Express691

2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Not confirmed officially, but from a reliable source.  Saw on a comment thread on a Facebook group.

106 XN40
23 NovaBUS suburbans
94 NovaBUS BAE hybrids
10 NovaBUS BAE hybrids for West Vancouver with white LED signs

The 94 hybrids will be for expansion so my guess is they could end up anywhere.  Everything else is replacement.  My guess for the XN40s is they will go to STC and HTC or to PTC with STC getting all the C40LFRs.  Not sure exactly where the suburbans would go, most likely some PTC with the rest to RTC.  

Reasonfor going with the Nova's for suburbans is probably due to the fact they have more seating than the Xcelsior option.  Glad they stuck with the XN40s for natural gas.  No idea why they chose to go with Nova for the hybrids, maybe better than the Xcelsiors or flyer didn't offer the BAE system which Translink wanted for this order.  Or it just came down to who could get them to us faster.  No idea on when these are set to arrive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Translink69 said:

God no. Give Surrey all of our XN40s, don't take the C40LFRs! :(

Considering that Surrey tends to get the older buses, I wouldn't be surprised if they do get them. In my opinion it would make more sense having the C40LFR's at STC considering the C Gas + engine isn't the best going up hills and since most Surrey routes aren't that hilly it would be more ideal. It would put less strain on the engines, but who am I to ask as all we can do it wait and see what happens next year. 

With the Nova suburban buses, I would say they'll go to STC for the 301 and 503. I'm saying this because the Orion's are really out of places on those routes and having low floor suburban buses on the the 301 and 503 for me personally would be more ideal. You can fit more standing room people during peak hours and it's easier to load up wheelchairs so you don't end up behind schedule.

Also I think I might be the only one who would care enough about this minor detail, but I do wish these new Novas would come with the standard double width doors at the front. I just find the current set up to be really hideous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Considering that Surrey tends to get the older buses, I wouldn't be surprised if they do get them. In my opinion it would make more sense having the C40LFR's at STC considering the C Gas + engine isn't the best going up hills and since most Surrey routes aren't that hilly it would be more ideal. It would put less strain on the engines, but who am I to ask as all we can do it wait and see what happens next year. 

With the Nova suburban buses, I would say they'll go to STC for the 301 and 503. I'm saying this because the Orion's are really out of places on those routes and having low floor suburban buses on the the 301 and 503 for me personally would be more ideal. You can fit more standing room people during peak hours and it's easier to load up wheelchairs so you don't end up behind schedule.

Also I think I might be the only one who would care enough about this minor detail, but I do wish these new Novas would come with the standard double width doors at the front. I just find the current set up to be really hideous. 

That is exactly why I think the C40LFRs may go to STC, follows the tradition lol.  However, supervisors have been saying for a while that STC will be getting 53 XN40s by the end of next year so theres a good chance of them being at STC.  This will also give the Surrey operators and riders more AC buses which could be why they will get the XN40s instead of the traditional older buses.  Also, many buses at STC are due or will be due for retirement when these start coming in so it would be easier to just directly replace them instead of driving a new bus to PTC then a C40LFR to STC and the retired bus to wherever.

I agree about STC getting the Nova suburbans.  Much more strollers, wheelchairs and elderly using the 301 and 503 on a regular basis compared to the RTC runs.  However, as of July STC has 16 Orion's and PTC has 14.  That's why I believe they will be split.  The 555 could use the boost in capacity as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brando737 said:

I agree [with @Ninja Bus Fan] about STC getting the Nova suburbans.  Much more strollers, wheelchairs and elderly using the 301 and 503 on a regular basis compared to the RTC runs.  However, as of July STC has 16 Orion's and PTC has 14.  That's why I believe they will be split.  The 555 could use the boost in capacity as well.

But will TransLink really be retiring any of the Orion V Suburbans this early? The oldest of them is from 2000, and high-floors tend to be more durable than low-floors anyway. Are the Orion Vs already causing problems?

I'd think it more likely that the "replacement" will be of life-extended D40LFs being used to provide additional service on suburban routes beyond what the Orion V fleet would allow. In that case, we could easily see the Nova LFS Suburbans going to Surrey TC, allowing those 16 Orion Vs to go to Richmond and PoCo. I would expect the Orion V replacement orders to start in a couple years, probably after the Enviro500 trial is over.

As for the hybrids... honestly, they'd be best-suited to the very stop-and-go routes in Vancouver, even more so than a parallel hybrid would be. I'd expect to see those coaches end up at Vancouver TC, probably displacing the last straight-diesel coaches to Hamilton and a bunch of Allison hybrids to Surrey. Though if Silvertree TC opens, that will change things again.

(I'm still grumpy. I didn't want more effing Novas. For one thing, their bastardized Sweep-R is ugly - they'd look better in white than grey, IMO. For another, hasn't TransLink had enough problems with the Novas they already have?)

• Like 2

I really don't see why the Nova highway buses would go to STC over any other transit centre that operates highway routes. The 301 and 503 have lower overcrowding rates than compared to other routes like the 351, 555, etc, so the extra capacity on the Novas aren't really needed at STC. Secondly, I am a regular rider of the 301, 351, 555 and 601, and from my observations, they ALL have about the same amount of elderly, strollers and wheelchairs.

21 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Not confirmed officially, but from a reliable source.  Saw on a comment thread on a Facebook group.

Will West Vancouver be happy with the BAE Systems' hill performance? That will be the real interesting question... They've stayed away from hybrids of any kind (excluding demonstrators) ever since the technology was introduced.

4 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

(I'm still grumpy. I didn't want more effing Novas. For one thing, their bastardized Sweep-R is ugly - they'd look better in white than grey, IMO. For another, hasn't TransLink had enough problems with the Novas they already have?)

Note that we haven't ordered any NovaBuses since the revised fleet specifications were implemented, so there's a chance this order may look rather different in comparison.

My one remaining concern with NovaBus (more of a nitpick) is whether TransLink will remember to specify normal ceiling ad racks on both sides of the bus, rather than the weird asymmetrical design that no one was really able to figure out. I know Toronto's most recent LFS came with symmetrical ceiling ad racks, but I'm not sure whether that is a default option yet for all of their production lines.

46 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Will West Vancouver be happy with the BAE Systems' hill performance? That will be the real interesting question... They've stayed away from hybrids of any kind (excluding demonstrators) ever since the technology was introduced.

Montreal's STM uses their new 4th Gen LFS HEVs on Mont Royal, which is a fairly substantial hill. It seemed pretty zippy when I rode it but the area around the battery sure made a lot more noise than I thought it would. 

22 hours ago, Brando737 said:

106 XN40

23 NovaBUS suburbans

94 NovaBUS BAE hybrids

The 94 hybrids will be for expansion so my guess is they could end up anywhere.  Everything else is replacement.  My guess for the XN40s is they will go to STC and HTC or to PTC with STC getting all the C40LFRs.  Not sure exactly where the suburbans would go, most likely some PTC with the rest to RTC.  

Reasonfor going with the Nova's for suburbans is probably due to the fact they have more seating than the Xcelsior option.  Glad they stuck with the XN40s for natural gas.  No idea why they chose to go with Nova for the hybrids, maybe better than the Xcelsiors or flyer didn't offer the BAE system which Translink wanted for this order.  Or it just came down to who could get them to us faster.  No idea on when these are set to arrive.

I just looking forward to see what livery will those Novas get~~

19 minutes ago, Cathay 888 said:

Maybe this? It will likely receive BCT-style windows though

image.thumb.jpg.2d335b072861d16ad7914c2196718fd7.jpg

6 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

I hope they use the normal Sweep-R.

@TranslinkKid Are you planning to make a Nova in sweep-r?

6 hours ago, Cathay 888 said:

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Artics should have the B-Line livery,  40 footers with the original Sweep, and Suburban Coaches with the Orion paintjob (preferably white rather than grey)

How many Orions are used at peak on the 555? Cause the 23 Novas could go to STC, and then of the 16 Surrey Orions, 6 go to PTC, 10 to RTC.

This would also mean that the 555 would be only PTC. 

2 hours ago, Translink69 said:

How many Orions are used at peak on the 555? 

About 6-7 buses are used on the 555 during peak hours.

Cause the 23 Novas could go to STC, and then of the 16 Surrey Orions, 6 go to PTC, 10 to RTC

Why do you think the Nova highway buses should go to STC? I'm curious, since I don't find there is any reason for all them to go to STC. 

This would also mean that the 555 would be only PTC. 

The 555 is already PCTC only.

9 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Artics should have the B-Line livery,  40 footers with the original Sweep, and Suburban Coaches with the Orion paintjob (preferably white rather than grey)

2001 called they'd like their paint scheme back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Artics should have the B-Line livery,  40 footers with the original Sweep

1998 is calling you, they want their liveries back.

Personally I think coaches should have the yellow but everything else should be Sweep-R

EDIT:

I'm looking around on Google images, and found this art of a NovaBus LFS-A in Sweep-R by @TranslinkKid

403 THREE ROAD.png

• Haha 1

So, I've never been inside a Nova in a Suburban configuration before. Is it like the Orion VI in that it's low floor all the way to the back of the bus, or does it have the raised back section as normal?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stormscape said:

So, I've never been inside a Nova in a Suburban configuration before. Is it like the Orion VI in that it's low floor all the way to the back of the bus, or does it have the raised back section as normal?

They have that raised section at the rear as normal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stormscape said:

I believe the fully low floor option was only available on the 1st generation LFS. 2nd generation LFS and after have the raised section behind the rear doors.

4 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

The three different Novas we may be getting next year.

- LFS Suburban

- HEV 4th Gen

-LFS w/ white LED signs

601 SOUTH DELTA(2).png

41 JOYCE STN.png

255 Capilano U.png

Just going to quote this post from the dreams thread here. Art of what some novas would look like in Sweep R.

Hello,

Here is my August 25th, 2017 update for my Fleet utilization summary:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QATxfcSBCNxTo69ScBB5o1OXoG2Vt43TKmfDn0N5h_4/edit#gid=151886761

There will still be Cummins D40LF's left @ RTC unti about 2023, would put them at 20-21 years of age. Based on projections of about 10% service expansion, CMBC will need 1460 buses by 2019, and with most D40LF's retired at that point, there will still be 30 left (13 2000 D40LF, 17 2001 D40LF).

I quickly made a Suburban LFS in the Orion Grey livery. I know its kinda shitty but it was done in like 30 minutes and I didn't have access to a mouse or photoshop ;)

LFS S CS.png

• Like 3