Express691

2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

On 9/14/2018 at 1:44 PM, Unloading Only said:

I understand why it's necessary, but it's still a bit sad to see this. The barriers really impede interaction with the driver, and have that feeling of barred windows, or a jail cell.

Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if any thought has been put into the psychological effects of the driver barriers. I can't imagine it is very pleasant to be trapped behind there all day, and for many drivers I've talked with, interacting with customers is an important part of the job to them. I took a particularly long trip on transit today, and I ended up having two great conversations, neither of which would have happened if the barriers were installed. Is this the end of saying "hello" and "thank you" to the bus driver?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meraki said:

Isn't using the barrier optional?

Due to the design and probably some sort of liability thing, no. Although I'm pretty sure part of the glass can slide out of the way if the driver wants more interaction with the passengers.

7 hours ago, Meraki said:

Isn't using the barrier optional?

Not really. Sure, you could remove the transparent top section but that makes it harder for you to hear the people behind you.

8 hours ago, 8010 said:

Due to the design and probably some sort of liability thing, no. Although I'm pretty sure part of the glass can slide out of the way if the driver wants more interaction with the passengers.

I can't confirm for your barriers but the few in Victoria BC have sliding glass in case the operator wants to converse with the passenger. There is alot of glare however. 

On 9/14/2018 at 1:15 PM, Matt Dunlop said:

Not related to this bus order, but are the 2019 deckers going to have driver shields? 

No. They are going to have laser beams instead. If the driver senses an imminent threat, he or she can push a large red button on the side console which will trigger laser beams concealed inside the onboard security cameras, vapourizing the threat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

21 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Where would I go if I wanted to find one of the 2018 Xcelsiors? Surrey? 

That's the most likely place to find them, yes. They can also be found in Langley, occasionally in Richmond (301) and New Westminster (340). One might even make its way to Ladner (640).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Where would I go if I wanted to find one of the 2018 Xcelsiors? Surrey? 

anywhere around Delta, Surrey, Langley and White Rock, these four locations are STC's zone

4 minutes ago, DJ1400 said:

anywhere around Delta, Surrey, Langley and White Rock, these four locations are STC's zone

Or downtown late at night if one manages to find its way onto a N19 block 😉