Express691

2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Large Cat said:

I think the "EXPRESS" PR code in the destination signs should serve this function very well. The problem is, the company has never mandated when it should or should not be used, so drivers turn it on and off ad hoc and to their own preference. Sometimes they forget to turn it off and so you get "Express" N17s and so on. I think that's a major reason why the express branding has lost its meaning. At the very least, I think the company should make the PR code change automatically at the same time the destination sign changes to/from an express route, while allowing for drivers to override it temporarily to add a more important PR (Bus Full, etc.). It would still take a while for passengers to start trusting that it means anything though. But it's important, because even some policies (request stop on non-express routes after 9pm, for example) depend on whether the bus is officially express or not at that time. 

Why not do one better? Get rid of the "EXPRESS" PR message, add a full-height "EXPRESS" or "B-LINE" to the route code (but keeping the route # in place, which you can't do with a PR message!), and then add a generic "EXPRESS" route code for use for unscheduled express buses?

I'd also do the same thing with the "bus full" message, and have the bus simply display "BUS FULL / DROP-OFF ONLY" rather than display route information at all.

The RFP currently just says TBA for both "awarded to" and "proposals received from".  Curious why this seems to be taking so long with not much information available.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:07 PM, Brando737 said:

The RFP currently just says TBA for both "awarded to" and "proposals received from".  Curious why this seems to be taking so long with not much information available.

07be9388e586056b25347c060b432762.png