General Subway/RT Discussion

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rode it today. Here's a photo I took at Kipling.

Why are you always arguing with industry experts? They work in their respective fields. I’m pretty sure they know what they’re talking about.  You make an armchair comment. Get the real deal on w

The new signalling system also has a limited capability to allow trains that are not ATO equipped to operate over it. Much like the old signal system, it has blocks which are delineated by signals. Th

Posted Images

17 hours ago, TTCBusfan21 said:

When will they replace the RT with line 2?

During the recent consultation for the Lawrence East Smartrack, they noted they'd altered their plans, as they didn't expect the SRT station to close until sometime after the SmartTrack opened. I can't find the SmartTrack date in the presentation, but I think it was 2024. Though they do explicitly say 2026 to close the RT. Presumably this only gets later than 2026 as time progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Is the Bombardier TR rolling stock ever used on line 2? On any regular basis or occasionally? I ask because I noticed the LED route map looks like it is set up to accommodate line 2 operation, but I've never seen a TR on line 2.

I am fairly new to Toronto.

Thanks.

40 minutes ago, JeremyA said:

Question: Is the Bombardier TR rolling stock ever used on line 2? On any regular basis or occasionally? I ask because I noticed the LED route map looks like it is set up to accommodate line 2 operation, but I've never seen a TR on line 2.

Thanks.

In the summer of 2016, a couple TR sets were used on line 2, because of the T1 AC getting fixed.

54 minutes ago, JeremyA said:

Thanks.

There are LED’s under every station on the map, if a TR is on Line 2(which has happened as mentioned above) it needs to show the connection line stations at Kennedy for Line 3.

someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there already LED’s for Eglinton once that line is in place?

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

There are LED’s under every station on the map, if a TR is on Line 2(which has happened as mentioned above) it needs to show the connection line stations at Kennedy for Line 3.

someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there already LED’s for Eglinton once that line is in place?

There are no LEDs for Eglinton

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JeremyA said:

OK, thanks for the answers. I just find that kind of fascinating, that those LEDs are there yet almost never get illuminated except for this extremely rare occasion of TRs being used on line 2.

Well the Line 2 LEDs flash every time the train passes through Saint George, Spadina, or Bloor-Yonge to show the connection - however the line 3 LEDs would only be needed if the TR train was on line 2.

16 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

In the summer of 2016, a couple TR sets were used on line 2, because of the T1 AC getting fixed.

It's happened way more times than that. A TR took a trip on the B-D just last week, in fact.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, smallspy said:

It's happened way more times than that. A TR took a trip on the B-D just last week, in fact.

Dan

Every time there’s a major incident on line 2 especially in during peak hours, they will send a couple of trains from line 1 onto line 2 to cover service.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, JeremyA said:

OK, thanks for the answers. I just find that kind of fascinating, that those LEDs are there yet almost never get illuminated except for this extremely rare occasion of TRs being used on line 2.

On the topic of LED lights on the TR sets, it should also be mentioned that the 4-car sets for the Sheppard line are equipped with the same LED panels as the rest of the fleet, but on those trainsets, the LEDs associated with lines 2 Bloor-Danforth and 3 SRT can only be illuminated for demo/testing purposes, and never in regular service since they are confined to the Sheppard line, which only connects with Line 1 YUS.

On 7/11/2018 at 8:13 PM, TTCBusfan21 said:

When will they replace the RT with line 2?

The current issue regarding the completion date is how serious Doug is about adding back the stations that were cut from the extension. Until that is clarified, all completion dates are guesses at best.

Has anyone noticed an unusually large amount of TR's lately with weak A/C? It seems like only one unit of the car is running., and the difference is very apparent walking into the next car. Obviously not even close to the T1 oven roast of 2016, but I'm curious if it's a systemic problem or I just happen to randomly find the few cars with this issue.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:17 PM, skyfirenet said:

The current issue regarding the completion date is how serious Doug is about adding back the stations that were cut from the extension. Until that is clarified, all completion dates are guesses at best.

Unless Doug also rewrites AODA, if Line 2 extension slips then that leaves Kennedy and Scarborough Centre as the only accessible SRT stations. But it won't slip. Oh no.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

My family from Caledon is planning a trip to the the ROM on a weekend in the next week or so.  There appears to be no parking provided at VMC - is 407 or Pioneer Village a good option?  Thanks

Park at 407 stn as it's TTC owned so parking is cheaper than at VMC which charges you a premium since Smart Centre owns it.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, 6254 said:

Did anyone notice some middle SRT cars (3019, 3021 etc) don't have the AC turned on this year? All the lead cars are fine.

In addition to the above, 3009, 3012 and 3014 don't have functioning A/C, As the weather is getting cooler, I think the problem can be deferred to the next summer season.

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2018 at 10:21 PM, ttc rider said:

Midday storage of four trains at Vincent began this week with the new board period. It is a temporary arrangement to reduce the number of daytime movements to and from Greenwood yard during construction (actually, with the summer service cuts now in place, no trains pull out at all from Greenwood for the PM peak).

And yes, four trains are being stored at Vincent every night. This has been in place since the June 2017 board period.

Quoting an older post, but the practice of storing trains midday seems to have stopped recently. I haven't seen any trains in there, including yesterday around 1:30 PM when I went by.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Quoting an older post, but the practice of storing trains midday seems to have stopped recently. I haven't seen any trains in there, including yesterday around 1:30 PM when I went by.

I'm pretty sure that they stopped storing trains there in the middle of the day in September. It was just while the work was going on in Greenwood Yard.

Dan

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

new lighting installed on the eastbound platform at runnymede. They were there yesterday but not turned on, but today they are on.

i will try to get a better pic later.

20181214_075810.jpg

so i went back to runnymede tonight, they now put green paint tape over the lights, making them look green. Not sure why they would do this, but it certainly looks cool. Quite a few people taking pictures.

The regular roof lights were removed in the area that these lights were in, so thats probably why they were installed. 

20181214_151949.jpg