Broadway SkyTrain Extension

cprted

42 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

News 1130 reported this afternoon that there will be no connection to the existing millennium line from the Broadway Corridor line. Instead a short walk will be required to connect to the 2 lines. If this is the case this is just plain & stupid!  

That is 100% incorrect. The project is an extension of the current millennium line, trains will run through.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

News 1130 reported this afternoon that there will be no connection to the existing millennium line from the Broadway Corridor line. Instead a short walk will be required to connect to the 2 lines. If this is the case this is just plain & stupid!  

Let's employ some critical thinking... knowing that 95% of this line will be underground, how do you suppose they'd operate it if it isn't attached to any OMC (Operations & Maintenance Centre)? 

... rest assured, they will be connected (they don't really have a choice).

• Like 3

On 9/18/2019 at 2:37 PM, dover5949 said:

Comments above pointing out how wrong it is, but was this online or on radio? I don't see any article about it.

27 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Daily hive has an article that describes the situation 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/broadway-city-hall-station-future-interchange

My problem is the single entrance...

If they're being smart about it they'll design the new City Hall extension on that block to accommodate a future connection, like the Crossroads building supposedly does. That way there's a cheaper fix to the inevitable problem of a station with Commercial-Broadway levels of usage having only one entrance (When Commercial-Broadway itself has four. Even Metrotown has three.)

• Like 1

I'm OK with the single entrance, as the connections from Canada Line <-> 99 B-Line will be moved to within the station. I'm sure that they have data from Compass Cards to show that the current fare gate design is at least somewhat sufficient.

I'm just hoping that, with the changes at Broadway City Hall, they add a second set of escalators for each Canada Line platform from street level, while simultaneously extending the platforms to 50m and widening them.

3 hours ago, Meraki said:

Comments above pointing out how wrong it is, but was this online or on radio? I don't see any article about it.

It was on the news broadcast on the radio the morning top story. What was quoted on the radio to the effect "the 2 lines would not be connected & you would have to walk a short distance to catch the Broadway Subway". I figured this sounded weird as why would you build another line & not have it connected? Furthermore how would these trains be serviced with a connection the M. Line? I think News 1130 screwed up with the facts! It wouldn't be the first time they screwed up on a news story as they have done it before in the past.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

It was on the news broadcast on the radio the morning top story. What was quoted on the radio to the effect "the 2 lines would not be connected & you would have to walk a short distance to catch the Broadway Subway". I figured this sounded weird as why would you build another line & not have it connected? Furthermore how would these trains be serviced with a connection the M. Line? I think News 1130 screwed up with the facts! It wouldn't be the first time they screwed up on a news story as they have done it before in the past.

It's possible they meant that the Canada Line and Millennium Line will not be connected in the same way that, say, Production and Lougheed are connected

They probably mean that you'll have to disembark your Canada Line train and walk through a corridor or whatever to get to the Millennium Line train

Either that or they actually royally messed up

• Like 1

12 hours ago, briguychau said:

I'm OK with the single entrance, as the connections from Canada Line <-> 99 B-Line will be moved to within the station. I'm sure that they have data from Compass Cards to show that the current fare gate design is at least somewhat sufficient.

I'm just hoping that, with the changes at Broadway City Hall, they add a second set of escalators for each Canada Line platform from street level, while simultaneously extending the platforms to 50m and widening them.

As people transfer to the 9, 20, and surrounding community at Commercial, they'll transfer to the 9, 15, and surrounding community at City Hall. It won't be as bad as it is now, with the 99, but they keep saying ridership is going to grow a lot. I generally think all stations work best with minimum two entrances. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the trolley diversions for the construction period.

-The section on 12th Ave between Arbutus and Granville is nearly complete. The running wires have been hung (except one or two hangars) and switches have been installed on the existing wires on both Arbutus and Granville. Feeder wires also seem to up along the alignment. The running wires probably haven't yet been connected to the feeders. 

-On the section between Oak and Cambie, traction poles have been installed and the outermost part of the span wiring is hanging loose from the poles. Nothing on Cambie yet though there seem to be some very heavy duty poles at the junction, that have to cope with traffic lights, street signs as well as wires and street lights.

-The diversion on MacDonald has the least progress presumably because it is being integrated with other work for the City of Vancouver. Again some very heavy duty poles have just been installed near the junction of 4th Ave.

1 minute ago, martin607 said:

The section on 12th Ave between Arbutus and Granville is nearly complete. The running wires have been hung (except one or two hangars) and switches have been installed on the existing wires on both Arbutus and Granville. Feeder wires also seem to up along the alignment. The running wires probably haven't yet been connected to the feeders. 

The insulator installed on NB Granville @ 12th is being moved due to the issues it has been causing with the artics, the NB stop on Granville @ 12th will also be adjusted.

52 minutes ago, 8010 said:

The insulator installed on NB Granville @ 12th is being moved due to the issues it has been causing with the artics, the NB stop on Granville @ 12th will also be adjusted.

Yes. I was touring with an ex-driver and he said the switch had been set up incorrectly with the  insulator installed in the wrong direction.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a long time posting, but the construction firms have been selected to build the subway. (Hint: It's not the liberal-meddled SNC-Lavalin)

https://globalnews.ca/news/7190683/bc-government-construction-consortium-broadview-subway/

Just to keep people on track
1) The detours actually started last week of June
2) Wire removal work has taken place at key locations.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I just got an internal email on some consultation about the route of the skytrain at UBC (I work at one of the labs there). 

[My labs] among others, have been consulted about effects on our research of having regular trains passing close by. After detailed consideration, it appears likely that any route North-South through campus will be on Wesbrook or Main Mall, and not on East Mall as was originally preferred...... It seems likely that there will be a train coming to campus, perhaps in the next 5 years – terminating somewhere on University boulevard. It will likely be longer before the line is extended through to South campus.

Also the map below was attached. Light blue is the route along Wesbrook, black along East Mall (which seems officially abandoned) and green along Main Mall. Personally I think the most likely route is along Wesbrook...

image.thumb.png.9bf9440a313d895716df683cb650a203.png

10 hours ago, brzyski said:

Also the map below was attached. Light blue is the route along Wesbrook, black along East Mall (which seems officially abandoned) and green along Main Mall. Personally I think the most likely route is along Wesbrook...

I believe that the Main Mall route is most likely due to the fact that it would serve at least one of the bus loops, where the Wesbrook option looks like it avoids the entire bus exchange completely.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, brzyski said:

I just got an internal email on some consultation about the route of the skytrain at UBC (I work at one of the labs there). 

An outside perspective tuning in: I work in a lab at UVIC where there is a microbalance sensitive enough that if someone closes the door across the hallway while you are using it, it becomes inaccurate and you have to restart your measurements. Minor seismic events throw it off. I can't imagine how much a subway going right under our building would screw up precision devices like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, InfiNorth said:

An outside perspective tuning in: I work in a lab at UVIC where there is a microbalance sensitive enough that if someone closes the door across the hallway while you are using it, it becomes inaccurate and you have to restart your measurements. Minor seismic events throw it off. I can't imagine how much a subway going right under our building would screw up precision devices like that. 

Exactly. My SEM would be disturbed when the elevator of the building moves, let alone a skytrain passing underneath the building... So for me definitely not the Main Mall route. Perhaps the "better" route is along (or slightly outside of) the eastern perimeter of the campus. But still there are some key labs (e.g. Dentistry's FIB) along Wesbrook.

Of course, a decision must be made before construction starts.

I also heard some rumours about labs at UVic, e.g. some key labs (perhaps with electron microscopies) were build at certain locations that even an earthquake would not shatter the ground. Not sure if it's true though...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brzyski said:

Exactly. My SEM would be disturbed when the elevator of the building moves, let alone a skytrain passing underneath the building... So for me definitely not the Main Mall route. Perhaps the "better" route is along (or slightly outside of) the eastern perimeter of the campus. But still there are some key labs (e.g. Dentistry's FIB) along Wesbrook.

Of course, a decision must be made before construction starts.

I also heard some rumours about labs at UVic, e.g. some key labs (perhaps with electron microscopies) were build at certain locations that even an earthquake would not shatter the ground. Not sure if it's true though...

Electron microscopy, as far as I know, is in the same building as us and it's one of those 1960s concrete prefab "we had to retrofit it because it would have turned to dust" buildings... so I don't know really how much thought was put into our buildings in terms of earthquake readiness. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The design consultation runs from now until mid-December.

https://broadwaysubwayproject.civilspace.io/en/projects/station-design-advisory-process-open-house/engagements/image-gallery/sections/4

One thing I noticed is that on all the platform floor plans, the scale in the legend is incorrect (or at least conflicts with the 82500mm measurement in the top)

20201130_031348.thumb.jpg.d0b53a9cf2ab59db61993c7a5fdd2229.jpg

12 hours ago, Express691 said:

Two questions, since I've never seen proper planning diagrams for SkyTrain stations.

1. What kind of stuff is in the "service rooms" area of the station? That's a lot of space - ventilation? Electrical equipment?
  2. At platform level, the stations current show "service rooms" occupying roughly 1/3 of the station tunnel at one end. Is this to allow for future operation of 6-car trains on the Broadway Subway, allowed for by the removal of these service rooms? A service platform appears to extend into the "tunnels" alongside these service rooms. 

Also, I did the survey. Someone needs to tell TransLink that LGBTQ+ isn't a gender identity. Good on them for trying but they kind of screwed that up. T/2S/etc... but the LGB part of that is not gender identity. At least not last time I checked.

• 1 month later...

Some bus stop changes occurred today at Main/Broadway.  The SB stop for the 3 has been moved from far side to near side of Broadway, and the near side stop at 8th Ave has closed.  The EB stop for the 9 near side Main has closed with people directed to use the Kingsway stop.

Demolition of the buildings on the SW corner of the intersection starts next week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...