Express691

2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

9 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

Any idea what transmissions these have?

I'm not sure. Being a highway bus probably straight diesel, ZF transmission but I'm guessing. Well find out soon! 😊

4 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Likely to be ZF as that seems to be the go to transmission for Translink right now for anything not hybrid.

TransLink seems to have a fetish for ZF transmissions.

5 minutes ago, Firebrand said:

TransLink seems to have a fetish for ZF transmissions.

I want allison transmissions again

20 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

Allison for diesel and CNG, BAE for hybrid. This is how things should be.

C Gas + and Voith for everything 🤪🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Might as well have the S50G with those special efficiency mods... They wouldn't have kept on BOing if those mods were never done

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Translink69 said:

I take it that some people here aren’t a fan of Voith either, but I’d personally love to see them here... I think they sound amazing. 😍

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Citaro said:

I take it that some people here aren’t a fan of Voith either, but I’d personally love to see them here... I think they sound amazing. 😍

I want one of the Voiths removes from a retired WV D40LF and it to be out on 3344 before it comes back

The ZF transmissions are just a corner-cutting cost for Translink as ZF is the cheapest on the market if I'm not mistaken.

4 hours ago, 8010 said:

The ZF transmissions are just a corner-cutting cost for Translink as ZF is the cheapest on the market if I'm not mistaken.

Purchase price is only a small fraction of lifecycle cost, and TransLink isn’t that stupid.

IIRC the main reason is that the ZF’s shifting pattern allows the engine to run more efficiently and thus reduces fuel consumption.

13 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Purchase price is only a small fraction of lifecycle cost, and TransLink isn’t that stupid.

IIRC the main reason is that the ZF’s shifting pattern allows the engine to run more efficiently and thus reduces fuel consumption.

ZF transmissions hinder the performance of the output power of the engine, which Allison transmissions don't suffer from (for diesels, at least). That's like an Audi S4 running on CVTs when it gets better performance using a 7-speed manual gearbox. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 12:38 AM, Translink69 said:

I want one of the Voiths removes from a retired WV D40LF and it to be out on 3344 before it comes back

Uhh, look closer at 3344, it looks totaled to me. The lower right side of the bus is completely destroyed unfortunately. 😰

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 12:03 PM, Firebrand said:

ZF transmissions hinder the performance of the output power of the engine, which Allison transmissions don't suffer from (for diesels, at least). That's like an Audi S4 running on CVTs when it gets better performance using a 7-speed manual gearbox. 

I am amused at how people get so salty when their preferred choice of transmission is ultimately not selected as part of the equipment for a new bus order...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

Uhh, look closer at 3344, it looks totaled to me. The lower right side of the bus is completely destroyed unfortunately. 😰

image.png

Jesus! Was that pickup truck travelling at 120 km/h or something?

9 hours ago, Firebrand said:

Jesus! Was that pickup truck travelling at 120 km/h or something?

No. That’s what happens when a lifted truck hits a bus and the jaws of life are required. 

Simply put: Pickup + Bus + Jaws of Life = Giant hole in side of bus. 

I drove 18457 around the yard this morning, it is indeed ZF transmission, straight diesel. These are smooth to drive! They will be in service in January.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

I drove 18457 around the yard this morning, it is indeed ZF transmission, straight diesel. These are smooth to drive! They will be in service in January.

Do they sound like our other LFS buses?