2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

With the recent grounding of the TTC Nova BAE hybrids due to an electric steering issue, and now that this same issue has popped up in Quebec with the same bus type, do you think this will affect TransLink's Nova BAE hybrids in any way?

Article in French: https://www.newswire.ca/fr/news-releases/par-mesure-de-securite-pres-de-600-autobus-immobilises-a-travers-le-quebec-855714626.html

40 minutes ago, anyfong said:

With the recent grounding of the TTC Nova BAE hybrids due to an electric steering issue, and now that this same issue has popped up in Quebec with the same bus type, do you think this will affect TransLink's Nova BAE hybrids in any way?

Article in French: https://www.newswire.ca/fr/news-releases/par-mesure-de-securite-pres-de-600-autobus-immobilises-a-travers-le-quebec-855714626.html

Now article in english!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/novabus-technical-problem-1.5067252

• Like 3

2 hours ago, anyfong said:

Toronto is pulling theirs, again, as I type this....I’d expect CMBC to follow.

Just now, Express691 said:

And some of the buses on the 66 FVX...

Speaking of which, I think BC transit will be hit by this glitch as well... (please inquire about BC transit novas in the BCT section of the forum)

The BC Transit units are all diesel. They have a different steering system that is not affected by this issue.

• Thanks 1

Casual news/blog sites like Daily Hive, Urbanized Vancouver, blogTO, Narcity, and MTL Blog needs to be read with caution (or better off, avoid them entirely). They don't take journalism seriously and don't care about editing out incorrect facts.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, 8010 said:

"Over 500"? 47 XN40s, 47* XDE60s, 32 Enviro500s + 25 more, and 4 battery-electric buses is only 155 buses for 2019. I'm sure I've missed some but "over 500" is pretty inaccurate.

They’re just getting everyone fired up in anticipation of 500 imaginary buses so that they can have an opportunity to write another article in two years criticizing TL for failing to deliver on their promises.

• Haha 12

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

"Over 500"? 47 XN40s, 47* XDE60s, 32 Enviro500s + 25 more, and 4 battery-electric buses is only 155 buses for 2019. I'm sure I've missed some but "over 500" is pretty inaccurate.

I think shuttles and handydarts etc are included in their count, but even then still way off

1 hour ago, Evan Hancock said:

So now what? Massive service reduction???

No visible effects so far. Still lots of BAEs about, so if they're fixing stuff, it isn't impacting service. Since we're this far in, I don't expect anything dramatic.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jmward said:

No visible effects so far. Still lots of BAEs about, so if they're fixing stuff, it isn't impacting service. Since we're this far in, I don't expect anything dramatic.

I was told by a coworker who pushed for the inspections to be done immediately that the 81 BAE units they have in service have all been gone through and inspected already for a problematic fitting in the steering system. Can't remeber off the top of my head what it is called but it caused some grime to get in a connection and interfere with the steering because they have electric steering (correct if I'm wrong). And whatever else is coming on delivery, the issue has been addressed.

• Like 2

Translink does do a very thorough inspection of the buses and run them for 5000km before they are placed in service. I wonder if the reason why it took a while for the new Novas to go into service was for that reason, I do recall hearing from someone that they found issues during pre delivery inspection at Prevost.  

• Like 3