The Trillium Line

MCIBUS

What a joke? It shut down yet again because of delays which probably means switches yet again!!

Ever since they've added those extra passing lanes, the line has been shut down or delayed anywhere from 2-6 times a week.Sorry but thats just pathetic. They've spent millions upgrading the service & tracks to improve wait times and  overcrowding, yet there constantly replacing  the service with Route 107.

If this was in Toronto with the GO Transit Trains this issue would be fixed pretty dam fast so it wouldn't be an issue.  

They should of double track it from Greenboro to Bayview. If that meant rebuilding bridges an extra tunnel under Dow;s Lake so be it at least you wouldn't constantly be replacing it with Route 107.

Yes you would of spent many more millions in the upgrades, but at least you woiuldn't have all these issues. As well when the 2nd Phase gets started(assuming they can exactly get funding from the province & Feds in real dollars with t6e check and not "Promises they'll get the funding), I'll bet you there will be even more issues and shut downs. The entire line needs to be double track from start to finsh to avoid these "Switch" issues.

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Yes you would of spent many more millions in the upgrades, but at least you woiuldn't have all these issues.

"Many" more?

Try several hundred million more. We're talking about a LOT of infrastructure to make necessary for what you are proposing. A submarine tunnel. Multiple bridges. Widening cuts. This is not insignificant work.

And for what, a line that sees 10 minute service. Is that really an effective use of tax dollars?

Yeah, the line is running like shit right now. Maybe a better idea would be for OC to try and get everything resolved. Spending $200mil or more to double-track the line isn't the answer.

Dan

To say that the line is shut down 2-6 times per week is sensationalized. It is nowhere near that number, and there are plenty of weeks where it is not shut down at all. And besides, what rail system doesn't have delays? Look at the subway in Toronto. I see multiple delay messages every day. Perhaps not to the same magnitude, but when you consider how many passengers the subway carries as compared to the Trillium line I think the two are roughly equal. You mention GO Transit, there was a delay yesterday that reportedly went to 21 minutes because of an engine failure. These kinds of delays come with the territory of being a rail system, it's not like a bus that can detour around the affected area.

What I'd love to know about is why the whole line gets shut down in the face of a single switch failure. There is really no reason why trains can't run through parts of the line that are unaffected by the problems. A few hundred or thousand put towards rail traffic control operations should correct for that. No need to spend hundreds of millions to twin track for relatively little benefit.

The other part of the problem is that what was promised was so much more than this. What we have is basically what the technology is capable of. You don't put in two short passing sidings and expect to halve the frequency with that, but yet that is exactly what was promised. The designers completely failed to make the correct estimates, and now we are stuck with this.

Another very possible solution is to drop the idea of having a schedule-based system and move to one based on headways. They already did this on the platforms. What I love the most is the fact that OC's website says "Trillium Line departure times are estimated. Service runs very frequently, approximately every 10 minutes" and yet the "placeholder" schedule is for every 12 minutes! I really hope they are not planning on having a schedule-based service for the Confederation line, or even thinking about putting up a "placeholder" schedule. People will think it is THE schedule and complain when the train inevitably doesn't leave at that time because of some issue or another.

• Like 2

Wasn't council told that a new tunnel and double tracking would cost 60 million? Not pocket change but certainly affordable in terms of benefits. I recall that all councillors were happy with this but none of them willing to do any lobbying to obtain funds  

Right now am willing to give them some slack the ice must play havoc with the switches and because it's a mainline, as opposed to the Confederation Line, maintenance is hell. 

On 2017-01-15 at 2:27 PM, HB_1024 said:

To say that the line is shut down 2-6 times per week is sensationalized. It is nowhere near that number, and there are plenty of weeks where it is not shut down at all. And besides, what rail system doesn't have delays? Look at the subway in Toronto. I see multiple delay messages every day. Perhaps not to the same magnitude, but when you consider how many passengers the subway carries as compared to the Trillium line I think the two are roughly equal.

It's hard not to agree. A rough calculation shows me an average weekday number of 91 roundtrips, with 3 trains running simultaneously. Even if a mishap has consequences on 60 station arrivals per week (let's say 4 cancelled arrivals at each of the 5 stations), the OTP is still well over 95% ― which is pretty damn good for a rail line with at-grade crossings and single-track sections!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The addition to Greenboro station opened this morning, and the detour ramp is now closed. There are now steps or a ramp up the the station entrance. Inside, wooden boxes cover where the faregates will be installed, and posters on the wall show the new faregates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-03-12 at 11:11 PM, CyrusKafaiWu said:

apparently, you have to tap your presto card to exit! 

I don't see anywhere where it says that. The only reason that would be necessary is to enforce the transfer period, which is unlikely, or prevent people from opening the gates "Toronto style" which also seems unlikely.

• Like 1

Carleton Stn new fare gate entrance's is 90% complete. The sheltered entrences (by the looks of things) will not have doors. 

One thing I noticed is students will congregate inside the large shelter  insted of on the train platforms. (Which I can see will be more of a issue once the gates are installed).

IMG_2880.thumb.JPG.b01e809f31ae311fe755249c2ddbc097.JPG

That's because there is no shelter on the actual platform for them to congregate in instead! I hope they decide to add some shelters, otherwise that will turn into a problem when the fare gates come in.

The northbound platform does have a single shelter. The southbound one has the metal frame for a shelter, but the glass was all removed.

17 minutes ago, HB_1024 said:

That's because there is no shelter on the actual platform for them to congregate in instead! I hope they decide to add some shelters, otherwise that will turn into a problem when the fare gates come in.

The northbound platform does have a single shelter. The southbound one has the metal frame for a shelter, but the glass was all removed.

Carleton use to have 4 Shelters (2 on each side) 2 were removed and the remaining 2 relocated to the center of the platform.

IMG_2897.PNG

On 2017-03-18 at 9:01 PM, Oc4526 said:

Carleton Stn new fare gate entrance's is 90% complete. The sheltered entrences (by the looks of things) will not have doors. 

One thing I noticed is students will congregate inside the large shelter  insted of on the train platforms. (Which I can see will be more of a issue once the gates are installed).

IMG_2880.thumb.JPG.b01e809f31ae311fe755249c2ddbc097.JPG

The structure at Confederation is similar in construction to the ones at Carleton, and it was getting door frames installed this morning. I assume Carleton will have them as well.

• 3 weeks later...

geoOttawa (maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa) now shows the proposed track layout of the O-Train Confederation and Trillium Lines out to 2023 (except for the recently announced extension from Bayshore to Moodie).  It also shows crossovers, sidings and storage tracks, whether the stations will have island or side platforms, and the track layout at the Belfast and Walkley Yards.  To view the plans, click on "More Layers" in the top right corner of the screen and check the "Rail Implementation Office" box.

To see the station layouts for the Confederation Line, click here.

The Trillium Line is double-tracked between Bayview Station and Beech Street, through Carleton University, between Brookfield Avenue and Walkley Road, around South Keys Station, around Lester Road, between Leitrim Road and Bowesville Station, and around Uplands Station.  Crossovers are located just south of Bayview Station, south of Hunt Club Road, and just east of Bowesville Station.

Station Layouts:

Bayview: Double-tracked, side platforms (new configuration)
Gladstone: Double-tracked, side platforms (new station)
Carling: Single track, single platform (current configuration)
Carleton: Double-tracked, side platforms (current configuration)
Confederation: Single track, single platform (current configuration)
Walkley: Single track, single platform (new station)
Greenboro: Single track, single platform (current configuration)
South Keys: Double-tracked, island platform with storage track (new station)

Riverside South Branch:
Leitrim: Double-tracked, side platforms (new station)
Bowesville: Double-tracked, staggered side platforms with storage tracks (new station)

Airport Spur:
Uplands: Double-tracked, side platforms (new station)
Airport: Single track, single platform (new station)

• 2 weeks later...

This was quoted out of the following article relating to the stage 2 detours.

"They’ll install a double left-turning lane into Carleton University on Bronson Avenue going northbound, as well as a queue jump for buses around Homewood Avenue, Swail said. A new stop will also be added to the route at Preston Street and Gladstone Avenue. Buses will operate about every five minutes along the route."

https://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/7212503-residents-keep-track-of-bus-detours/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-01 at 7:36 PM, andreasv said:

Looks like there's some sort of roadway being built between the greenboro park and ride, crossing one of the connector tracks to walkley and heading towards the Trillium line trackage.

The CN track in the yard is currently being re-constructed/modified, and it looks like some of that work will occur on the curve from the yard to the CR tracks to the south.

• 1 month later...

There put up for sale. Not sure if there still on OC property or have ben sold? It to bad the 3rd train dereailed and became useless. That would of been perfect for the Airport link. Use the Talent Trains for that section while using the Alston trains on themain line?