Réseau de transport de Longueuil

tristan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Exactly. This is why there is zero investment in Terminus Panama. This is why there is no momentum on replacing our garage in St-Hubert. This is why we have artics, as a stopgap measure while we wait for action in the Champlain Bridge corridor. The various levels of government and the transportation authorities need to find consensus on this issue - with so many players at the table, it is difficult to remain optimistic. Even after the Mercier Bridge hoopla in 2011, we seem to have gone back to our old habits (ignorance is bliss), forgetting the true impacts of congestion in the city. There is a cost to this congestion (not just environmentally, think about lost productivity). I hope that we can offer a better service in this lifetime!

Exactly. This is why there is zero investment in Terminus Panama. This is why there is no momentum on replacing our garage in St-Hubert. This is why we have artics, as a stopgap measure while we wait for action in the Champlain Bridge corridor. The various levels of government and the transportation authorities need to find consensus on this issue - with so many players at the table, it is difficult to remain optimistic. Even after the Mercier Bridge hoopla in 2011, we seem to have gone back to our old habits (ignorance is bliss), forgetting the true impacts of congestion in the city. There is a cost to this congestion (not just environmentally, think about lost productivity). I hope that we can offer a better service in this lifetime!

Sounds like the GTA!

As you guys said they have been throwing that idea around for decades. Ya it would be cool but it would unfortunately take a lot of buses off the road. Lets hope they keep taking their time for the train and in the meantime provide a more permanent reserved bus corridor on the new Champlain bridge.

All existing bus routes would merely serve the train stations "Chevrier" and "Panama" with no layoffs (mise a pied) foreseen.

This LRT disadvantages the customer who will no longer have a one seat ride to TCV. I look forward to seeing how the service provisoire (emergency shuttlebus) will be deployed.

They've been at this debate since the 70's... I'll believe it when it happens.

That's disappointing. I'm not very knowledgable of what goes on outside the island, but I hope we see an LRT on the Rive-Sud sometime in the next decade or two. As SMS says, congestion costs the region a lot. 1.4 billion $ per year, in fact.

As you guys said they have been throwing that idea around for decades. Ya it would be cool but it would unfortunately take a lot of buses off the road. Lets hope they keep taking their time for the train and in the meantime provide a more permanent reserved bus corridor on the new Champlain bridge.

Why would this be better?

That's disappointing. I'm not very knowledgable of what goes on outside the island, but I hope we see an LRT on the Rive-Sud sometime in the next decade or two. As SMS says, congestion costs the region a lot. 1.4 billion $ per year, in fact.

This 1.4 B$ thing comes from a study covering a period from 1998 to 2003. And congestion costs grew by 65% solely in that period.

I am positive it's much more than that today. It is quite late to still discuss about decent and permanent high-capacity passenger transit link along that corridor ; that should have been done way before now.

"The next decade or two" will be the growth of the 3rd and 4th suburban belts, with increased car usage due to lower density. The nearer suburbs have to have high-capacity, high-speed transit in order to allow Metropolitan Montréal to move itself.

Why would this be better?

I personally prefer a 1 seat ride from home to downtown, like the RTL provides during peak hours (and did at all times pre 1986!)

Changing vehicles at windy Panama discourages people from using public transit in my opinion.

I personally prefer a 1 seat ride from home to downtown, like the RTL provides during peak hours (and did at all times pre 1986!)

Changing vehicles at windy Panama discourages people from using public transit in my opinion.

I cannot see it going back to the way it was. The 45 has to do the job of at least ten off-peak routes (5, 15, 32, 35, 42/60, 44, 47, 49, 50, and 132). Even if you ran them staggered at hour long intervals, there would be one forty footer on average every 6 minutes. Right now we are doing the job during weekdays off peak running one sixty footer every 10 minutes. The 45 shuttle is here to stay and essentially is the LRT-in-waiting. It would not be surprising to me if we retired the artics on the first day of LRT operation (if it ever happens) although some would love to run artics on Ch de Chambly...

It is evident that management only cares about the choice rider at rush hour and is indifferent to the captive rider off peak.

At the same time, waiting conditions could be improved at Panama at the AMT's discretion, as the RTL no longer has any control of what happens at auto parc Brossard. Not a cent will be invested in this terminal until a solution to the Champlain Bridge is met (whether we continue with bus operations or we go to LRT). The ideal setup would be similar to that which exists at Terminus Longueuil with an enclosed waiting area and no pedestrians in the way of buses. Time will tell if the AMT is worth their salt, but with the recent bus terminals that they've constructed (Montmorency, Cartier, and the worst of the lot, Côte-Vertu), I would not bet on it.

we are only taking delivery of one sole bus (21233) this year.

Didn't want to go off topic in the classic watch thread, so I'll quote SMS's comment about one bus ordered for 2013 here. So, why only one bus (21233) in 2013? Btw, I've yet to ever see 21232 either. The highest bus I've seen is 21231.

Didn't want to go off topic in the classic watch thread, so I'll quote SMS's comment about one bus ordered for 2013 here. So, why only one bus (21233) in 2013? Btw, I've yet to ever see 21232 either. The highest bus I've seen is 21231.

21232 is sitting at Longueuil garage collecting dust, I've only seen it once in service last fall. That same day, the driver asked for a change off because of the strong new bus smell that was very strong because the heat was on. I'm sure that not the reason why this bus doesn't go out. The last time I was at Longueuil garage the bus was parked in row J.

21232 is sitting at Longueuil garage collecting dust, I've only seen it once in service last fall. That same day, the driver asked for a change off because of the strong new bus smell that was very strong because the heat was on. I'm sure that not the reason why this bus doesn't go out. The last time I was at Longueuil garage the bus was parked in row J.

There must be something seriously wrong with that bus if its never seen service since that time. I'll have to go take a look at it soon.

I think it is a late delivery for the supplemental 2012 bus order thanks to the MTQ congestion mitigation measures.

• 2 weeks later...

Effective 1 April 2013:

• NEW route 39: Panama to DIX30 via the Autoroute 10 busway and will operate 7 days a week
  • Return of route 28 on weekends, short turn at city hall for the public market
  • Routes 35 and 135 extended to Place Java and have a modified routing in DIX30 (no longer serving Wal-Mart)
  • Modified routing for 128, now to travel via Taschereau, Jacques-Cartier, and Chambly instead of Roland-Therrien
  • NEW reserved lane on Marc-Cantin, buses will be encouraged to use this in lieu of a portion of Autoroute Bonaventure in AM rush hour

Expect delays and detours on the following routes:

• Roland-Therrien, affecting routes 10, 17, and 117 (which is why 128 has a modified routing)
  • Riverside Phase 2, affecting routes 6/106, 13, 14, and 15

• 1 month later...

Great news guys! The RTL has finally joined the 20th century and has installed code d'arrêt on the bottom right hand corner of our bus stop flags. However, we haven't put into place anything online from what I can tell to figure out what time the bus will come to your stop. I don't know about our phone line either.

Customer service told me that people have even called them and given them the (Pattison) bus shelter number hoping that this was the bus stop code for the next vehicle time.

Great news guys! The RTL has finally joined the 20th century and has installed code d'arrêt on the bottom right hand corner of our bus stop flags. However, we haven't put into place anything online from what I can tell to figure out what time the bus will come to your stop. I don't know about our phone line either.

Customer service told me that people have even called them and given them the (Pattison) bus shelter number hoping that this was the bus stop code for the next vehicle time.

I've yet to see any bus stop codes on the signs, especially in Longueuil.