Jump to content

Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

FlyerD901

General Subway/RT Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

I’ve seen a few reddit posts about these new maps on Line 2. Never seen them in person, does anyone know if this is a pilot/test project or something permanent ? I heard they’re rolling these out to complement the Subway/Streetcar maps that feature the entire system. 

Personally I hate this new line map. You have no idea how it connects to line 1. Since most tourist and occasional riders are usually heading downtown on Line 1, they can't see those stops anymore. They should have included the downtown U for easy navigation.

This map replaced the system map in their usual location. The system map is sometimes found in one of the 4 corners. Otherwise, you can walk around to try to find one. Those location are usually block by people in crowded trains. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird, weren't the maps just updated recently, like after the opening of the spadina line extension?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Personally I hate this new line map. You have no idea how it connects to line 1. Since most tourist and occasional riders are usually heading downtown on Line 1, they can't see those stops anymore. They should have included the downtown U for easy navigation.

This map replaced the system map in their usual location. The system map is sometimes found in one of the 4 corners. Otherwise, you can walk around to try to find one. Those location are usually block by people in crowded trains. 

Yeah I agree with you.

I wouldn’t criticize if they put that map on the first and third door of the car, while keeping the existing whole network map on the second and fourth door. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

I wouldn’t criticize if they put that map on the first and third door of the car, while keeping the existing whole network map on the second and fourth door. 

Or simply have the two separate maps above each facing door set. that way you can either look one way to see the Line 2 map, and look the other way for the full system map, and have this alternate across the other doors.

F---S---F---S

S---F---S---F

F=Full Map

S=Simple Line 2

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Personally I hate this new line map. You have no idea how it connects to line 1. Since most tourist and occasional riders are usually heading downtown on Line 1, they can't see those stops anymore. They should have included the downtown U for easy navigation.

This map replaced the system map in their usual location. The system map is sometimes found in one of the 4 corners. Otherwise, you can walk around to try to find one. Those location are usually block by people in crowded trains. 

Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (then again it looks like it worsened). The TTC really has money to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MK78 said:

Or simply have the two separate maps above each facing door set. that way you can either look one way to see the Line 2 map, and look the other way for the full system map, and have this alternate across the other doors.

F---S---F---S

S---F---S---F

F=Full Map

S=Simple Line 2

That’s not a bad idea. I’m not against the new maps as long as the connection to other lines is made clear, which I’d say is not the case here. I wish these new maps could at least feature portions of the other lines so that it could say “Line 1 Northbound to finch” or “Line 1 Southbound to Union” as opposed to just the line 1 symbol. 

Mane just a general question, every time a station becomes accessible, does the TTC print out all new maps just with the accessible logo added to one more station ? For example this map shows Royal York as not being accessible. When it does become accessible in the near future how long does it take for that to reflect on the maps ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MK78 said:

Weird, weren't the maps just updated recently, like after the opening of the spadina line extension?

Spadina line extension opened in 2017!

They normally replace then every year or two, with the various accessible stations opening, etc.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Spadina line extension opened in 2017!

They normally replace then every year or two, with the various accessible stations opening, etc.

Yeah it did, but it took a while for the trains to be updated, i know i remember seeing maps with the extension marked as "opening soon" 6+ months after it opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any of you guys remember the sticker with Downsview on it that they stuck on all the maps when that station opened in 1996?  I'm kind of surprised the TTC didn't revisit that idea when the subway got extended again to get by quickly and easily on the T1s until new maps were put out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wayside Observer said:

Do any of you guys remember the sticker with Downsview on it that they stuck on all the maps when that station opened in 1996?  I'm kind of surprised the TTC didn't revisit that idea when the subway got extended again to get by quickly and easily on the T1s until new maps were put out.

Yes I’m surprised they actually put new maps for “Sheppard West” then new ones months later for the extension. On another note, I think there’s still maps on the Bloor-Danforth platform of Kennedy station without the extension and still with Downsview on them. At least up until a few months ago I know for sure they’re still up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MK78 said:

Weird, weren't the maps just updated recently, like after the opening of the spadina line extension?

They were just recently updated with the 900 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (then again it looks like it worsened). The TTC really has money to spend.

I understand that when lines 5 and 6 opens, the map will get crowded. But they could have drawn the lines, omit all the stations and include only the interchange stations. It's like the surface route map. All they think about is transfer routes, nothing else matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 7:56 AM, CLRV4002 said:

I’ve seen a few reddit posts about these new maps on Line 2. Never seen them in person, does anyone know if this is a pilot/test project or something permanent ? I heard they’re rolling these out to complement the Subway/Streetcar maps that feature the entire system. 

The strip make makes sense if used in conjunction with the subway/streetcar map which should fit in the space beside the doors usually reserved for ads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gil said:

The strip make makes sense if used in conjunction with the subway/streetcar map which should fit in the space beside the doors usually reserved for ads.

It isn't though - I saw it this morning, and there were no maps anywhere - not in my car at least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nfitz said:

It isn't though - I saw it this morning, and there were no maps anywhere - not in my car at least!

It's clearly their long term plan to use it in conjunction with the subway/streetcar map. However, as we can see, its just poor execution (as per usual with the TTC)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lip said:

It's clearly their long term plan to use it in conjunction with the subway/streetcar map. However, as we can see, its just poor execution (as per usual with the TTC)

It would also help if the full maps weren't covered by ads after a couple weeks, no idea why the hell the TTC is doing that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, Gil said:

The strip make makes sense if used in conjunction with the subway/streetcar map which should fit in the space beside the doors usually reserved for ads.

Well, at least you won't be seeing any T1 cars anywhere other than line 2. And as for line 1, wait till we see the TTC try out LCD screens like they have in Asia...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 10:49 PM, meltingtomato said:

It would be a bit odd, no? Especially as it's halfway through the board period.

Though I'm quoting myself, Royal York Station has indeed reopened, but with the existing interlined schedule (76A still becomes a 73C). Never got an answer last time, so here it is. I imagine it will return to pre-2017 schedule come June board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there long term delays on Line 1 between Finch and Bloor? The train did not hit full speed once, and crawled along all the way to Bloor. Does this have to due with the Sleeper replacement at Rosedale?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a thread for subway delays? If not, I guess this is a good a place as any:

I was in Toronto on the Victoria Day weekend, as I usually am. I was on a subway train that was climbing the grade into Warden when power went out. My train did not have enough momentum to make the Warden platform, and stalled on the grade for about 20 minutes. There were several announcements about a trespasser on the tracks between Victoria Park and Kennedy, forcing a power cut in that entire zone. I was in the first car of the train.  I saw someone on the Warden platform, where a westbound train was stopped, using a big searchlight. There was no panic among the other passengers in that car, nor any attempts to force a door. I could not speak for the other cars, nor could the operator of the train, to whom I spoke when we reached Kennedy and he came out of his cab. Though I did not see any TTC employees during the delay, and had no word other than the announcements, I felt those involved handled a dangerous situation as best they could. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the June CEO report, for April 2019 the MDBF of the TR trains declined quite significantly and for that month was around half the MDBF of the T1 trains 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

Looking at the June CEO report, for April 2019 the MDBF of the TR trains declined quite significantly and for that month was around half the MDBF of the T1 trains 

Ouch.  Reading the applicable pages of the report, it sounds like the previous month the TR fleet got clobbered with a bunch of door problems.  The door control units sound like they all of a sudden became a barrel of fun along with disintegrating door rollers that sound like they may not be lasting as long as originally planned for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if their inspection people are trigger happy with the petroleum based spray bombs like they are on the bus end. It caused as many problems as it solves on synthetic materials. I’ll bet those rollers are Delrin  or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

I wonder if their inspection people are trigger happy with the petroleum based spray bombs like they are on the bus end. It caused as many problems as it solves on synthetic materials. I’ll bet those rollers are Delrin  or something.

I wonder.  The number of seals, grommets, gaskets, idler wheels, pinch rollers, belts, you name it that I've seen rotted out on stuff I work on because some shmuck has been careless with lubricants getting on rubber parts has been a nightmare.  One of the cars at Rockhill Trolley Museum's going to need seals replaced sooner than if they hadn't used grease on rubber parts a few years ago.  Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...