Jump to content

General Subway/RT Discussion


FlyerD901
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone know why this year TTC started doing a lot of weeknight early closures on Line 1 for ATC whereas last year was mostly weekend closures?

Was it public complaints that weekend no subway was more disruptive than early closure on weeknights?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Anyone know why this year TTC started doing a lot of weeknight early closures on Line 1 for ATC whereas last year was mostly weekend closures?

Was it public complaints that weekend no subway was more disruptive than early closure on weeknights?

They have to do something - the installation of the ATO/ATC systems have fallen behind.

 

This seems to be their solution to resolving it.

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

I just read Steve's huge essay on the subways. Where are they looking at for the Richmond Hill Line 1 yard and the Kipling Line 2 yard?

Are they both within the Hydro corridor as I don't see any other places with a huge empty field.

 

Check the EAs for the North Yonge extension - the storage facility north of Highway 7 would be along the ROW of the paralleling CN tracks, and would be useful for an extension of the line north to 16th Ave.

 

As for the Kipling Yard, the rumours are that TTC/City of Toronto is trying to purchase the CP's former Obico Yard, which is immediately south of Kipling Station.

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

How are they going to build an underground storage and maintenance facility for 14 trains? 

There are houses and office buildings there already.  

Maybe take over the home depot parking lot and build it above ground?

There are plans on the project website somewhere. It's just extended tail tracks. They'd build it cut-and-cover so it would be three tracks wide, along much of the future alignment between Richmond Hill Station and 16th Avenue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Better known as poor planning on York Region's part. Its like they want a subway but don't plan for the infrastructure needed for it. 905ers want a subway to highway 7 but expect Toronto to build all the infrastructure in Toronto for it. That empty piece of land on High tech and Red Maple would be great for a subway yard but its being used for condos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, that's the March 22 letter, that stated the 3-station Line 2 extension would terminate at Scarborough Centre.

Only 4 days later the province changed their mind on this, and now it extends north of Scarborough Centre. So that letter is clearly meaningless and/or written by someone who knows nothing about transit in Toronto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Looking at the wiki (both the regular and cptdb wiki), it seems the width and height of the T1s are a bit bigger than the TRs. Is this correct? The TRs are ~0.5m narrower and lower than the T1s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Rocket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_series_(Toronto_subway)

There’s no way in hell that’s accurate. Platform interface dictates that they must be identical.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

There's a typo on the Bombardier datasheets that everyone keeps repeating without actually looking at the measurements - a very, very quick glance would recognize that the metric and imperial measurements don't match. The width of every TTC subway has been 10 feet and almost 4 inches wide, and the height is just shy of 12 feet off of the top of the rail. These are the maximum dynamic dimensions capable within the TTC's subway system.


Dan

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Looking at the wiki (both the regular and cptdb wiki), it seems the width and height of the T1s are a bit bigger than the TRs. Is this correct? The TRs are ~0.5m narrower and lower than the T1s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Rocket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_series_(Toronto_subway)

The TR is clearly wrong - that's about the width of a streetcar! Looking at the article edit history, it's the 18th edit that user has made in 15 years.  I've reverted it.

This is why one can't rely on stuff like Wikipedia. It's a great resource, but it's prone to having very wrong information, with nothing to flag very poor edits which might look okay on the surface, but are completely false (whether done in good faith or otherwise).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, nfitz said:

The TR is clearly wrong - that's about the width of a streetcar! Looking at the article edit history, it's the 18th edit that user has made in 15 years.  I've reverted it.

This is why one can't rely on stuff like Wikipedia. It's a great resource, but it's prone to having very wrong information, with nothing to flag very poor edits which might look okay on the surface, but are completely false (whether done in good faith or otherwise).

Like I wrote above - the issue is that the Bombardier spec sheet itself is wrong. It lists the correct width in imperial, but the metric one is very clearly incorrect - and the one that people keep repeating on Wikipedia. If anyone were to do the merest second's glance at both numbers in order to copy and paste it to something like Wikipedia they wouldn't catch it, but if they were to actually ready both they should be able to see it pretty quickly. It's a very obvious and glaring error, especially when compared to the numbers immediately below it which are all correct.

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

During my commute to work today, I started noticing the yellow transponders that were to be installed between the rails - "balises", as they're called - beside the tracks from Rosedale towards Dundas (where they had been installed for at least the past couple of weeks). Although I couldn't get a shot, I could tell the track up to College just had their "balises" installed over the last few weeknight early closures, because the surface of those have barely been covered with the dirt beneath the trains.

2vPkxchl7S29obAIKkaWyWzrHrZpMdpC6ZAs_s5JFekaSkUBPjH-VirLSPFP3OPSiYK7rWzeO1k82HLX8VjhqciYfhPlxqFaeWE7AbnCITufhcIKHYqZSw3TSUqh_AUZ4o1UeRLdJ1xIrM0kP4erI8aG1KmUvabvY8Mag5p5IHt4UaQ0zj65PPq2dKLOjCMPNRp8IdkLeUrKNlzTcN_gA75DugGHldoLHyd7YEMi0Vp_nYqW8V-LY7_5qytZuU6e_bsxlJ2UciLhInV_mKunRZtO0e1uTpTBmixPfKIYdw2NoDGJuxoDuBYD9Mbz39WMYdYN5B6RST7OtsaamX4qBX5np7MocVxcoYsfSZgf6DxRLnktqyZZc50Ar1n5vb7q9bxljCIi4_8TlGJ9B8rmuCbDlJ72SmipXFkYvGqTqtbyuId3xGthqyuL0bH7Qb5SCo7ghlQmeK4XBik3KaqcZLaFt2uj4lUiE4JjgYyx3z-1tYSVRSK5mk9tY-qzW7CY7Y2McIM4IgYCF1dabO-qv3hsRNl9ypGOGElFsBiF_McDG_wgAeCmQwz8p_QxVo4Al4k2d71fKTBEw-lk9c6_RyJqCm3kxcUMi99kyOQLqZ2FDy9TyVHfBWJPdu4MlGDsrMT7BUv9tApjT7E8sUTzJct1tLI-t2WG=w1108-h623-no

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Transit geek said:

During my commute to work today, I started noticing the yellow transponders that were to be installed between the rails - "balises", as they're called - beside the tracks from Rosedale towards Dundas (where they had been installed for at least the past couple of weeks). Although I couldn't get a shot, I could tell the track up to College just had their "balises" installed over the last few weeknight early closures, because the surface of those have barely been covered with the dirt beneath the trains.

I guess you hadn't noticed those same beacons installed all the way up to VMC, eh?


Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 9:30 AM, smallspy said:

I guess you hadn't noticed those same beacons installed all the way up to VMC, eh?


Dan

Indeed, they are needed to locate the trains on the tracks. With a much higher density in stations for more granular locations. As you said they have been on the TYSSE from Day one.

Did a Station Tour of Rosedale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yiR2L73lRw

Enjoy :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the replies Steve Munro got from the TTC in his latest post, there is some information about the T1 overhaul, which the TTC will begin to assess this year. It also has been confirmed that the SSE will not be built with ATC signalling equipped, but with conventional block signalling. It sounds like we are many many years away from ATC on the Bloor-Danforth line. If the TTC activates ATC on the line in the late 2020s or early 2030s, it remains a mystery as to whether or not the T1s will be retrofitted for that 

57430D84-7917-480B-8852-42FFB0421C61.jpeg

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2019 at 10:46 PM, CLRV4002 said:

According to the replies Steve Munro got from the TTC in his latest post, there is some information about the T1 overhaul, which the TTC will begin to assess this year. It also has been confirmed that the SSE will not be built with ATC signalling equipped, but with conventional block signalling. It sounds like we are many many years away from ATC on the Bloor-Danforth line. If the TTC activates ATC on the line in the late 2020s or early 2030s, it remains a mystery as to whether or not the T1s will be retrofitted for that 

57430D84-7917-480B-8852-42FFB0421C61.jpeg

Hurray for snail pace infrastructure development! Still stuck in the glory days of the 80s I see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ber said:

Hurray for snail pace infrastructure development! Still stuck in the glory days of the 80s I see!

The glory days of the 1980s?  Three subway stops and the basketcase Scarborough RT.  Some glory days those were.  At least it wasn't the massacre of the mid 1990s.  Plus it was cool watching out the front window as your train inched through the shell of the station at North York Centre as it was being built.  Seeing this ghost station lit up with strings of construction lights as if you were rolling slowly through an abandonment was pretty wild.  But other than that, everything that was good in the 1980s was holdovers from previous decades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guess no PSDs are coming to the new Scarborough Centre for now. I was on the UPX a few days ago and my train overran the doors at Union only by a few centimeters, but that was enough to force the train to reverse that small distance in order to align with the doors and allow them to operate. Imagine if TTC operators have to do that every time they pull in to STC and waste 15-30 seconds of commuters' time.

At least the TTC doesn't have to pay the price to install and maintain the doors - but who knows, maybe they could build gaps between the tracks for people who get pushed to fall under and avoid getting run over.

Image result for suicide pits

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...