2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

4 hours ago, cleowin said:

Do they sound like our other LFS buses? 

Good question! I wasn't that observant but I noticed it's definitely quieter. I'd say it sounds more like the XD40's in RTC.

They have a different feature for the wheelchair place, it has an assistance arm that swings in and outward. Both sides are forward facing.

39 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

It's for the privileged. /s

For some reason, my mind seems to think there are a lot less seats on these buses vs the Orions...

From what I can tell there's 8 rows of paired seats on those Novas vs 10 rows on the orions. Extra seat in the back row on the Nova, but I'm not sure how the number of seats up front compares just from looking at those pics. Best guess is orions have 3 or 4 more

37 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

It's for the privileged. /s

For some reason, my mind seems to think there are a lot less seats on these buses vs the Orions...

2 minutes ago, ThatBusGuy said:

From what I can tell there's 8 rows of paired seats on those Novas vs 10 rows on the orions. Extra seat in the back row on the Nova, but I'm not sure how the number of seats up front compares just from looking at those pics. Best guess is orions have 3 or 4 more

43 passenger seating

• Like 3

I figured these would allow for more standees, but it looks like it'll be about the same as the Orion's.  These will likely be used on the quieter suburban runs when the double deckers come in to service. With that being said, it's likely the double deckers will be primarily used on South Surrey and White Rock routes since in my experience are busier than South Delta.

I find it curious that these suburban Novas lack the padded bar that wheelchair passengers use to back into and secure themselves (can somebody please fill me in on what this is called?). Every other conventional bus we’ve received since 2005 has had it (including our new BAe hybdrids), but without it, it seems as though the operator will be required to strap in every single wheelchair that comes aboard.

For me, the sideways seats over the wheel well are really interesting. Idk how TransLink let that slide thru, but I think it's a fall waiting to happen should a bus take a tight corner too fast (unless you're like 6'8"). I also think it's a potential impediment for passenger flow within the bus. Not worth the safety for the 2 extra seats in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Citaro said:

I find it curious that these suburban Novas lack the padded bar that wheelchair passengers use to back into and secure themselves (can somebody please fill me in on what this is called?). Every other conventional bus we’ve received since 2005 has had it (including our new BAe hybdrids), but without it, it seems as though the operator will be required to strap in every single wheelchair that comes aboard.

Yes, the driver has to secure the wheelchair in these. For a scooter, the floor strap must be used as well. These Suburban Novas has a yellow assistance arm where the wheelchair backs in (look in the pic) that opens and closes. Also the side seats on the wheel well has a footrest that can lift up to make room for the wheelchair to pass by.   

13 hours ago, Express691 said:

For me, the sideways seats over the wheel well are really interesting. Idk how TransLink let that slide thru, but I think it's a fall waiting to happen should a bus take a tight corner too fast (unless you're like 6'8"). I also think it's a potential impediment for passenger flow within the bus. Not worth the safety for the 2 extra seats in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure those are special seats for tall riders :D

4 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Part of me wonders why they don't make use of trains for delivery in these kinds of conditions...

I agree, especially with the hybrids. Sustained high speed travel is really hard on the batteries....or at least it used to be. 

As far as I know, the engine is still only 250 horsepower. That will mean a net deficit if not stopped relatively often to recharge them.

Silver lining is it’s a helluva shakedown test en route.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

I have VINs:

18366 - 2NVYL82L3J3751377

18471 - 4RKYL82J0J9776746

I was just reading them through the front window, so I may have made some mistakes. Both were built in August of 2018.

Everything's right as far as I'm aware. I bet all the suburbans were built in Plattsburgh.

9 minutes ago, Express691 said:

I bet all the suburbans were built in Plattsburgh.

Nope. AFAIK, the first number of the VIN gives the location away. If it's a 2, it means it was built in Canada and that means Saint-Eustache since it's Nova's only plant up here. If it's a 4, then it comes from the US and hence Plattsburgh as that's Nova's only plant down there. Not surprising that Nova often splits its manufacturing locations for a single order; they've done this last year with the TTC's 8720-series LFSes.

7 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Nope. AFAIK, the first number of the VIN gives the location away. If it's a 2, it means it was built in Canada and that means Saint-Eustache since it's Nova's only plant up here. If it's a 4, then it comes from the US and hence Plattsburgh as that's Nova's only plant down there. Not surprising that Nova often splits its manufacturing locations for a single order; they've done this last year with the TTC's 8720-series LFSes.

So you mean to say yes.

I double checked the VIN identification page.

18367 -> Hybrid -> 2NVY -> St. Eustache 

18471 -> Suburban -> 4RKY -> Plattsburgh

Sorry if our fleet numbers got you there ? our 18xxx's are novas, xcelsiors, and ARBOCs at the same time.

Both VINs are valid:

2NVYL82L3J3751377
2018 Nova Bus LFS L4, 8.5L (519 CID)

FULL VEHICLE DETAILS
Manufacturer    Nova Bus
Model Year    2018
Model        LFS
Engine Series    L4, 8.5L (519 CID)
Engine Capacity    250HP
Fuel Type    Diesel
Vehicle Details    Bus
Brake System    Air