Express691

2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

Everything's a rumour now, all we know is that there are service improvements coming.

I assume all drivers are thinking the same rumours that have been discussed on this forum for the past 6-12 months. 

Do we have a rumour thread yet? :lol:

• Haha 2

September 2019 is when the majority of major expansion will be with all the new B-Line's coming online.  There might be some minor adjustments for January and April sheets, but would most likely be adding a bus here and there.

For now there will be a surplus, but it's probably best to take the time to get these buses on the road and be fully ready for September 2019.

• Like 1

A handful of the new Nova suburbans are at Prevost in Richmond. Target date for entry into service is within the next 4 weeks, so by the end of November.

25 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

A handful of the new Nova suburbans are at Prevost in Richmond. Target date for entry into service is within the next 4 weeks, so by the end of November.

And the BAE hybrids?

52 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

And the BAE hybrids?

No word on those, but the source for the info about the suburbans was an RTC supervisor, so I doubt he would have known anything firm about the BAEs.

Maybe this isnt the right place, but could someone please explain all the Nova hate to me?  I will admit, I don't really get many chances to ride them as I live and work within Surrey. But when I do, they ride just as well as any other bus ( I have ridden both hybrid and normal diesel novas).

42 minutes ago, Tidom said:

Maybe this isnt the right place, but could someone please explain all the Nova hate to me?  I will admit, I don't really get many chances to ride them as I live and work within Surrey. But when I do, they ride just as well as any other bus ( I have ridden both hybrid and normal diesel novas).

For me, its the jerkiness of the nova’s, the seating layout of the LFS, and they sound honestly very dull. I dont mind HEV as much, besides the lack of power.

3 hours ago, Tidom said:

I might have posted this list before, but:

1. "Nova neck" -- the driver's seat is too far forward of the front door, so greeting passengers is ergonomically difficult

2. The T-Drive Novas have extremely jerky transmission. Not true of the non T-Drive diesels, though.

3. The HEVs are really slow accelerating, especially on hills and with full passenger loads. 

4. Subjectively: Novas are ugly.

Those are the intrinsic sucky factors according to me. From a passenger perspective, Novas are generally pleasant to ride, and the wide front door area can be helpful for stroller/scooter users.

There are issues with the current Nova stock's rear doors opening/closing extremely slowly, and with the crappiness of the rear door sensors, but these issues are not intrinsic to Novabuses. The non T-drive Nova diesels with push bar rear doors don't seem to have this issue at all.

The greatest positive about Novas is the superior windshield wiper control location compared to New Flyers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tidom said:

As a passenger, the cramped awkward seating at the back (with the backwards seats etc) kinda sucks. I understand that's being addressed in the new units though. (Plus air conditironing!)

6 hours ago, Large Cat said:

I might have posted this list before, but:

1. "Nova neck" -- the driver's seat is too far forward of the front door, so greeting passengers is ergonomically difficult

2. The T-Drive Novas have extremely jerky transmission. Not true of the non T-Drive diesels, though.

3. The HEVs are really slow accelerating, especially on hills and with full passenger loads. 

4. Subjectively: Novas are ugly.

Those are the intrinsic sucky factors according to me. From a passenger perspective, Novas are generally pleasant to ride, and the wide front door area can be helpful for stroller/scooter users.

There are issues with the current Nova stock's rear doors opening/closing extremely slowly, and with the crappiness of the rear door sensors, but these issues are not intrinsic to Novabuses. The non T-drive Nova diesels with push bar rear doors don't seem to have this issue at all.

The greatest positive about Novas is the superior windshield wiper control location compared to New Flyers.

The Nova hate around here is overwrought (from the same forum that considers the Series 50 D40LF the "best bus ever'). 

I've never driven a Nova, and as a one time bus driver, don't have a lot of desire to do so, due to the aforementioned "Nova Neck" ergonomic issues with the drivers station. I figure many of the members of this forum chat with their driver buddies, hear about how much they don't like driving Novas, and the opinion is passed on to the fans. 

I've ridden them over the years in a number of locations (Disneyworld, Montreal, Vancouver, New York, etc) but never ridden them regularly. 

But my impressions, including from a few rides in New York City last week on both 40ft and 60ft versions, is that they are good riding, well put together, low floor buses that are at least as good as, if not better than the competing products from Gillig and New Flyer. 

Some of the Vancouver issues listed above are Vancouver issues. The Hybrids could be reprogrammed to increase their acceleration rate. Where are the mid-level managers at CMBC pushing this issue to Desmond's desk? The transmissions issue is a transmission issue, you can spec a different one that operates better. 

And they're kind of ugly, though they look a little better today than twenty years ago.

But overall, they're pretty good for the passenger. And that's what really counts.

• Like 2

On October 29, 2018 at 5:11 PM, iliketrains said:

Novas spotted at RTC, believe one of them was 18322 but not too sure but had V prefixes 

C3773101-8B96-457A-8FB7-5AE68D1D8DCE.jpeg

Aren't they headed to BTC and (Possibly, maybe not) VTC? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

Aren't they headed to BTC and (Possibly, maybe not) VTC? 

All 104 Nova BAEs are going to VTC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Does 18200 actually exist or was the number misread?

Does not exist. Its a policy. Same as 7200 was wrong too

If it does exist we all should know. Except it does not

7 hours ago, rulerduler said:

Does not exist. Its a policy. Same as 7200 was wrong too

If it does exist we all should know. Except it does not

This indicates otherwise. We won't know until someone goes out to Cullen to take a look though. 

20181102_114621.jpg

20181102_114632.jpg

1 hour ago, Community Shuttle said:

This indicates otherwise. We won't know until someone goes out to Cullen to take a look though. 

20181102_114621.jpg

20181102_114632.jpg

@MTL66 also said he saw 18400 at the Nova Factory 

Seems i am wrong! 

There will be 18200. Check tcomm and type in 18200 for yourselves. 

Someone update the wiki on it?

87E1F72C-FBB9-42A6-8E0F-3764D37D94FB.png

5 minutes ago, rulerduler said:

Seems i am wrong! 

There will be 18200. Check tcomm and type in 18200 for yourselves. 

Someone update the wiki on it?

87E1F72C-FBB9-42A6-8E0F-3764D37D94FB.png

Here is nova bus 18400 on tcomm. So it now is official. 

B756BD14-31A1-4D83-AF44-6C06F41F5037.png