2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

22 hours ago, dover5949 said:

18325 appears in this video prior to being painted in CMBC colours 

It's just wrapped, actually. If these are in good enough shape to sell (most likely as battery electric units if that ends up being the case) by the time they're retiring, a heat gun and some goo-gone will put some nice white buses on Craigslist.

5 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Are you sure that they are only wrapped? IIRC, it was mentioned in the past that the charcoal colour is almost impossible to make into a wrap...

What I've heard is that Nova wraps its buses now. The only buses I have a definite answer for in terms of livery are ASV/REV Group shuttles (the 2007+ ElDorados and the IC ACs). Those are painted with the silver/charcoal base and the TransLink blue and yellow are decals which are removed by WC Remarketing after retirement, before they're sold to Burnaby Repo for public sale. I believe the older Novas with no charcoal are painted in a silver base with the blue and yellow as decals.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong topic:  there are still a couple of 72XX, and of course some 73XX and 74XX in Surrey.  Given their age, they will undoubtedly be coming up for retirement in the not too distant future.  What will they be replaced with?  Does anyone know?  Thanks.

57 minutes ago, gdt717 said:

Forgive me if this is in the wrong topic:  there are still a couple of 72XX, and of course some 73XX and 74XX in Surrey.  Given their age, they will undoubtedly be coming up for retirement in the not too distant future.  What will they be replaced with?  Does anyone know?  Thanks.

HTC will have 47 (I believe) new XN40s arriving in the coming months, my assumption is that some of the Nova HEVs at HTC will be moved over to STC to replace the remaining D40LFs there. The remaining D40LFs at RTC will be replaced by diesel Novas from VTC once more of the new Nova HEVs enter service.

Im pretty sure Surrey will be taking more XN40s as they are not equiped to/ refuse to take anything other than New Flyer. (I have talked to some Surrey operators on my travels.) Case in point, their general distaste towards the Orions and the favour they show towards the New Flyer. I believe Hamilton will take the reminant amount of the XN40 order. 

2 hours ago, Peterbiltguy1989@gmail.com said:

Im pretty sure Surrey will be taking more XN40s as they are not equiped to/ refuse to take anything other than New Flyer. (I have talked to some Surrey operators on my travels.)

If that were the case, no division would be running the Novas. Operators don't get to pick and choose their equipment — they're expected to operate what they're given.

That said, though, AIUI Surrey TC only has a couple dozen Flyers left. Why would they run such a small subfleet of Novas out of Surrey? Wouldn't economies of scale suggest that they should stay at Vancouver/Burnaby/Hamilton/Richmond? Also, won't Surrey need the room for more artics, for the coming upgrades to the #96 and improvements to Fraser Hwy. service?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cleowin said:

Why not just send the remaining XN40 order to STC? Makes mores sense then just simply giving HTC 2018 XN40's

How many CNG buses can Surrey support? IIRC Hamilton TC can only support about half of its fleet being CNG-fuelled.

Another option might be to move the XD40s to Surrey, or alternatively to move the D40LFRs to Richmond.

1 minute ago, GORDOOM said:

How many CNG buses can Surrey support? IIRC Hamilton TC can only support about half of its fleet being CNG-fuelled.

Another option might be to move the XD40s to Surrey, or alternatively to move the D40LFRs to Richmond.

I think the long term plan is for STC to be 100% CNG powered for its 40 foot division, and then Hybrid for its articulated operations.  Ido think they'll need more artics once fraser hwy gets improved as well as the 96 RapidBus Line.

in terms of STC's remaning D40LF's, i figured HTC was just going to add the 47 XN40's with nothing being retired. The reason im saying this is that once the VTC order is complete, HTC will probably have about 80-85 HEV's ? This should effectively kill all of HTC's d40LF's.

However, it became clear to me that the 2018/2019 bus order is to effective kill off all of our oldest fleet, so the only thing that is logical to me is to simply just assign the 2018 XN40's that are designated to HTC to STC

That being said, I could see the rest of the 2014 XN40's going back to PTC once the 2018 XN40's start arriving.

What might throw a wrench into all this is the cancellation of the Fraser Highway B-Line due to SkyTrain down Fraser and the changes to the 10 year Transportation Plan brought forth by Mayor McCallum.

I do believe that there is planning being done now to re-organize 502/503 service. It's just that nobody (us) knows now if such re-organization of service will warrant the need for articulated buses and potential downsizing on 40ft units.

The wiki page at STC lists around 35/36 D40LF still in service.

17 minutes ago, Express691 said:

What might throw a wrench into all this is the cancellation of the Fraser Highway B-Line due to SkyTrain down Fraser and the changes to the 10 year Transportation Plan brought forth by Mayor McCallum.

I do believe that there is planning being done now to re-organize 502/503 service. It's just that nobody (us) knows now if such re-organization of service will warrant the need for articulated buses and potential downsizing on 40ft units.

The wiki page at STC lists around 35/36 D40LF still in service.

I really think it will necessitate more artics. If nothing else, you could put artics on the existing #502 and be justified in doing so. That said, though, even if they don’t, a sub-fleet of 36 is still smaller than ideal - better to bring in more of an existing type, or send the D40LFRs away and make that sub-fleet larger.

6 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

I really think it will necessitate more artics. If nothing else, you could put artics on the existing #502 and be justified in doing so. That said, though, even if they don’t, a sub-fleet of 36 is still smaller than ideal - better to bring in more of an existing type, or send the D40LFRs away and make that sub-fleet larger.

bring the D40LFR's to HTC and send the Nova HEV's (All of em) to STC! Done : )

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, gdt717 said:

Most likely Nova HEVs from Vancouver. At least, that's what I've heard. My calculations show that would line up, too.

9 hours ago, Peterbiltguy1989@gmail.com said:

Im pretty sure Surrey will be taking more XN40s as they are not equiped to/ refuse to take anything other than New Flyer. (I have talked to some Surrey operators on my travels.) Case in point, their general distaste towards the Orions and the favour they show towards the New Flyer. I believe Hamilton will take the reminant amount of the XN40 order. 

If that were the case, then Novas would be scrapped and we would be ordering all diesels with Voith transmissions.

12 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

Most likely Nova HEVs from Vancouver. At least, that's what I've heard. My calculations show that would line up, too.

If that were the case, then Novas would be scrapped and we would be ordering all diesels with Voith transmissions.

I thought Hamilton would just fill up with Nova Bus HEVs instead of Surrey taking them as they know how to deal with them.

1 hour ago, Peterbiltguy1989@gmail.com said:

I thought Hamilton would just fill up with Nova Bus HEVs instead of Surrey taking them as they know how to deal with them.

Surrey got a few for demonstration recently. Surrey is better suited for them, HTC deals with intense hills.