Express691

2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

This thread might get out of hand as buses enter service left right center.

Nova Suburbans to be numbered 18451-18473.
There are enough members on here that can verify this.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

Almost feels as if this doesnt follow the proper numbering sysem, but sure, i'll take it : )

1 hour ago, cleowin said:

Almost feels as if this doesnt follow the proper numbering sysem, but sure, i'll take it : )

They should have better organized the current numbering system.  Right now the numbers are in order of whatever type gets ordered first.  Should have been kept to this best they could:

• YR000 for Artics
  • YR100 for CNG
  • YR200 for Diesels
  • YR300 for Hybrids
  • YR400 for Suburbans

I realize some large orders may have made this somewhat difficult, but at least they would have some structure of numbers to type like the old system.  If a certain type ran into anothers allocated number range and the other type was coming at the same time, they could've started that other type at the next 10 if that makes any sense.

Just now, Brando737 said:

They should have better organized the current numbering system.  Right now the numbers are in order of whatever type gets ordered first.  Should have been kept to this best they could:

• YR000 for Artics
  • YR100 for CNG
  • YR200 for Diesels
  • YR300 for Hybrids
  • YR400 for Suburbans

I realize some large orders may have made this somewhat difficult, but at least they would have some structure of numbers to type like the old system.  If a certain type ran into anothers allocated number range and the other type was coming at the same time, they could've started that other type at the next 10 if that makes any sense.

Problem is when you have 2 orders of 100 or more units sequential to each other. then your offset is like 20.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Express691 said:

This photo was posted on Western Canadian Transit Lounge if anyone doesn't believe this.

FB_IMG_1538101499637.thumb.jpg.a06ded9e2ca91b5c9fedb5ed0ebe8b40.jpg

Credits to Derek Cheung.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, buizelbus said:

This photo was posted on Western Canadian Transit Lounge if anyone doesn't believe this.

FB_IMG_1538101499637.thumb.jpg.a06ded9e2ca91b5c9fedb5ed0ebe8b40.jpg

Credits to Derek Cheung.

I miss being in that group :( Thank you for sharing! 

6 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I miss being in that group :( Thank you for sharing! 

Well maybe if you behaved differently you'd still be in the group ... Just saying 🙄 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Well maybe if you behaved differently you'd still be in the group ... Just saying 🙄 

I'm pretty sure it's because somebody who's an admin in that group doesn't like me... 

• Haha 1

Completely off topic, but I found a video of a 2018 XD40 with L9 and Allison B400R6, and it sounded pretty close to our D40LFR's. It was easy to hear since the A/C was turned off. Wish CMBC would have stuck with Allison transmissions for even our CNG's, because I realized it's the transmission that gives the bus its unique sound.

I've found the sounds of all our excelsior's pretty lame because of the stupid ZF transmissons translink continues to request.

If anything, the shifting on the ZF EcoLife transmissions need a tweak. They shift way too quickly from launch to fourth gear and then toggle back and forth between it and gear three in normal city traffic. It should be spread out more imo.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

If anything, the shifting on the ZF EcoLife transmissions need a tweak. They shift way too quickly from launch to fourth gear and then toggle back and forth between it and gear three in normal city traffic. It should be spread out more imo.

On top of that, I've noticed that the shifting isn't in any way smooth at all either.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, popillil said:

On top of that, I've noticed that the shifting isn't in any way smooth at all either.

Stupid "cost saving"... I'd prefer a BAE hybrid over a ZF. Even a Allison hybrid as long as the hill isn't that steep.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, buizelbus said:

Stupid "cost saving"... I'd prefer a BAE hybrid over a ZF. Even a Allison hybrid as long as the hill isn't that steep.

Are the ZF trannys more fuel efficient, cheaper to maintain then the Allison ones or something?

18 hours ago, cleowin said:

Completely off topic, but I found a video of a 2018 XD40 with L9 and Allison B400R6, and it sounded pretty close to our D40LFR's. It was easy to hear since the A/C was turned off. Wish CMBC would have stuck with Allison transmissions for even our CNG's, because I realized it's the transmission that gives the bus its unique sound.

I've found the sounds of all our excelsior's pretty lame because of the stupid ZF transmissons translink continues to request.

Wished the 2009 nova buses we have had Allison b400r's, 3rd gen nova bus with cummins isl and allison b400r's sound the best.

Our 9 ZF Orions are pretty dreadful compared to the 74 Allison ones. I get the ZF transmission is "cost saving" but the overall ride is not the same compared to the Allison units. The ride is smooth on Xcelsiors for the most part, but the gearshifting is so rough.

2 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

18157, 18160 and 18165 in service now

You can also add 18167. I saw this bus in the states 1 month ago being delivered heh

• Like 1

Rode a 2018 XN40 for the first time, kinda reminds me of a Nova LFS with a weird pitch. Just confirmed how much i dislike ZF transmissions, the bus was so choppy and Its hard to keep balance.

It's off topic for this thread, but is it really cheaper to use ZF vs Allison vs Voith?

To a non-mechanic like me, the automatic gear shifting on the ZFs sounds like something that could be adjusted... Heck, I remember riding a D40 in Richmond that had come from North Vancouver whose transmission was tuned for hill climbing (at least, that was how the driver put it).

3 hours ago, cleowin said:

Rode a 2018 XN40 for the first time, kinda reminds me of a Nova LFS with a weird pitch. Just confirmed how much i dislike ZF transmissions, the bus was so choppy and Its hard to keep balance.

I do like the L9N engines better than the ISL G engines.