General Subway/RT Discussion

34 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Ah yeah, so most likely just for maintenance. Yeah, crazy that it's been 10 years.

Even more crazy is some of the T1's are more than 25 years old. They sure don't feel like it.

Especially when they were looking at refurbishing the T1s if the funding for new rolling stock on Bloor-Danforth doesn't come through or if delays happen should the new order come through. Avoiding the repeat of the CLRVs/ALRVs failing needing to be substituted with buses along certain routes to ensure adequate capacity. 

Extending their lifespan by another 10 years for the T1s. 

I always feels strange when boarding a T1 subway on Bloor-Danforth because of the configuration. Sheppard and Yonge-University operating exclusively with Toronto Rocket trains. Sheppard was converted due to having to accommodate ATC when accessing Davisville on the Yonge side. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rode it today. Here's a photo I took at Kipling.

Why are you always arguing with industry experts? They work in their respective fields. I’m pretty sure they know what they’re talking about.  You make an armchair comment. Get the real deal on w

"Could Cause Catastrophic Damage if not addressed" This is the case with literally any engineering issue that arises. Steel corrodes, it needs to be maintained, absolutely nothing new here. 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, MK78 said:

Ah yeah, so most likely just for maintenance. Yeah, crazy that it's been 10 years.

Even more crazy is some of the T1's are more than 25 years old. They sure don't feel like it.

It shouldn't be for maintenance. With the exception of bodywork Wilson is now just about as capable as Greenwood is for heavy servicing when it comes to the TRs, and any major assemblies can be swapped out as needed there and sent off-site.

Unless the wheel lathe at Wilson is not working. In which case they would need to go to Greenwood for wheel turning. The T1 going the other way may just be for storage purposes, as there is little "spare space" at Greenwood.

Dan

On 1/26/2021 at 11:42 PM, MK78 said:

The two pilot cars were delivered to Davisville in July 1995, the six-car pilot train (5000-5005) was completed at the end of 1995. The first production cars were built in the summer of 1996 so the production fleet will start turning 25 later this year, while the last two production cars will hit 20 years in November. A couple of trains entered service in Oct-Nov 1996, but then they were all pulled in February 1997 due to door issues, and then the fleet returned to service in late May 1997.

As noted in another post the first TR pilot train (5391-96) just hit 10 years old, but the last trains will only be reaching five this year.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Shaun said:

Frankly they held up better than the H5 and H6 cars that they replaced. 

Yeah, the T1's still don't look & feel outdated like the H cars did. Maybe its just the wider doors and the brighter lights when they retrofitted them with the LED's.

I have noticed that there are trucks carrying polished wheel sets to Wilson yard. Are they taken offsite for maintenance? Do they swap the set with a spare and then send out the wheel set they took off for refurbishment?

On 1/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, MK78 said:

Yeah, the T1's still don't look & feel outdated like the H cars did. Maybe its just the wider doors and the brighter lights when they retrofitted them with the LED's.

The T1s didn't have any fake wood grain interior panels the way the H2-6 cars did which screamed 1970s-1980s.  The H2 and H4 cars' interior colours were totally 1970s too, so yes, they looked like and represented the eras they were built in.  The H5 and H6 with some wood grain below the beltrail and a nice cream above was a good balance, I think.

Of course, my favourites hands down were the Gloucesters but damn I'm getting old.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

The T1s didn't have any fake wood grain interior panels the way the H2-6 cars did which screamed 1970s-1980s.  The H2 and H4 cars' interior colours were totally 1970s too, so yes, they looked like and represented the eras they were built in.  The H5 and H6 with some wood grain below the beltrail and a nice cream above was a good balance, I think.

Of course, my favourites hands down were the Gloucesters but damn I'm getting old.

Yeah, that's probably why, the fake wood grain.

17 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yeah, that's probably why, the fake wood grain.

The Line 3 vehicles certainly look a lot better now, simply by replacing the old wooden panelling with neutral colours.

• Confused 1
22 minutes ago, nfitz said:

The Line 3 vehicles certainly look a lot better now, simply by replacing the old wooden panelling with neutral colours.

Yeah, the blue wrap helps too...

Too bad they are still as horrible to ride in as ever, noise & vibration being the major factor.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nfitz said:

My kids love it. They think it's a roller-coaster!

Haha! yeah, the Scarborough Wonderland!

My must use accessory for riding the SRT have been over the ear headphones.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, nfitz said:

As well as finally getting ‘wheelchair parking spots’ 

no more getting stuck in doorways!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MRD10 said:

The TTC has released its Business Case Board Report, regarding the SRT Life Extension. 

SRT Life Extension Project Options Analysis

Would be nice if you added maybe a little bit more context and all.

Staff are recommending that Line 3 be shut down and decommissioned in 2023, and replaced with a frequent bus shuttle to Kennedy Station until the Line 2 extension comes online, currently estimated to be in 2030.

The closure in 2023 would avoid the need for another costly refurbishment of the line's equipment; even then, parts are noted to be increasingly obsolete and difficult to source. Unlike previous proposals, it looks like staff are recommending extending multiple regular routes from Scarborough Centre to Kennedy, which will act as the "shuttle"; maps are in the back of the report. If the Board goes with staff's decision, there will be an additional 70 hybrid buses purchased to operate on these route extensions. Otherwise, there is a somewhat cheaper option proposed to simply run the bus extensions using the current fleet and a lower spare ratio, with additional bus purchases from 2027-29 to increase the spare ratio back to regular levels.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think they will probably need to put some artics on this SRT shuttle, and discontinue the use of the Lawrence east & Ellesmere stations as the stopping points for the shuttles.

I think one stop would suffice, it's Lawrence & Brimley. They would probably have to build a little bigger shelter there on both sides.

35 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I think they will probably need to put some artics on this SRT shuttle, and discontinue the use of the Lawrence east & Ellesmere stations as the stopping points for the shuttles.

I think one stop would suffice, it's Lawrence & Brimley. They would probably have to build a little bigger shelter there on both sides.

A shuttle service similar to current Line 3 shuttles for weekend closures is not what is being proposed. The report proposes to essentially run service similar to the 131/903 combo on 8 routes that currently terminate at STC, extending them to Kennedy Station. The combined service of all these routes between STC and Kennedy would run as frequent as every 48/49 seconds during AM/PM peak or 73/75 trips an hour. At that frequency, you can operate it with 40ft buses. However, some of the routes proposed to extend south to Kennedy currently operate or are proposed to operate with 60ft buses in the near future so there will be some artics mixed in there for sure.

The route alignment has not been decided yet but it is proposed that only Lawrence Ave East be served between STC and Kennedy. The number of people transferring there though will likely be reduced slightly however as they do propose altering some service on Lawrence Ave East to connect to Kennedy Station as well. I personally think that they might look to use maybe Midland or Kennedy as opposed to Brimley since the Line 2 extension work will result in lane reductions and delays along Eglinton between Danforth Rd and Kennedy. This is the main reason why the RapidTO lanes currently end at Brimley Rd instead of extending all the way to Kennedy.

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

It makes more sense to utilize Midland Avenue for the future shuttle corridor. Midland is the closest to Lawrence East & Ellesmere station, plus it is the current alignment for the Line 3 shuttle bus. 

Adding on, their isn't many "attractions" on Midland. What I mean by that is, there really aren't a lot of reasons why Midland would see significant traffic in comparison to Kennedy or Brimley. Bendale B.T.I has been demolished for over a year now, so there is even less ridership in comparison to a few years back. 

It also features a relatively nice stretch of uninterrupted road, meaning there aren't as many (major and minor) intersections, in comparison to other roads. That being said, it would wonderfully support a BRT-Lite if that is the decision chosen by the TTC.

Is one SRT car have the equivalent capacity of a hybrid bus? 

With 28 SRT cars would be 28 buses required at a 1 to 1 ratio. 

60 buses should be enough. It depends on how reliable or frequent the service would be.

I wonder if TTC could piggyback onto CTA's order for new El cars. If there is a problem with the signals they could also install a new system when the RT is closed for the night. 

3 hours ago, MRD10 said:

It makes more sense to utilize Midland Avenue for the future shuttle corridor. Midland is the closest to Lawrence East & Ellesmere station, plus it is the current alignment for the Line 3 shuttle bus. 

Yeah, Midland would make more sense, and if the SRT is shut down, they could remove the track under the bridge, and have a service road go out under and bypass whats gonna be a mess of construction, and directly onto midland.

Here's a super wild thought. I'm just throwing this out there.

Since the Ontario Line has a high chance of using Mark IIIs, can't they close the RT for a year or so and upgrade the curve going into Kennedy Stn plus the signal system on the entire RT line so it can accommodate them. Use the Mark IIIs for 5 years or so then manually transfer them to the Ontario Line. The trains will not be wasted. You would only waste money on the signal system upgrade but the construction at the tracks leading into Kennedy Stn. They would only need to order two dozens or so vehicles before the remaining order comes in half a decade later.

1 hour ago, Tom1122 said:

I wonder if TTC could piggyback onto CTA's order for new El cars. If there is a problem with the signals they could also install a new system when the RT is closed for the night. 

25 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Here's a super wild thought. I'm just throwing this out there.

Since the Ontario Line has a high chance of using Mark IIIs, can't they close the RT for a year or so and upgrade the curve going into Kennedy Stn plus the signal system on the entire RT line so it can accommodate them. Use the Mark IIIs for 5 years or so then manually transfer them to the Ontario Line. The trains will not be wasted. You would only waste money on the signal system upgrade but the construction at the tracks leading into Kennedy Stn. They would only need to order two dozens or so vehicles before the remaining order comes in half a decade later.

E56805D4-58E2-42AA-9C6D-C784AEEE15B5.thumb.jpeg.74dcd1c34c868a09e8687bddec3d5db8.jpeg

• Haha 7
44 minutes ago, FredMaple said:

Will it be better if TTC just demolishes the rails of Line 3 and let the buses running on the existing infrastructure as BRT?

That’s not the absolute craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but is only remotely (capital R)possible up to ellesmere.

more cost effective to break out the red paint and “rapidTO”™️ Up Midland or Brimley or something.

This is going to be a kick in the 🥜any way you approach it. Everyone will just have to accept it.

• Like 2