Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Swadian

World's Longest Transit Bus Route

Recommended Posts

What is the world's longest transit bus route by distance? As long as it is consistently operated by a transit bus, not a motorcoach, and has regular service on a regular route and schedule (i.e. not once-weekly), then it counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one in Crimea, it is a trolleybus route that is 86km long. Someone made a documentary about it ( 52thetrolleybus ). One of the coaches was blown up by an artillery shell in January 2015. It was most likely Russian backed militias, but I wouldn't put it past the Koch brothers doing something like that either.:ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, we have the world's longest trolleybus route in Crimea - 86km.

Since a diesel bus does not require wires, there is surely a bus route longer than 86km? I know BC Transit has some really long ones. Maybe China, Russia, Japan, India?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go Transit route 31, It's just under 100km from Union Station to Guelph, according to Google Maps.

 

(edit, not sure this qualifies because it uses a motorcoach. It's operated by a transit agency and provides a local service between Brampton and Guelph though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Scotland Stagecoach North East service 10 (Aberdeen - Inverness) is about 180km, it runs on a basic hourly frequency every day, and even has a night service at weekends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is sometimes hard to draw a line between community transit and coach lines, and the type of vehicle is not a determinant variable IMHO.

Anyway, in Québec, here are the two longest daily public transit lines I can think of :

  • CRT Lanaudière
    • 32 (Saint-Michel-des-Saints⇋Joliette) : 96 km. This route was truncated from half its length in the 2000's, when the southern temrinus was moved from Montréal bus depot to Radisson metro station, then Joliette.
    • Honourable mention to 125 (Saint-Donat―Rawdon⇋Terrebonne-Montréal) which used to be a daily run of 140 km, but daily service was truncated to Chertsey in January (93 km). It's operated with a coach, but Keolis also operates coaches for its shorter commuter routes to metro stations.
  • REGÎM (Gaspésie―Îles-de-la-Madeleine)
    • 22 (Cégep-Bus Chandler⇋Gaspé) : 106 km

Austria, with its public transit agency territories that fit closely with its Bundesländer boundaries, has large transit areas and many, many lines that span over 100 km. On top of my head :

  • VOR (Wien, Niederösterreich, Burgenland)
    • 7940 Wien Hauptbahnhof - Weppersdorf - Deutschkreutz / Nikitsch (~ 125 km)
    • 1416 Zwettl - Krems an der Donau - Sankt Pölten - Mariazell (~ 160 km)
  • VVT (Tirol)
    • 960x RegioExpress (Lienz - Innsbruck; ~ 180 km), operated with a coach vehicle in a commuter configuration (double-decker with two doors)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the purpose of determining type of vehicle, we will use the official US legal definition of over-the-road-bus (aka OTRB, Reisebus, or motorcoach), as "a bus characterized by an elevated passenger deck located over a baggage compartment". Any route operated, even occasionally, by a vehicle fitting such a definition, even if the "baggage compartment" is fitted with CNG or hybrid equipment, is disqualified.

Anything else counts, including cutaway shuttle routes, so long as it operates at least every weekday. The route does not have to be operated by a public agency. We have to count private operators because many countries have private transit operators. Because we have to count private operators, we cannot OTRBs, as that would qualify multi-day intercity routes.

Scotland Stagecoach North East Route 10 is not operated by a public agency, but because its vehicles fit the definition of OTRB, it cannot be counted.

I was going to nominate one of the Eastern Sierra Transit routes out here, but because their longest two routes do not operate at least every weekday, they have been disqualified.

I am not sure whether tourist routes that operate only on weekends should qualify; what do you guys think about this in particular? I guess they should?

What type of vehicle is the PostBus 960x Lienz - Innsbruck operated with? I only found a picture of a Setra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swadian said:

For the purpose of determining type of vehicle, we will use the official US legal definition of over-the-road-bus (aka OTRB, Reisebus, or motorcoach), as "a bus characterized by an elevated passenger deck located over a baggage compartment". Any route operated, even occasionally, by a vehicle fitting such a definition, even if the "baggage compartment" is fitted with CNG or hybrid equipment, is disqualified.

Anything else counts, including cutaway shuttle routes, so long as it operates at least every weekday. The route does not have to be operated by a public agency. We have to count private operators because many countries have private transit operators. Because we have to count private operators, we cannot OTRBs, as that would qualify multi-day intercity routes.

Scotland Stagecoach North East Route 10 is not operated by a public agency, but because its vehicles fit the definition of OTRB, it cannot be counted.

I was going to nominate one of the Eastern Sierra Transit routes out here, but because their longest two routes do not operate at least every weekday, they have been disqualified.

I am not sure whether tourist routes that operate only on weekends should qualify; what do you guys think about this in particular? I guess they should?

What type of vehicle is the PostBus 960x Lienz - Innsbruck operated with? I only found a picture of a Setra.

Most bus services in the UK are operated by private operators, services were deregulated by Parliament on 26th October 1986, even  the few companies that are owned by local authorities eg. Reading, Nottingham, Edinburgh are arms length and are subject to the same licencing laws regarding services as private companies. There is no such thing in the UK as public transit agency in the North American definition of the term.

Many local authority services all over Europe are operated by large private companies under contract too.

So you cannot really make a comparison if you are comparing with North American operations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

Most bus services in the UK are operated by private operators, services were deregulated by Parliament on 26th October 1986, even  the few companies that are owned by local authorities eg. Reading, Nottingham, Edinburgh are arms length and are subject to the same licencing laws regarding services as private companies. There is no such thing in the UK as public transit agency in the North American definition of the term.

Many local authority services all over Europe are operated by large private companies under contract too.

So you cannot really make a comparison if you are comparing with North American operations.

What you are saying precisely proves my point that private transit should qualify just as well as public transit. That is why we must draw the line at type of vehicle instead, and thus disqualify OTRBs.

I used to live in Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the longest one in Beijing is #898, with ~128 km and only 2 stops.

Route #880 is ~120 km (being truncated from ~160 km a few years ago, I believe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2017 at 6:54 PM, Swadian said:

Sorry, motorcoach does not qualify.

Do you consider a single-door, low-floor double-decker bus a motorcoach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 8:30 PM, Transit geek said:

Do you consider a single-door, low-floor double-decker bus a motorcoach?

If it's GO Transit, yes :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×