General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

6 hours ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

I dunno. Can you tell Andy Byford to stop being such a [CENSORED]?

What the hell has Andy Byford done for him to deserve that title? He's doing quite fine as a CEO considering that he has to deal with BS funding from the city and province, whilst trying to keep his workers safe from the angered and aggressive public. Also, for all we know, Andy Byford might be entirely on board with subways because he doesn't want to have to maintain an entirely new type of rolling stock, but he has no choice but to accept what the public is going to give him. It's called compromise, and it is what allows democracy (and therefore society) to function. 

On 2016-11-25 at 2:00 PM, FlyerD901 said:

I figured I 

Kipling is expected to get an expanded tail track to store up to two extra trains. theres already a potential area under the bus bays for this, unless they changed their minds. That will be awareded soon.

Speaking of the west, will they ever expand the subway farther into Etobicoke? I know it was shelved until further notice, but it's still a high ridership area and rail infrastructure is getting more expensive as the years go on. 

Metrolinx is going further with their intermodal terminal at Kipling as well. It will definitely save some time in the long run for MiWay commuters. 

Also, are there any plans to utilize the other side of the bus terminal for other TTC buses? Or will this never happen because bus usage isn't justified...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Does anyone know how the operation of the crossover at King is working for the closure this weekend? I don't have time this weekend to actually go down and observe it.

Fully manual. As in track workers to move the switches by hand.

• Like 1

To add to the previous post:

All movements south of Queen are controlled manually by supervisors positioned on the platforms both at Queen and King, so that no more than one train is present south of Queen at any given time.

Only the southbound platform at King is being used during the closure. Two track workers are permanently present at track level to throw the switch manually.

For the detailed-oriented, 12 trains were used all day for service both on Saturday and Sunday on the Yonge side of the line, with an additional spare at Davisville. On the University-Spadina side, there are 12 trains used during daytime today (Sunday). Don't know how many were used yesterday (probably a couple more).

• Like 1

On 2017-04-02 at 3:51 PM, ttc rider said:

To add to the previous post:

All movements south of Queen are controlled manually by supervisors positioned on the platforms both at Queen and King, so that no more than one train is present south of Queen at any given time.

Only the southbound platform at King is being used during the closure. Two track workers are permanently present at track level to throw the switch manually.

For the detailed-oriented, 12 trains were used all day for service both on Saturday and Sunday on the Yonge side of the line, with an additional spare at Davisville. On the University-Spadina side, there are 12 trains used during daytime today (Sunday). Don't know how many were used yesterday (probably a couple more).

It was 12 and 12 on Saturday as well.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

only 26 cars getting repair.  I guess it is almost safe to say 3026-3027 is done. 

Are you sure about that? "An existing contract was initiated with Bombardier Transportation Canada Inc. to

develop and test a repair method for the problem corrosion holes. Two vehicles have

been repaired to date in order to validate the repair methods and determine a cost

estimate. Approval is being requested to amend this contract to repair the remaining 26

vehicles on a sole source basis." 2 vehicles have been fixed according to this part of the report.

• Like 2

On 2017-04-17 at 8:31 AM, Shaun said:

When they say shipping, do they mean to thunderbay? 

Wasn't Bombardier doing repairs to the Skytriain cars at Via TMC? Could repairs be done there?

The Toronto Star article (https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/04/18/scarborough-rt-vehicles-need-repairs-to-avoid-catastrophic-corrosion-failures.html) says Bombardier will perform the work in Kanona, NY.

Site Fact Sheet:

http://www.bombardier.com/content/dam/Websites/bombardiercom/Sites/supporting-documents/Bombardier-Transportation-SiteFactSheet-Kanona-US-en.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new signal tree was installed during one of the Spadina Line closures this year at St.Clair West. Not sure of its purpose as from what I understand there won't be wayside signals used with ATO. I'm guessing it has something to do with pulling into the NB plaform from the centre track.

IMG_1038.JPG

• Like 1

On 2017-05-01 at 2:47 AM, York Transit said:

Skip to 00:22 in the first video. 3016 and 3017 have been sounding different lately. Are these the two units that have received special treatment from Bombardier?

It's really loud in the second video.

Just now, Toronto123 said:

Was just scrolling by browsing and your post reminded me of the Montreal Metro.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:47 AM, York Transit said:

Skip to 00:22 in the first video. 3016 and 3017 have been sounding different lately. Are these the two units that have received special treatment from Bombardier?

It's really loud in the second video.

Sounds like a mix of the ICTS Mark I, the ART Mark II, and the SP1900 trains in Hong Kong.

An interesting note from the board meeting. They want to buy 3 prototypes 6-car permanent consist trains for B-D before a mass rollout once cash is available. Greenwood can't be used to store them and they are looking for a new west-end yard.

Also mention somewhere in the meeting with the CEO report and A/C on B-D, Keele yard would open next month. If anyone been there, the blockade is now opened and they are near completion with the renovations. Trains would also enter service at the beginning of the day from Keele.