Broadway SkyTrain Extension

cprted

4 hours ago, translink said:

Percentages don't matter if youve got no numbers to base it off of. We're too early in the planning stages to have any station layout ready. Ask again in 2020. 

Sorry, I don't follow. I assume the percentages are based on an origin and destination survey of B99 passenger traffic. Why do you think that is irrelevant to planning where intermediate stations should be built?

Too early? I thought construction is beginning in 2020. Surely the station positions and layouts are ready well before the tunnelling begins?

3 hours ago, martin607 said:

Sorry, I don't follow. I assume the percentages are based on an origin and destination survey of B99 passenger traffic. Why do you think that is irrelevant to planning where intermediate stations should be built?

Too early? I thought construction is beginning in 2020. Surely the station positions and layouts are ready well before the tunnelling begins?

Worker: "Where are we tunneling to?"

TransLink: *shrugs*

• Haha 2

Adding on to the recent UBC Extension approval:

https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-Projects/Rapid-Transit-Projects/SkyTrain-to-UBC.aspx

By 2030 we could see about 18-20 new stations added to the SkyTrain's current 53 station network; 5 from the Broadway Extension, 8 from the Fraser Extension (plus a future 9th Station), and about 4-5 Stations on the UBC Extension (depending if the Millennium Line will terminate in Wesbrook Village or not), plus the new Capstan Way Station on the Canada Line (if it is considered part of the SkyTrain network, it is a SkyTrain line).

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-mayors-council-ubc-skytrain-extension-february-2019-vote 

TransLink's Mayors' Council approves UBC SkyTrain extension

$3-million early planning process this year
Start of the business case process in 2020, which will cost a further $30 million to $40 million.

Love how some of the other municipalities are questioning whether the extension necessarily has to be built in subway. Why not elevated Skytrain like they have? I can imagine the creme de la creme's cream going very sour.

1 hour ago, Millennium2002 said:

There is an opportunity for it to be elevated past the developed parts of Vancouver (e.g. within the UEL). But that may also draw scorn for other reasons (cough trees cough).

The other problem is that the section past Blanca passes through Musqueam land, and given the fiduciary duties of the Crown towards aboriginal title, if an elevated line would depress that land’s development potential, they might be obligated to bury it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, martin607 said:

Love how some of the other municipalities are questioning whether the extension necessarily has to be built in subway. Why not elevated Skytrain like they have? I can imagine the creme de la creme's cream going very sour.

CUT AND COVER SUBWAY!

On a side note, would the city even allow cut and cover?

3 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

CUT AND COVER SUBWAY!

On a side note, would the city even allow cut and cover?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cambie-street-businesses-canada-line-lawsuit-1.4812624

This is what happened as a result of the Canada Line being built as a cut-and-cover metro line

They're probably going to build it using a bored tunnel for environmental reasons. As much as I would love to see Pacific Spirit Park from a passing train, I think environmental groups would protest against cutting down trees to build a metro line. Plus, there may be some laws I don't know about regarding parks

I'm going to add an anecdote and say that a tunnel works for other areas as well, particularly W10th, which is a fairly narrow street with no room for an overhead pathway

As much I would love to see the the bulk of the extension constructed in an elevated track, it's likely not going to happen

1 hour ago, bob32189 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cambie-street-businesses-canada-line-lawsuit-1.4812624

This is what happened as a result of the Canada Line being built as a cut-and-cover metro line

They're probably going to build it using a bored tunnel for environmental reasons. As much as I would love to see Pacific Spirit Park from a passing train, I think environmental groups would protest against cutting down trees to build a metro line. Plus, there may be some laws I don't know about regarding parks

I'm going to add an anecdote and say that a tunnel works for other areas as well, particularly W10th, which is a fairly narrow street with no room for an overhead pathway

As much I would love to see the the bulk of the extension constructed in an elevated track, it's likely not going to happen

I mean after Blanca.

10 hours ago, martin607 said:

Judging by your reactions, I was too cryptic. I am *not* arguing for an elevated alignment. I am reporting other municipalities' bitter reaction. In other words, other municipalities are arguing "Why not elevated Skytrain, like we had to tolerate?"

As I said, that could never happen on the West Side.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 11:33 PM, bob32189 said:

Is the meridian in the center of university blvd large enough to stage an elevated platform?

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, 8010 said:

I get that these are just provisional names, but "South Granville" is the only one that I feel anyone can object to

I understand that google maps lists the neighbourhood as "South Granville", but imo they should use a different name for that station

The other names are pretty cool, though

1 hour ago, bob32189 said:

I get that these are just provisional names, but "South Granville" is the only one that I feel anyone can object to

I understand that google maps lists the neighbourhood as "South Granville", but imo they should use a different name for that station

The other names are pretty cool, though

South Granville is a common name for that area though, just like Mount Pleasant. (At least amongst people I know).  I think these provisional names are good choices, I hope they stick with them.

• Like 1

TBH, I think the "South Granville Station" should be renamed "Fairview Station" to avoid ambiguity (for the same reason as Mount Pleasant Station) and "Fairview-VGH Station" to "Oak St-VGH" or something along those lines. People are accustomed to being dropped off at Heather by the 99; they should know that the new station stops right at Oak St and is the appropriate place to transfer to the 17.

1 minute ago, GORDOOM said:

What about “Granville Island” for the station name? It at least has the virtue of being a strong geographic identifier.

Probably too far to be called Granville Island Station.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

TBH, I think the "South Granville Station" should be renamed "Fairview Station" to avoid ambiguity (for the same reason as Mount Pleasant Station) and "Fairview-VGH Station" to "Oak St-VGH" or something along those lines. People are accustomed to being dropped off at Heather by the 99; they should know that the new station stops right at Oak St and is the appropriate place to transfer to the 17.

IMO South Granville is a good name, because it is the name of the immediate neighbourhood and also it's on Granville (and it's a more "south" station than Granville station downtown). Renaming Fairview-VGH to Oak-VGH could make sense.

4 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

And Production Way isn’t too far from SFU?

For Production Way, the University is an appendage to the main station name, and is typically dropped when referring to the station.  As well, the 145 provides a direct frequent link to SFU, while buses heading north from a Granville/Broadway Station would be going onto the bridge into Downtown, not directly serving Granville Island.  If the bus restructure for the line added a direct, frequent link from the station to Granville Island you could justify using it as a secondary name, but not as the main name. (ie, name the station Fairview-Granville Island).

4 hours ago, 8010 said:

I'm pretty sure Burquitlam Station is closer to SFU than Production Way Station.

But Production Way has the all day, every day bus link.  Being slightly closer is meaningless when there are no sidewalks and a steep climb up a mountain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, briguychau said:

IMO South Granville is a good name, because it is the name of the immediate neighbourhood and also it's on Granville (and it's a more "south" station than Granville station downtown). Renaming Fairview-VGH to Oak-VGH could make sense.

The station may not be right at Oak, it might be closer to where the B-line currently stops. We'll find out soon with the public consultation, probably

• 2 months later...

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/broadwaysubway/stations/

Station locations announced.

For Fairview-VGH, the station is actually at Laurel instead of Oak, for closer VGH connections.

For Broadway-City Hall, it looks like the existing station entrance will be used. It kind of makes sense I guess, as once the M-Line extension opens, there will be a lot fewer people exiting the station for the 99 - instead, most connections will be within the station between the two lines, so there might not be a need for more fare gates.