Ontario Bus Deregulation

INowKnowwhY

I'm hearing that MTO will be making a decision in march regarding bus deregulation in Ontario.

What position would Greyhound be in if it were approved? Would they lose their Toronto to Ottawa or Toronto to Windsor/Detroit corridor? 

I think they would take a major hit if this happens.

Any thoughts?

13 minutes ago, INowKnowwhY said:

I'm hearing that MTO will be making a decision in march regarding bus deregulation in Ontario.

What position would Greyhound be in if it were approved? Would they lose their Toronto to Ottawa or Toronto to Windsor/Detroit corridor? 

I think they would take a major hit if this happens.

Any thoughts?

If they did deregulation, Greyhound would not per say lose their corridors but would let them drop runs where they see fit. But also would let other carriers into the market say Coach Canada or Pacific Western add or add more line haul runs and routes.

12 hours ago, Shaun said:

And what about those routes that are not profitable? No service to those communities?

Subsidize those if the service is needed. Deregulate everything else. Also, unprofitable routes must be operated with smaller vehicles in an attempt to boost such routes to profitability. Right now a lot of ASKs are wasted. It's all about putting ASKs where they are profitable. Don't overuse 45-footers.

I can pretty much guarantee B.C. will not de regulate if they do, 40% of  the service as we know it today would be wiped out with No Alternatives! It happened in Alberta and their are still dozens of communities with No Service at All, It didn't work the way it was supposed to, Just recently Camrose,Ab  a city of 17,000 just got back passenger service. After over 5 years. With No other alternatives.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Swadian said:

One of the Trans-Canada Highway frequencies TOR-CGY was cut.

That is the one the above two members were talking about; the route from Calgary to Toronto uses the Trans-Canada Highway west of Sudbury, and Ontario Highway 69 south from Sudbury to Toronto.

I don't even know if Greyhound added a second trip on that route for December this year, the Extranet schedules don't show one.

19 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Greyhound only doing the second trip in the summer only?

I don't know - it seems they didn't put the second trip in for the Christmas season this year. Unless someone has more detailed knowledge than I do, we may have to wait until summer to see if the second trip returns then, and next December to see if it was only a one-time thing.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 5:09 PM, Swadian said:

Never say never...

You got a better chance of a Tornado hitting the west coast than u do of de regulation in BC as the Gov't isnt stupid...they know 80% of BC will loose ALL BUS SERVICE!! Alberta de regulated and that was the biggest flop ever, very few runs were picked up by so called other carriers and rural Alberta is suffering with NO service at all...Just in the last few weeks Camrose,Ab pop 18,000 just got back intercity bus service Mon to Fri once a week with a sprinter van .

On 2/1/2017 at 8:22 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

Greyhound only doing the second trip in the summer only?

Greyhound only added a 2nd Trip Vancouver to Calgary daily at Christmas and Summer basically following the 6pm Vancouver departure and 645pm Calgary departures. These were Express trips with few stops, and they still overloaded regular schedules on some trips.  Only 1 trip per day from Calgary to Sudbury/Toronto and Ottawa along the TCH.  Its funny cause the year before they were running 2 full schedules all summer along that corridor, one ran only 4 days a week. I am quite surprsied they dont at least run a 2nd Calgary to Regina Schedule as Medicine Hat suffered last summer and Christmas with almost 0 tickets being available most times.

11 hours ago, roeco said:

You got a better chance of a Tornado hitting the west coast than u do of de regulation in BC as the Gov't isnt stupid...they know 80% of BC will loose ALL BUS SERVICE!! Alberta de regulated and that was the biggest flop ever, very few runs were picked up by so called other carriers and rural Alberta is suffering with NO service at all...Just in the last few weeks Camrose,Ab pop 18,000 just got back intercity bus service Mon to Fri once a week with a sprinter van .

Greyhound only added a 2nd Trip Vancouver to Calgary daily at Christmas and Summer basically following the 6pm Vancouver departure and 645pm Calgary departures. These were Express trips with few stops, and they still overloaded regular schedules on some trips.  Only 1 trip per day from Calgary to Sudbury/Toronto and Ottawa along the TCH.  Its funny cause the year before they were running 2 full schedules all summer along that corridor, one ran only 4 days a week. I am quite surprsied they dont at least run a 2nd Calgary to Regina Schedule as Medicine Hat suffered last summer and Christmas with almost 0 tickets being available most times.

Killing their ridership, No reason why TCH from Ottawa/Toronto to Vancouver can not handle twice a day service.

15 hours ago, roeco said:

Population 18,000 is too little for a MCI 102DL3 and Greyhound doesn't have Sprinter vans. Camrose isn't in a good position to be served by a through route. Here in the US there a single D4505 per day on the Denver-Reno.

Greyhound has a higher chance of self-imploding than BC deregulating.

A company called Cold Shot Courier has just recently taken over the GCX contract for Edmonton-Camrose service and they bought a sprinter passenger van with a trailer as Greyhound pays them to do the freight the passengers are just gravy they carry 1-2 whatever. They do the same on Edmonton-Cold Lake. They also do the Edmonton City P&D

6 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Killing their ridership, No reason why TCH from Ottawa/Toronto to Vancouver can not handle twice a day service.

It can maybe not 2 schedules a day year round all the way, but it can def 3-4 days a week in off season. They could easily run only as far as Sudbury and connect with Ontario Northland for servce the rest of the way on 1 schedule to Toronto.

21 hours ago, roeco said:

A company called Cold Shot Courier has just recently taken over the GCX contract for Edmonton-Camrose service and they bought a sprinter passenger van with a trailer as Greyhound pays them to do the freight the passengers are just gravy they carry 1-2 whatever. They do the same on Edmonton-Cold Lake. They also do the Edmonton City P&D

...which is basically why Greyhound cut it. Greyhound doesn't have Sprinters.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:36 PM, Swadian said:

...which is basically why Greyhound cut it. Greyhound doesn't have Sprinters.

No actually that's not the reason why they cut Cold Lake, its one of two runs that no one is sure why they cut it...as it consistently had 15-20 passengers on a daily basis which is more than several other runs ever had and are still operating. And the Trailer was 90-100% full  all the time. Since they cut that run they lost over 60% of their freight business..!

8 hours ago, roeco said:

No actually that's not the reason why they cut Cold Lake, its one of two runs that no one is sure why they cut it...as it consistently had 15-20 passengers on a daily basis which is more than several other runs ever had and are still operating. And the Trailer was 90-100% full  all the time. Since they cut that run they lost over 60% of their freight business..!

Sorry, but 15-20 passengers is less than 40% the 51-seat passenger capacity of a 102DL3.

52 minutes ago, roeco said:

with Ontario considering de regulation I don't think u will c anyone competing against Greyhound where they don't currently have competition cause I believe u would already see it if they thought their was the demand.

English, please!

Nobody know what's going to happen until it actually happens and nothing has happened yet. "Talk" means naught.

4 hours ago, Swadian said:

English, please!

Nobody know what's going to happen until it actually happens and nothing has happened yet. "Talk" means naught.

Only thing that will happen is that Coach Canada will want to run Megabus service to Ottawa, London and Windsor from Toronto. Would fill the gaps in linking Canada and USA current Megabus service.