General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

On 9/16/2021 at 2:11 PM, blue.bird.fan said:

Why do SRT drivers still verbally announce stops? I was at McCowan today and there was a notice on the whiteboard advising operators to do this.

I've been wondering this also, everytime I've rode it the announcement plays and then the operator hops on and repeats the same thing. 

15 hours ago, Ultimate said:

I've been wondering this also, everytime I've rode it the announcement plays and then the operator hops on and repeats the same thing. 

Probably because some cars straight up don't announce it for some reason. I'd assume they would have figured out which cars don't by now but shrug. Could be wrong thop

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in the signal side of things, ATC is live up to Eglinton Station as of yesterday. The crossover at St Clair is also now fully signalized and usable as part of the ATC expansion.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Archer said:

For those interested in the signal side of things, ATC is live up to Eglinton Station as of yesterday. The crossover at St Clair is also now fully signalized and usable as part of the ATC expansion.

How many years behind is the project overall on Line 1, also considering they made huge strides during the pandemic being able to have many more closures.

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

How many years behind is the project overall on Line 1, also considering they made huge strides during the pandemic being able to have many more closures.

Last check, it was three years behind schedule and being over budget by over $100 million dollars. The current timeline is to convert the entire Line 1 by September 2022. Original timeline was to have it completed by the end of 2019.

Of course it is pretty complex having to run the old signal system while installing and testing out the new signalling system to ensure stability and reliability. Weekend closures being essential to ensure a reasonable amount of work is completed within the allotted time window. One day closure equals five weeks of work with nightly closures with a very small window to setup, make a bit of progress and clear up before trains start. 

That date looks like it is coinciding with Line's 5 opening.

Surprised I couldn't find any announcements on TTC for the ATC up to Eglinton Stn. Usually they love to advertise another milestone in this project.

55 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Last check, it was three years behind schedule and being over budget by over $100 million dollars. The current timeline is to convert the entire Line 1 by September 2022. Original timeline was to have it completed by the end of 2019.

Of course it is pretty complex having to run the old signal system while installing and testing out the new signalling system to ensure stability and reliability. Weekend closures being essential to ensure a reasonable amount of work is completed within the allotted time window. One day closure equals five weeks of work with nightly closures with a very small window to setup, make a bit of progress and clear up before trains start. 

Oh no doubt its complex. If they do finish it by 2022, I wonder how long it would have taken if they didnt do the extra closures during the pandemic. Aside from more weekend closures or early closures, they also shut down sections for two or three times for a week or longer, didnt they?

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

Oh no doubt its complex. If they do finish it by 2022, I wonder how long it would have taken if they didnt do the extra closures during the pandemic. Aside from more weekend closures or early closures, they also shut down sections for two or three times for a week or longer, didnt they?

I know they did shut down some sections for around a week. 

St. George to St. Andrew was replaced with shuttle buses for 10 days on several different occasions with shuttle buses operating with peak periods operating every minute. Due to tunnel maintenance and other work that requires trains not to operate.

Sheppard West to Wilson: Switch and track maintenance 

Finch to Sheppard-Yonge: Tunnel and signal upgrades

Never forget the time when there was a discussion years ago back in 2014 regarding how to address the track bed near Davisville Station which there were talks of a two month closure to address the issue. Before that proposal was scrapped because the bus replacement shuttle plan was unrealistic and not workable. Instead opting to work with a different solution which would take longer, but address the underlying issue. 

20 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

That date looks like it is coinciding with Line's 5 opening.

This is not a coincidence.

19 hours ago, MK78 said:

It would have opened at the same time. The final section is being done in coordination with the work going on for The Crosstown, and can't open until all of the work at Eglinton is done.

Dan

• Like 1

Man, this ATC is  buggy. Line 1 is on stop and stay cuz it all went down.

Haha, they have to reboot the ATC servers. 10-15 minutes. Yikes.

They've lost comms and positions of the trains.

Edit: So much for 10-15 minutes. It's still down 45 minutes later. Shuttles for the entire ATC section, ouch.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, smallspy said:

So was Alstom with the resignalling work, and look where that's gotten us.

Dan

I didn't realize that was who was doing the work on the TTC. 

In Edmonton, Alstom came in to supply a fixed block system to replace the Thales CBTC which was taking forever and not meeting specs (although it sounds like ETS kept moving the goalposts) 

25 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

In Edmonton, Alstom came in to supply a fixed block system to replace the Thales CBTC which was taking forever and not meeting specs (although it sounds like ETS kept moving the goalposts) 

Anecdotal, but a neighbor who’s a software engineer for Thales confirmed exactly that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

An acquaintance of mine was involved in that project as they were booting out Thales, and until Alstom took over. He investigated what options they had for what was installed - right down to ripping it all out and starting from scratch with a fixed-block system with wayside indications.

While he agrees that the Thales product is likely superior in terms of operations, he doesn't have much good to say about them otherwise. Goalpost moving was the least of their problems - it sounds like the project was headed by their marketing department, rather than engineering.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

it sounds like the project was headed by their marketing department, rather than engineering.

That's always a barrel of fun.  "We're committed to what?"  Cue the cringe-inducing memories of finding out about a new product when the marketing department publicly announced it complete with launch date, before any request to begin developing it came down.