longer compared to their brief service life with Miami. Yeah ISL/L9 are the only engines availble unless you consider Volvo D13 or DD13s (Mercedez Benz engine with Detroit Diesel badge),  but those are for motorcoach applications and I'm sure Gainesville has no routes that are good for motorcoaches as far as I know. As far as I know, all of Lynx's Phantoms from 1994-2005 used Thermo King. Lynx learned it's lesson after issues with Sutrak AC on the Orion IIs and Vs and they've never gotten anything else since then.

• 3 weeks later...

A new 2018 Gillig LowFloor 40ft Diesel bus (#1811) was delivered at the end of September. It has all the same specs as #1801-1810 with the exclusion of two additional tail-lights. I'm working on getting the VIN number for this bus. 

New Gillig Low Floor in the Gainesville RTS fleet

*Photo credited to El Guajiro on Flickr

On 9/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

Is this the image from Flickr 

Yes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Someone in the Transit Photos & Videos group in Facebook posted a photo of this RTS in Venezuela, running for "TransDracula". Looks ALOT like an Gaintesville RTS......

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

That’s an Ex-Gainesville RTS for sure. I asked the poster about the fleet number as it’s hard to see it due to the way it was taken. I’m glad that they have a new life somewhere else.

Edit: After looking at a few of the shots I took earlier this year, this unit is #513. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1