2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

H87UKNT.png

QrqI26D.png

There is/was one new NovaBus running a full day block on the 41, which gave me some time to check it out. Overall, it's better than what we had before... Mostly...

• As some other folks already mentioned, that front card reader is lower than expected. The back one is also low, but not dramatically so.
  • The engine stops and starts often. While this seems to be normal for a series-powered hybrid, I can't help but wonder if the constant starting and stopping will incur some sort of maintenance penalty down the road.
  • The addition armrests / handrails at the wheelchair section should be re-considered. The way it is laid out right now, it really narrows the central aisle and constricts passenger movements. I think it makes more sense to stick a few vertical stanchions along that front section instead.
  • The side-facing seating over the rear wheels is... interesting. I wonder if they ever considered elevating those four seats just a little so that people wouldn't feel compelled to stretch their legs out into the aisle.
  • For some reason, TransLink was supplied yellow push-to-exit bars. And for equally odd reasons, they decided to keep it and stick dark blue "TOUCH HERE" labels on it... This looks bad for two reasons:
    • It's not gray, like the rest of the fleet.
    • Dark blue and yellow are just incompatible with each other.
    • You're supposed to be pushing the bar, not just touching it.
  • Finally, it seems like TransLink's signs and labeling department has slacked off this time. Usually, TransLink does a good job making and sticking its own labels everywhere in place of what the manufacturer supplies...
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

The engine stops and starts often. While this seems to be normal for a series-powered hybrid, I can't help but wonder if the constant starting and stopping will incur some sort of maintenance penalty down the road.

The turbo could go due to lack of cooling and lubrication. However, I'm pretty sure there's a pre-lube/post-lube system installed to solve that issue, allowing oil to flow through the turbo at all times (and even after the bus gets shut off) to keep it healthy. Would be surprised if it doesn't. Then it would incur some sort of maintenance penalty down the road. Turbo cars like the Mercedes E63 or even the Ford Fusion are equipped with these systems and wouldn't have them if they didn't have pre-lube/post-lube systems too. Of course, it could also be harmful to the starter but I'm sure they were upgraded to handle the constant stopping and starting.

10 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

H87UKNT.png

QrqI26D.png

There is/was one new NovaBus running a full day block on the 41, which gave me some time to check it out. Overall, it's better than what we had before... Mostly...

• As some other folks already mentioned, that front card reader is lower than expected. The back one is also low, but not dramatically so.
  • The engine stops and starts often. While this seems to be normal for a series-powered hybrid, I can't help but wonder if the constant starting and stopping will incur some sort of maintenance penalty down the road.
  • The addition armrests / handrails at the wheelchair section should be re-considered. The way it is laid out right now, it really narrows the central aisle and constricts passenger movements. I think it makes more sense to stick a few vertical stanchions along that front section instead.
  • The side-facing seating over the rear wheels is... interesting. I wonder if they ever considered elevating those four seats just a little so that people wouldn't feel compelled to stretch their legs out into the aisle.
  • For some reason, TransLink was supplied yellow push-to-exit bars. And for equally odd reasons, they decided to keep it and stick dark blue "TOUCH HERE" labels on it... This looks bad for two reasons:
    • It's not gray, like the rest of the fleet.
    • Dark blue and yellow are just incompatible with each other.
    • You're supposed to be pushing the bar, not just touching it.
  • Finally, it seems like TransLink's signs and labeling department has slacked off this time. Usually, TransLink does a good job making and sticking its own labels everywhere in place of what the manufacturer supplies...

Holy Crap! I WAS SITTING NEXT TO YOU!!

• Haha 1

Regarding the 18300 series Novas;
Victoria has the same "problem" with the rear legroom with the side-facing seats. Nova can't really figure out what to do with their wheel humps so it does protrude into foot space. 
I can't say, but I'm sure many operators hate the "jump seat" behind the driver with Novas, at least that's what they say here. 

If anybody has any interior shots (facing towards the rear from the front) could they post one? I'm curious what the front accessible area looks like compared to Victoria's LFS.