FlyerD901

General Subway/RT Discussion

On 12/8/2017 at 9:44 AM, Turtle said:

Now operating under CBTC, the trains go 25km/h crossing over, and hit 60km/h on the northbound Sheppard West platform. VMC is the same, full speed on platform 2, and 25km/h on platform 1 with empty tail tracks.

Has this changed at all? (I have made it up the extension exactly once, so I have no idea.)

I'm going by this comment on Steve Munro's blog:

I remember during the first week of operations for the extension, that trains were operating much faster over the crossovers at VMC and the trains were cycling through the terminal a fair rate. But nowadays it seems that trains are travelling over the crossovers at a much slower speed and there is a back up of trains approaching VMC during the afternoon rush. Do you have any knowledge whether they have imposed a slower travel speed over these brand new crossovers? Even in general, it seems trains have slowed down on the new extension; not travelling at full speed or at the speed during the first week of operations.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Has this changed at all? (I have made it up the extension exactly once, so I have no idea.)

I'm going by this comment on Steve Munro's blog:

No, it hasn't changed. About 57km/h into Sheppard West NB, 25km/h into VMC #1, and 45km/h or so into VMC #2. The difference now is we are getting bunching at VMC, and they are slowing some trains down a little between stations to try and maintain headways correctly, which is the way that it is supposed to work. The only time you get the trains not doing normal speed into VMC is when the tail tracks are occupied or when the operators are forced to operate the train into the station instead of having ATC do it. It's pretty slow and rough when the tails are occupied.

Too many trains trying to get all the way to VMC. Run ins to Wilson Yard slowing things down. Just a normal day on the Toronto Subway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

To run into Wilson, dont they have the extra track from downsview? How does that slow down trains going north to VMC.

Well, considering they don't run in from Downsview, but from Wilson NB...

Does anyone know what's going on with the side window electronic displays on the T1's on the BD? I don't think I've seen a car without them for months, yet they are never on.

Will they just be saying the final destination, ie Kipling or Kennedy, or will they display some other info?

22 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Does anyone know what's going on with the side window electronic displays on the T1's on the BD? I don't think I've seen a car without them for months, yet they are never on.

Will they just be saying the final destination, ie Kipling or Kennedy, or will they display some other info?

There is a separate page for this exact topic

5 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

There is a separate page for this exact topic

Well i'm still fairly new here, so a link would be helpful.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yes final destination.  I think i also display which line the train is currently on.

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yes final destination.  I think i also display which line the train is currently on.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Wonder how long before it goes live...

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

Indeed, they aren't supposed to be used until they are modified. And there's been no sign of that happening as yet.

Dan

I heard they were all supposed to be activated when the TYSSE opens.. Obviously that didn't happen

12 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

What needs to be modified on them?

The TTC, in all of its infinite wisdom, designed them to be activated with a 4-position rotary switch. This can lead to situations where the side signs can display incorrect information, and thus make them non-compliant with the AODA.

The TTC is getting Bombardier to redesign the interface of the system to tie in with the existing destination signs on the ends of the TRs so that those ones will work and be compliant, but I don't know what they plan to do for the T1s.

11 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

I heard they were all supposed to be activated when the TYSSE opens.. Obviously that didn't happen

You heard wrong. The problem of their design has been around for much longer than that.

Dan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smallspy said:

The TTC, in all of its infinite wisdom, designed them to be activated with a 4-position rotary switch. This can lead to situations where the side signs can display incorrect information, and thus make them non-compliant with the AODA.

So is that how these kinda things happened?20170718_135100.thumb.jpg.62ea72a07d05bfc8eb081ee358017e2c.jpg

5 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Have the subway drivers change the sign manually like the bus.

There is no interface to change them like that currently.

Does anyone have a copy of the schematics of the UTDC Mark I vehicle that they can post?  

The TTC had it in a pamphlet in the late 1980s.  I cannot find mine at the moment, but would like to use it as a reference for a drawing.

19 hours ago, 88A said:

Does anyone have a copy of the schematics of the UTDC Mark I vehicle that they can post?  

The TTC had it in a pamphlet in the late 1980s.  I cannot find mine at the moment, but would like to use it as a reference for a drawing.

I have a PDF on here: http://barp.ca/builders/index.html

• Thanks 1

When I saw this in my emails I just went "OMG".

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/3836a22b-b316-4ee0-85b4-367376887164

It apparently has TTC's (unofficial) blessing:

Upon showing my completed set design for the Toronto Rocket set to the management at the TTC, I received a full endorsement to submit my Toronto Rocket Set Design to LEGO Ideas, with a promise to help spread the word about the voting via social media to the 13,000+ TTC employees and hundreds of thousands of daily TTC customers.

* I have my doubts if this project can actually takes off, mainly because Lego lately have been limiting their piece counts to <2000 and this is too big at 2910. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Buurin said:

* I have my doubts if this project can actually takes off, mainly because Lego lately have been limiting their piece counts to <2000 and this is too big at 2910. 

What makes you think that they've been limiting the piece count?  There are lots and lots of sets that are well over 2000 pieces that are available now.

Dan

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎13 at 6:35 PM, Buurin said:

When I saw this in my emails I just went "OMG".

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/3836a22b-b316-4ee0-85b4-367376887164

It apparently has TTC's (unofficial) blessing:

That front end design looks really flat, though, and it is hard to recreate the slightly-angled design of the TRs. You know what this could look oddly more like (if not for colours)?

See the source image