2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 7:26 AM, GORDOOM said:

Any update on when this is actually going to be announced? Or are the boys in Sapperton still banging out details with Flyer and/or Nova?

all I have is starting with all 2018 bus orders, Safety barriers are either installed or ready to install upon delivery.

--------------------------------

UPDATE: 

See first post for confirmations

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brando737 said:

From what I've heard the CNG's will be from New Flyer and the hybrids from Nova which will be BAE.

@Express691 was there any mention of Suburban's?  Supposed to be about 25 Nova's.

That's what I have too, but I can't find any firm sources that confirms any makes or brands from Translink/New Flyer

Apparently the 94 hybrids for expansion will all go to VTC which would mean the current Nova's will be spread out everywhere they are needed.  Would just be easier to spread them out as they get delivered, but this would give Vancouver a decent number of AC buses.  After this delivery, all depots will have AC buses for local service.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

More NovaBuses eh... :wacko:

Anyway, more air-conditioned buses is a good start. I wonder what livery they'll end up coming into town with.

I agree it's not as streamlined as the NFI Xcelsiors, but it is an improvement over the 3rd Gen ones in Vancouver.

Soci%C3%A9t%C3%A9_de_transport_de_Montr%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did I miss the official announcement of the Nova order?

"New Flyer (NFI) and Nova Bus 40’ bus contracts have been executed with delivery to occur beginning in mid-2018 and ending in mid-2019."

EDIT: or is this for the battery-powered trial buses?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Seen some photos of S18101 being looked over at the factory, nice and shiny lol.  In one of the photos, the destination sign has the SR # and says 153 XN40, but only 106 were mentioned in the release and the board meeting minutes unless I've missed something.  Curious if some of the Nova's got switched for XN40's.

Also, since these are 181** series so 18101-18253 assuming they come in that order, Nova's and artics (if they start arriving this year) will probably be 180** and 183**.

• Like 3

I'll be curious to see what the battery electric buses will be numbered. If they were just demonstrators I would assume 1010-1013, but since they're apparently going to be a full part of the fleet I wonder if they'll go for the standard year numbering instead. If that's the case, once upon a time I would have assumed they'd be assigned different groups of hundreds, but since there's two types of 17500s I guess it's certainly possible they'd just make them continuous 

7 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Seen some photos of S18101 being looked over at the factory, nice and shiny lol.  In one of the photos, the destination sign has the SR # and says 153 XN40, but only 106 were mentioned in the release and the board meeting minutes unless I've missed something.  Curious if some of the Nova's got switched for XN40's.

Also, since these are 181** series so 18101-18253 assuming they come in that order, Nova's and artics (if they start arriving this year) will probably be 180** and 183**.

If we’re actually getting 153 XN40’s, they’d most likely replace and retire all the series 50 D40LF’s we currently got in service. After adding up all the buses that are in service, we roughly got 143 units in revenue service. If that’s the case then 10 units would be for expansion assuming. 

2 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

But I thought the expansion units are to be the Nova buses ? Or am I wrong ... 

Only inasmuch as it probably would have been a straight Flyer order, if TransLink didn't need so many buses for fleet expansion. Picking which coaches are replacements and which are for expansion is a bit of a shell game.

2 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

But I thought the expansion units are to be the Nova buses ? Or am I wrong ... 

39 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Only inasmuch as it probably would have been a straight Flyer order, if TransLink didn't need so many buses for fleet expansion. Picking which coaches are replacements and which are for expansion is a bit of a shell game.

Last I heard officially, the 104 Nova HEV's (10 were going to go to WVT, but they decided to send 10 XD40's from RTC to them instead) were set to be expansion and all to VTC which would push most of the current Nova's elsewhere for expansion with some being for VTC expansion itself.  But that was with the XN40 order being 106. 

Either the 153 is the full order with only 106 this year and the rest later or they switched some of the Nova's to the XN40's to make it cheaper as part of the cost is covered by the carbon tax and possibly a kickback from Fortis BC.  Won't know until the orders arrive or the next board meeting in March.

• Like 2