Sign in to follow this  
Transit 20

New Fare Boxes.

Josh   

Has anyone actually rode a trip with one of these damn things? Boardings are now slower then ever. Don't know why the driver can't just push a button to make the transfer print?

shivers   

I have. The biggest delay is that everyone that gets aboard needs an explanation of what to do with the new machines. It's a temporary problem until there are more of them out there and more passengers are used to them.

As for self-serve transfers, it's all part of trying to reduce fare evasion; one fare, one transfer, 90 minutes, end of story. Can't wheedle another transfer out of the driver if they don't have the ability to print one.

kt808   

According to my driver friend, there are at least 12 with new fareboxes installed in service. And all the drivers are finally going through formal training for them. Yes, you read that right, they are just being trained now.

" Don't know why the driver can't just push a button to make the transfer print? "

In short, transit fraud. The Region is finally moving towards ending the "free ride" subculture. You want a transfer, you have to pay the fare. About time GRT start this, try to board a TTC bus without paying and see how far you get.

yep and security enforcement starts when all the new fare boxes are up and running and the tap cards are running things are changing at GRT finally

kt808   

Apparently close to half the Kitchener fleet is now done. Also, drivers are grumbling about some placements as the large touchscreens are getting in the way of their hands/arms while driving. I guess there is still a lot of beta-testing going on.