Jump to content

Broadway SkyTrain Extension


cprted
 Share

Recommended Posts

What was the point in getting rid of majority of the trolley wires along the Broadway extension route if the cut and cover portions are only going to happen at the stations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 8010 said:

What was the point in getting rid of majority of the trolley wires along the Broadway extension route if the cut and cover portions are only going to happen at the stations?

The majority of the wires on Broadway are still up, they were only removed at the station sites.  The wires are still up between the station sites.  West of the Mount Pleasant Station site, the overhead is tied off between Quebec and Ontario then is intact westward until between Alberta and Yukon at the start of the station site for Cambie.  Past Cambie the overhead is up from Ash to a couple blocks before Oak.  Then the overhead from Oak to Hemlock is all intact; it is possible for a trolley to come south on Hemlock, east on Broadway and south on Oak without needing to EPU.  At Granville, the EB wire still turns north onto Granville, and the WB starts at Fir, and runs until Cypress.  And the wire runs east from MacDonald to just before Arbutus.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

Work is well underway on the demolition of buildings on the SW corner of Main and Broadway at the future Mount Pleasant Station:

IMG_4796.thumb.JPG.262a1ff493841a955e36e509639d3a2f.JPG

That's a surprisingly modern building to be getting fully demolished instead of retrofitted. Also, I thought Vancouver introduced laws about deconstruction vs demolition, or was I misinformed? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 7:53 PM, Michael Marriott said:

The majority of the wires on Broadway are still up, they were only removed at the station sites.  The wires are still up between the station sites.  West of the Mount Pleasant Station site, the overhead is tied off between Quebec and Ontario then is intact westward until between Alberta and Yukon at the start of the station site for Cambie.  Past Cambie the overhead is up from Ash to a couple blocks before Oak.  Then the overhead from Oak to Hemlock is all intact; it is possible for a trolley to come south on Hemlock, east on Broadway and south on Oak without needing to EPU.  At Granville, the EB wire still turns north onto Granville, and the WB starts at Fir, and runs until Cypress.  And the wire runs east from MacDonald to just before Arbutus.

Now if only Vancouver had the latest battery-trolleybuses with in motion charging, they could have retained trolleybus operation on the 9, charging as they run under the wires on the outer sections of the route and running on batteries on the central section between main and Arbutus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, martin607 said:

Now if only Vancouver had the latest battery-trolleybuses with in motion charging, they could have retained trolleybus operation on the 9, charging as they run under the wires on the outer sections of the route and running on batteries on the central section between main and Arbutus.

Don't the current ones already have at least a limited form of in-motion charging? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

Don't the current ones already have at least a limited form of in-motion charging? 

There is limited battery range for a block or two AFAIK. They could pass the station works on batteries but you would need to employ pole pullers at each station site, which would be expensive.

But In Motion Charging is where a trolleybus has modern lithium ion batteries that give up to 20km off-wire range and charge up repeatedly during the day on sections of the route that are wired. In that situation you could run on battery right through from Kingsway to Arbutus, which is roughly 4km, I think

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, martin607 said:

There is limited battery range for a block or two AFAIK. They could pass the station works on batteries but you would need to employ pole pullers at each station site, which would be expensive.

But In Motion Charging is where a trolleybus has modern lithium ion batteries that give up to 20km off-wire range and charge up repeatedly during the day on sections of the route that are wired. In that situation you could run on battery right through from Kingsway to Arbutus, which is roughly 4km, I think

https://seattletransitblog.com/2010/12/10/metro-evaluates-a-modern-trolleybus/

According to this article, the EPU can run for around 1.6km on flat terrain. Not enough to get through all of Broadway, but it's more than a block or two.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 8:51 PM, buizelbus said:

https://seattletransitblog.com/2010/12/10/metro-evaluates-a-modern-trolleybus/

According to this article, the EPU can run for around 1.6km on flat terrain. Not enough to get through all of Broadway, but it's more than a block or two.

The problem is that the EPU doesn't power the air compressor, unlike on newer trolleys. CMBC's trolleys also only have a pan-down switch usually used after a dewirement. Newer trolleys have pan-up switches to be used at pre-determined locations with pan-up guides to automatically attach the poles to the wires. CMBC's trolleys can't do that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

The problem is that the EPU doesn't power the air compressor, unlike on newer trolleys. CMBC's trolleys also only have a pan-down switch usually used after a dewirement. Newer trolleys have pan-up switches to be used at pre-determined locations with pan-up guides to automatically attach the poles to the wires. CMBC's trolleys can't do that.

I've mentioned that before, you'll run out of air before you run out of power.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 9924 said:

I've mentioned that before, you'll run out of air before you run out of power.

That's alright, who needs to stop? Your goal is to go as far as possible, so brakes are wasteful! 

(this was a joke) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 3:51 AM, buizelbus said:

https://seattletransitblog.com/2010/12/10/metro-evaluates-a-modern-trolleybus/

According to this article, the EPU can run for around 1.6km on flat terrain. Not enough to get through all of Broadway, but it's more than a block or two.

Thanks. This is emergency battery power, not the concept of In Motion Charging where the trolleybus has batteries giving a range of 20km which can repeatedly be recharged under the wires. It would be good if Translink got at least one E40LFR retrofitted with modern lithium ion traction batteries and tested the system on the 9 while there are the gaps in the wiring. It would of course depend on the bus structure being able to bear the extra weight which could be around 350kg  - the internet quotes a wide range of weights per kWh.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi, I don't think that it is the Broadway extension, but was there an instance where BC Hydro shifted (slightly) some of its transmission towers to accommodate skytrain construction?  

Thought that I read an article about this, but cannot place it.  Thanks in advance, if anybody can be of assistance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

As construction picks up, there are several stop relocations starting May 24 with some lasting through June 13 and beyond

99 West:
Main St is moved to Quebec (actually this one ends on Monday)
Starting Monday, Main St stop is moved to Kingsway (long term)

99 East:
City Hall Stn is moved to nearside (incoming gongshow! ... though this one lasts until June 13)
Arbutus is moved to nearside (ends May 25)
Fraser is moved from nearside to farside

9 West:
Main St is moved to Quebec St (long term)
Yukon St is cancelled (long term)

9 East:
City Hall Stn is moved to nearside (not sure if it shares with the 99 though)
Fraser is moved from nearside to farside

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The EB stops for the 9 and 99 at Main are closed, all EB buses are now boarding FS Kingsway in front of Kingsgate Mall.  Since this is a timing point for both the 8 and the 9, there was some bus congestion there this afternoon, with several 9's taking the recovery time east of the actual stop.  With all the lane closures and stops moving in that area, I feel the 8 should have the timing points there moved to Fraser/Broadway.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, Express691 said:

...with the caveat that TransLink and the BC Gov have to come up with their portions in an appropriate timely manner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

UBC Extension engagement summary report. Nothing too surprising. I like that one of the key themes of support was "prioritizing the public good over NIMBYism (“not in my backyard”) and wealthy residents when it comes to approving the project and determining the route"

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/plans-and-projects/rapid-transit/skytrain-to-ubc/translink-ubcx-summary-report-oct-2021.pdf

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...