2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

On 12/27/2018 at 12:01 AM, Community Shuttle said:

Sometimes they are helpful for operators when reversing. Since buses aren't equipped with backup cameras (closest thing TransLink buses have to those would be the backup sensors on shuttles), the back window does help the operator a bit in seeing how far they are from a wall, bus, or other thing they don't want to reverse into.

Uhm ... I had a gig where I had to do a fair bit of backing up on a daily basis and most of the coaches had rear windows. I would never think of using my interior mirror looking out the rear window to back up. No reference points, whatsoever. 

On 12/28/2018 at 2:59 PM, Jaymaud0804 said:

But why?

Welcome to cptdb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes they are helpful for operators when reversing. Since buses aren't equipped with backup cameras (closest thing TransLink buses have to those would be the backup sensors on shuttles), the back window does help the operator a bit in seeing how far they are from a wall, bus, or other thing they don't want to reverse into.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:11 AM, Brando737 said:

For me the back window is useless when backing up and probably is for most.  We are taught to use our mirrors and it's easy to know where everything is after you've been driving for a while.

When I went for training with Edmonton transit (ETS) we had to back around a corner between pylons and stop before the back hits the rear pylon and it was automatic failure if you hit any. No rear windows on any ETS 40 ft buses, only used mirrors. ETS used Alberta government employees to conduct road test and they are TOUGH, about 6 of my classmates failed for the smallest errors.

I found CMBC road test easy for backing, only a straight line and the training instructors conducts the test.

2 hours ago, Phillip said:

When I went for training with Edmonton transit (ETS) we had to back around a corner between pylons and stop before the back hits the rear pylon and it was automatic failure if you hit any. No rear windows on any ETS 40 ft buses, only used mirrors. ETS used Alberta government employees to conduct road test and they are TOUGH, about 6 of my classmates failed for the smallest errors.

I found CMBC road test easy for backing, only a straight line and the training instructors conducts the test.

The instructors at CMBC that do the road tests are certified by ICBC as examiner's which is why only so many of them conduct the tests.  I'm assuming you know that, but good to note it for the others on here.

• Thanks 1

What in the red hell are you talking about?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

18201 also in service. Only units remaining for STC are 18162 and 18206.

I don't know what's up with 18162, but I posted on here in September 2018 saying I saw it in Washington State on the I5. I'm predicting that it is at STC.

After making an average of 3 observations a week at RTC for the past 2 weeks there seems to be more of the new Nova's for RTC then what there is for VTC. A matter of fact there was about 3 Nova's for VTC & the rest were for RTC. Therefore if my prediction is correct we'll start to see more Nova's for RTC going into revenue service then VTC for the next few weeks or so? 

On 1/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, Thomasw said:

Is there any word as to what is going on with S18110?

It has not been in service since September 20th and for such a new bus I would expect to see it on the road not in the shops

16 hours ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

New buses can break down, too.

It takes about 80 hours to do a PDI from Cullen/ Novabus before it gets released to CMBC. And agreed, the new buses may have a few kinks even for being new. New parts can fail from factory.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, translink fan said:

It takes about 80 hours to do a PDI from Cullen/ Novabus before it gets released to CMBC. And agreed, the new buses may have a few kinks even for being new. New parts can fail from factory.

In fact, the failure rate of brand-new buses (or brand new pretty much anything) is sky-high. If something is going to break prematurely, most of the time it will do so right away.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, dover5949 said:

After making an average of 3 observations a week at RTC for the past 2 weeks there seems to be more of the new Nova's for RTC then what there is for VTC. A matter of fact there was about 3 Nova's for VTC & the rest were for RTC. Therefore if my prediction is correct we'll start to see more Nova's for RTC going into revenue service then VTC for the next few weeks or so? 

Entry into service schedule for the Nova Suburbans is 2 per week until the end of February.

By then RTC is also expected to have received all the 2009 T-drive Novas from VTC.

15 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Entry into service schedule for the Nova Suburbans is 2 per week until the end of February.

By then RTC is also expected to have received all the 2009 T-drive Novas from VTC.

Are any of these transfers retiring rtc’s

remaining d40lf’s?