2018 Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Express691

19 hours ago, Mountie said:

I understand your confusion. Upon seeing "chrome-like" I assumed it was in reference to the wheels instead.

Upon delivery of the WVMT XD40's, their wheels had a particular lustre, wheels that did not compare to CMBC's Xcelsiors when they were delivered.

It could also be different suppliers altogether. I do not believe CMBC has Alcoas, as it seems as if they are painted/primed over, and bears a resemblance to the light grey on the Sweep scheme we have, bearing a likeness- if not, perfect accuracy of Accuride's optional grey primer or topcoat they treat their wheels. Accuride also has an optional white primer or topcoat- possibly the wheels used on our older D40LF's. Alcoa by Arconic and Accuride are both wheel suppliers of NFI, so take my speculation with the finest grain of salt.

I agree, polishing aluminum wheels is indeed extra work, looks like CMBC has gone via the "function over fashion" route instead.

CMBC uses hub piloted steel wheels from Accuride (or whatever is approved by TL/CMBC and is similar) and they're powder coated silver to match the livery. West Vancouver uses Alcoa Dura-Bright or similar aluminum wheels.

10 hours ago, WillieTL said:

So what paint scheme and window configuration do you guys think the nova HEV's will have?

Standard charcoal paint scheme. Window configuration will be two per side.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

So the new Novas will be painted rather than tinted and decaled?

By the sounds of it, yes. I honestly like the charcoal livery better than the light grey, the light grey looks weird to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

So the new Novas will be painted rather than tinted and decaled?

They will very likely be painted, but no specific details are available.

However, someone asked earlier regarding the seating arrangement on Novas: TL has specified its preferred rear seating arrangement to be similar to the CMBC XD40s and XN40s (first row front facing, subsequent bench style) regardless of the tender and Nova offers that layout, but the layout is not confirmed and no details are available.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2018 at 6:42 PM, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Do you mean the turbo-barking ? Or as most of you guys know "back-firing". I think it's safe to say these new XN40's will be making that sound as it's pretty common with CNG engines. 

This is because CNG engines operate on the same principle as gasoline engines and have throttle plates as a result. The turbo barking issue can be solved if a blow off valve is installed on the bus. This isn't really good for the turbo (and so isn't running the bus "dry," which is driving without letting it "warm up" for a while, and, very commonly, shutting them down "hot," which wears out the turbos and causes them to fail early - an issue that was very common on the old diesel Ford shuttles), but I assume they'll come without them since I've never heard a CNG transit bus with a BOV.

• 2 weeks later...

According to an email I received from the CMBC Maintenance Division all conventional buses from 2018, and in future orders, will have the seat's cushion foam be increased in thickness by 25% to improve passenger comfort.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

According to an email I received from the CMBC Maintenance Division all conventional buses from 2018, and in future orders, will have the seat's cushion foam be increased in thickness by 25% to improve passenger comfort.

This is great news. The seats on the 2005+ non-suburban buses are okay, but this would improve them A LOT for long rides, like 410s in heavy traffic or routes going through a gridlocked downtown.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Was it one of those JetSet Parking Novas? Those aren't TransLink's NovaBuses.

There have been a lot of JSP Novas driving around in Richmond lately (they're probably about to see a lot of passengers and the Prevost shop is near the South end of No. 5 Rd.; I've also seen one heading southbound on Highway 99 towards the tunnel) so it wouldn't surprise me if it was one.

1 hour ago, Brando737 said:

Probably going to get prepped for service.  No license plates yet and the bag is still on the drivers seat.  Looks beautiful, even the tires are shiny.

20180424_202139.jpg

nice:lol:, when did these bus arrive? are they arrive at detroit engine at port kells?

• 3 weeks later...

These are just my hopes/speculations for the new Novas (since I'm not a fan of our current ones):

2018 LFS HEV: Cummins ISL9 engine

2018(?) LFS Suburban: Cummins ISL9 engine with either Allison or Voith transmission

I wouldn't be surprised if both Nova models have Luminator Horizon destination signs.

I've mentioned this before but I really hope that the rear seating positioning (the seats that face each other) is changed so that people don't have to cram themselves awkwardly in the back.

Are the LFS Suburbans still coming in 2018? I haven't seen/heard anything as to when they're arriving.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

These are just my hopes/speculations for the new Novas (since I'm not a fan of our current ones):

2018 LFS HEV: Cummins ISL9 engine

2018(?) LFS Suburban: Cummins ISL9 engine with either Allison or Voith transmission

I wouldn't be surprised if both Nova models have Luminator Horizon destination signs.

I've mentioned this before but I really hope that the rear seating positioning (the seats that face each other) is changed so that people don't have to cram themselves awkwardly in the back.

Are the LFS Suburbans still coming in 2018? I haven't seen/heard anything as to when they're arriving.

Not sure on all the exact specs, but the hybrids will be BAE so they have the option in the future to make them fully electric bus.  

As for timeline of delivery, last I heard was they will start arriving in June or July.  Not sure what type will be first, but probably the suburbans and there's only 25.  And this could be wrong or change, but last I heard, the suburbans will at STC

1 hour ago, Brando737 said:

Not sure on all the exact specs, but the hybrids will be BAE so they have the option in the future to make them fully electric bus.  

As for timeline of delivery, last I heard was they will start arriving in June or July.  Not sure what type will be first, but probably the suburbans and there's only 25.  And this could be wrong or change, but last I heard, the suburbans will at STC

So the Suburbans and HEVs are from the same order?