The Trillium Line

MCIBUS

14 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

Several reports on the Stage 2 website have mentioned that running the Airport spur using separate trains from the mainline would be required. Using the LINTs there would certainly be feasible.

Those reports stated that there were only limited times of day - rush hours, for instance - where the two services would need to be separated.

Also, there is nothing precluding them from running the LINTs as pairs to make up an 80m train. In fact, that was one of the ideas much earlier on in the planning process when the Talents were still to have been kept around.

Dan

Quick question.

What is the length of the Talents and the LINT? The new trains are to be 80m but would be nice to compare. I guess the station lengths will be expanded as a result of the new size?

And if the FLIRT trains are 80m that would mean they would be 4 cars per train, compared to the current 2, or 3 from the previous Talents?

Also, the Trillium line will be double track from Bayview to the Southern terminus? And what for the Airport spur?

LINTs are 42 meters in length. I'm not sure about the Talents but they can't be much longer (if at all) as no changes were done to the platforms other than the extenders when the LINTs arrived.

They say four doors, so I'd presume four cars. Platforms were to be extended anyways, as the plan for as long as I can remember was to run coupled LINTs.

As far as double track...nothing is really set in stone, but there's zero chance of the whole thing being twinned with the money available to spend. It would cost far more than 80 million just to twin the bridge over the river, let alone the tunnel and any of the other bridges along the line. I'd be very surprised (although pleasantly) if they didn't just go with the status quo of single track with one or two additional passing tracks. I do believe the plan was to double track from Gladstone to Bayview however. I'd be very surprised if they did any more than a double track station for the airport spur given the low frequency it'd be running.

24 minutes ago, HB_1024 said:

LINTs are 42 meters in length. I'm not sure about the Talents but they can't be much longer (if at all) as no changes were done to the platforms other than the extenders when the LINTs arrived.

They say four doors, so I'd presume four cars. Platforms were to be extended anyways, as the plan for as long as I can remember was to run coupled LINTs.

As far as double track...nothing is really set in stone, but there's zero chance of the whole thing being twinned with the money available to spend. It would cost far more than 80 million just to twin the bridge over the river, let alone the tunnel and any of the other bridges along the line. I'd be very surprised (although pleasantly) if they didn't just go with the status quo of single track with one or two additional passing tracks. I do believe the plan was to double track from Gladstone to Bayview however. I'd be very surprised if they did any more than a double track station for the airport spur given the low frequency it'd be running.

To see where they are adding passing tracks and/or extending them check out geoOttawa and check the box “Rail implementation Office” under more layers. It shows that most of the new line will be double tracked. They have not added the Limebank extension just yet, so Bowesville/ Earl Armstrong station might change.

http://maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa/

-Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed the Stage 2 team to clarify a few things regarding the new trains.

The confirmed that the new FLIRT trains will have 8 doors (per side) as shown in a previously posted picture (2 doors per car). They also said that in operation they would use 6 FLIRTs and one LINT on the mainline and then two LINTs on the Airport Link.

I was just looking t the route numbers OC uses.

Route 2 is Bayview to Greenboro(Stage 2 extended to what ever its suppose to go to)

Route 1 is for The Confederation Line Blair To Tunneys(then Stage 2-Trim To Baseline)

I see the extension to Kanata being called Route 3-Kanata to Trim

I could be mistaken though.

@OCCheetos

Did they say exactly how many FLIRT trains we will be getting? Also who's the manufacture of these trains?

Since there will be two different types of trains running, I can't see them running the Flirts during the weekends, since ridership is way lower then during the week.

I can see them running all 6 LINTS on weekends at a reduced schedule.

20 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Since there will be two different types of trains running, I can't see them running the Flirts during the weekends, since ridership is way lower then during the week.

I can see them running all 6 LINTS on weekends at a reduced schedule.

I would not assume that they would only use the LINTS on the weekend, as the ridership of the line will increase significantly, with most people  (that now take the bus) from Barrhaven and Riverside South and farther using it to get downtown, as it will most likely be the terminal for many of the local routes, as people as a whole prefer riding a train then taking a bus. It will also most likely attract more people to park and ride at Limebank station, then take the train downtown for the day on the weekend.

-Charlie

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

I would not assume that they would only use the LINTS on the weekend, as the ridership of the line will increase significantly, with most people  (that now take the bus) from Barrhaven and Riverside South and farther using it to get downtown, as it will most likely be the terminal for many of the local routes, as people as a whole prefer riding a train then taking a bus. It will also most likely attract more people to park and ride at Limebank station, then take the train downtown for the day on the weekend.

-Charlie

If frequency is maintained, they may be able to get away with a mixed fleet of uncoupled LINTs and FLIRTs, unlike the weekdays when only coupled LINTs would be in service. This would provide maximum flexibility for maintenance, and would reduce unnecessary wear on a trainset or two.

10 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Why would a route that's many times longer overlay a shorter route following the exact same track? What about the section to Baseline?

Well from Baseline to Trim would be route 2 or as it was like the 95 & kanata to Trim would be route 3 just like the 96(old)/97 is/was.

46 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Some ties have been put in place for the new Trillium Line platform at Bayview, with rail placed alongside. Also, along some places of the rail line replacement ties have been put next to the track.

The bundles of replacement ties have been there since the fall. I think some have been replaced at Brookfield recently.

7 minutes ago, OCCheetos said:

The bundles of replacement ties have been there since the fall. I think some have been replaced at Brookfield recently.

Should have clarified, the ties are no longer in bundles and are placed individually next to the ties they will replace.

-Charlie

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, OCCheetos said:

I emailed the Stage 2 team to clarify a few things regarding the new trains.

The confirmed that the new FLIRT trains will have 8 doors (per side) as shown in a previously posted picture (2 doors per car). They also said that in operation they would use 6 FLIRTs and one LINT on the mainline and then two LINTs on the Airport Link.

When have they said there will be an order of FLIRT trains? I can't find it anywhere on the Stage 2 website.

Edit: it's here. The axle configuration regarding the middle power car is quite similar to the ELRON trains in Estonia.

http://www.stage2lrt.ca/news/city-secures-funding-to-extend-o-train-trillium-line-to-the-heart-of-riverside-south/

On 6/1/2018 at 7:49 AM, anyfong said:

When have they said there will be an order of FLIRT trains? I can't find it anywhere on the Stage 2 website.

Edit: it's here. The axle configuration regarding the middle power car is quite similar to the ELRON trains in Estonia.

http://www.stage2lrt.ca/news/city-secures-funding-to-extend-o-train-trillium-line-to-the-heart-of-riverside-south/

Keep in mind that the train shown in the press release is shorter than the trains that are being purchased, which are actually 4 cars long.

My guess is that the 4-car configuration would look something like this. Instead of one door per car there would be two. Fast forward to 5:07.

Also in the Estonian version the diesel engine acts as a generator, and there are electric motors in the axles at either end.

And also 4:34 here. Also note multiple-unit operation, something Ottawa could consider if platform extensions could be done.

• Thanks 1

It would of been nice if they had the old Bombardier Cut of of the old trains as well as the Flints yet to arrive? Oh well maybe in a few years well have cut outs of the Flints. 

I know in this Formum there's a discussion on paper cut outs with pics of OC buses. Problem is I don;t know how to print them out to be the same size as the DD & Hybrid bus cut outs? Anyone know how its done?

OPPS wrong thread. Can the mods move it to GOA Question thread?