2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

48 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Trans link has some newer ones that may not be up on the block just yet. 2006s I believe? Some of the last ever produced. Definitely the last Canadian order.

and there’s Sarnia’s ex DRT pet.

Yeah, from 2007-2008. Just 9 of them though which would make for a pretty tiny subfleet. The wiki says they were the last produced full stop, and they seem to be in pretty good shape.

Edit: read that wrong, nope, it is indeed last for a Canadian agency. Oops.

Edited by jmward
Correction

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized that according to the wiki that TransLink ordered replacements for only 55 if the original 2001 Orions (23 Nova LFS Suburbans and 32 Double Deckers), is there an option to purchase an additional order of units or are they just going to wait for the other 21 remaining original Orions to get in worse shape before ordering more replacements/expansion units?

1 minute ago, 8010 said:

I just realized that according to the wiki that TransLink ordered replacements for only 55 if the original 2001 Orions (23 Nova LFS Suburbans and 32 Double Deckers), is there an option to purchase an additional order of units or are they just going to wait for the other 21 remaining original Orions to get in worse shape before ordering more replacements/expansion units?

(shouldn't this go in double decker procurement post)

Aren't the double deckers going on the 620 too, replacing artics?

7 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

(shouldn't this go in double decker procurement post)

Aren't the double deckers going on the 620 too, replacing artics?

I wasn't sure since one order is for standard low floor buses and another is for the double deckers. I don't think they will be putting the deckers on the 620 unless they put luggage racks on the bottom floor or something like that. I have a feeling more artics will be ordered in the coming years.

Are the 104 Nova HEVs supposed to arrive starting in April? I can't find anything on when they're supposed to start arriving. I thought they were supposed to arrive the same time as the XN40s but those have already begun arriving in Surrey.

I recently overheard a CMBC driver talking to another driver mention that the new Novas are supposed to arrive sometime in June. Take it as a grain of salt, but hopefully VTC has air-conditioned buses just in-time for summer.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

I recently overheard a CMBC driver talking to another driver mention that the new Novas are supposed to arrive sometime in June. Take it as a grain of salt, but hopefully VTC has air-conditioned buses just in-time for summer.

Just in time for everyone to crack the windows open anyway. Either that, and/or for everyone living on the west side to demand the dieselization of the #4/#7/#10/#14/#16 so they get A/C.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Just in time for everyone to crack the windows open anyway. Either that, and/or for everyone living on the west side to demand the dieselization of the #4/#7/#10/#14/#16 so they get A/C.

This is so true, hopefully they have similar windows that the 2014-current Excelsiors use where the front 2 and back 2 windows can open in case of the unlikely event of smoke/potential unpleasant scents start spewing into/through the bus. (And hopefully TransLink begins ordering XT40s and XT60s within the next few years to begin replacing the slowly aging trolley fleet)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 8010 said:

(And hopefully TransLink begins ordering XT40s and XT60s within the next few years to begin replacing the slowly aging trolley fleet)

Don't think we'd be getting XT40's and XT60's if Translink is looking into options to replace our trolley network all together ... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Don't think we'd be getting XT40's and XT60's if Translink is looking into options to replace our trolley network all together ... 

But wouldn't it be cheaper to replace trolleys with trolleys instead of Battery-Electric buses where TransLink would have to invest more money into charging stations at most, if not all trolley termini (is that even the plural for teminus?) in case the buses are running low on power or something, or am I wrong?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

A lot has been invested into the trolley network, especially when you factor in the value of having an asset which is this efficient, emissions free, flexible, and sustainable.  Nothing else even comes close to giving such bang for your buck.  It would be unwise to scrap the trolley system, especially this day and age. Supplementing the fleet with Battery Electric vehicles makes sense, but not replacing a superior (and proven) technology with them. The only bus that can replace a trolley...is another trolley.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, 8010 said:

This is so true, hopefully they have similar windows that the 2014-current Excelsiors use where the front 2 and back 2 windows can open in case of the unlikely event of smoke/potential unpleasant scents start spewing into/through the bus. (And hopefully TransLink begins ordering XT40s and XT60s within the next few years to begin replacing the slowly aging trolley fleet)

I'm sure in about 10 years, we'll start seeing XT40's & XT60's.

• Like 1

I know I and other people have mentioned it a few times around the forums, but I really do hope Translink looks into battery electric buses that can charge through the trolley system. Would be great if buses on, say, the 19, could charge up on their way to Metrotown, run some other trips out of there, and head back out on the 19 to charge again. Plus routes such as the 9 could extend to places like Brentwood without having to install more wires overhead (which of course the city of Burnaby seems to be against). I haven't heard of NFI or Nova or any other companies trying this yet, but it would probably be a smart choice for companies like Translink to expand the electric fleet without having to install new charging stations or more trolley wires.

Back on the thread topic, I don't suppose anyone has pictures of any of the new buses arriving at Surrey, or an estimate of when they'll be on the road? :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThatBusGuy said:

I know I and other people have mentioned it a few times around the forums, but I really do hope Translink looks into battery electric buses that can charge through the trolley system. Would be great if buses on, say, the 19, could charge up on their way to Metrotown, run some other trips out of there, and head back out on the 19 to charge again. Plus routes such as the 9 could extend to places like Brentwood without having to install more wires overhead (which of course the city of Burnaby seems to be against). I haven't heard of NFI or Nova or any other companies trying this yet, but it would probably be a smart choice for companies like Translink to expand the electric fleet without having to install new charging stations or more trolley wires.

Back on the thread topic, I don't suppose anyone has pictures of any of the new buses arriving at Surrey, or an estimate of when they'll be on the road? :)

If you search "translink 18102" on Google Images there's a photo of one of the new XN40s next to a truck. I'd say sometime in the next couple of weeks is when we can start seeing them hit the roads in Surrey (judging by how quickly the RTC XD40s went into service in 2016).

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

From the board meeting yesterday: the nova HEV's starts going in service in july and will be delivered from then till December and the first batches of the xn40's will start going into service in a few weeks with the delivery window for that is April to December. The nova HEV's will run out of VTC and HTC and xn40's STC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WillieTL said:

From the board meeting yesterday: the nova HEV's starts going in service in july and will be delivered from then till December and the first batches of the xn40's will start going into service in a few weeks with the delivery window for that is April to December. The nova HEV's will run out of VTC and HTC and xn40's STC.

Why would they split the HEVs between Vancouver and Hamilton instead of splitting the XN40s between Surrey and Hamilton? From what I understand was that the original plan was to have all 104 HEVs go to VTC while moving 90 or so Novas to other transit centres to be used in service expansions, as well as moving 10 Novas to West Van. Then the CNG order would be used to replace most of the D40LFs and dieselized C40LFs that are used between Surrey and Hamilton.

8 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Are the Series 50s gonna stick around for the summer before they go or what?

They'll probably stick around until all of the XN40s are delivered and hit the road. Even then some of them may stick around for another year or so if they really need expansion units.

4 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

Our trolleys are only 12-13 years old. Trolleys typically have a longer life span than diesel buses (18-20 years).

Yeah I know, that's why I said slowly aging. They aren't ready for retirement, but they are slowly getting there with about 6-8 years of life left. Even then TransLink will probably keep them longer like what they're currently doing with the 1995-1999 D40LFs.

24 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

That has since been changed to 10 XD40's from RTC. 

Oh yeah I remember reading that. I wonder if West Van is going to modify them to match their other XD40s (I believe the seating arrangements are different, as well as the hubcaps and some other things).

9 hours ago, WillieTL said:

It is possible NFI will have another bus model in production by then and discontinue production on all xcelsior models.

Obviously that's possible... but considering they rode the D40LF platform for over twenty years, it seems unlikely. Unless there are serious fundamental problems with the Xcelsior that prompts a full redesign sooner. 

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

Oh yeah I remember reading that. I wonder if West Van is going to modify them to match their other XD40s (I believe the seating arrangements are different, as well as the hubcaps and some other things).

Hubcaps...?

• Like 2