FlyerD901

General Subway/RT Discussion

37 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Is this permanent, or some bizarre advertising campaign that's coming?

i think they installed them because of the regular lights being removed in that area.

why they put green tape over them, i have no idea.

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Who here knows what this thing is?  

Looks like it could be a turnstile or a pull-handle for a cart of sorts.

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Here's a pop quiz for Saturday afternoon. Who here knows what this thing is?  The thing on the right. The mischief cretin on the left is clearly my cat.

IMG_4327.JPG

Since it's in this thread, my guess is an old switch iron/manual switch crank of some sort

3 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Since it's in this thread, my guess is an old switch iron/manual switch crank of some sort

It looks similar to one, but that’s not it.

My age disqualifies me from answering.... would kill all the fun.

8 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Here's a pop quiz for Saturday afternoon. Who here knows what this thing is?  The thing on the right. The mischief cretin on the left is clearly my cat.

IMG_4327.JPG

Overhead grab bar from a Gloucester car ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TTC_1203 said:

Overhead grab bar from a Gloucester car ;)

And we have a winner!

That is what you'd be holding on to if you were standing in a Gloucester during rush hour.

IMG_4328.JPG

• Like 1

I would like to revive this dormant thread by bringing up an observation that hopefully nobody on CPTDB has brought up already.

Whenever a train departing Finch is destined to short turn at Glencairn, every so often the passenger info systems would be messed up, as seen below:

image.thumb.png.3f803cba9dd623f75da20a057425ea82.pngimage.thumb.png.a7d906368b0847bba0dee3e7302be3f4.png

I discovered it was the responsibility of the staff to reset the system before they started misleading passengers further. To that extent, perhaps someone might have some insight on the root cause of this defect and explain how it could be rectified.

Has anyone noticed after all this cold/stormy/icy weather the past couple weeks, that there are lot of trains (at least on Line 2) with severe flat spots on the wheels? Lots of vibration/noise.

Are these things caused more by slipping during braking, or more during acceleration while on the open cuts?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Has anyone noticed after all this cold/stormy/icy weather the past couple weeks, that there are lot of trains (at least on Line 2) with severe flat spots on the wheels? Lots of vibration/noise.

Are these things caused more by slipping during braking, or more during acceleration while on the open cuts?

Slipping during breaking

12 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Slipping during breaking

No wonder trains were going so slowly near Davisville on line 1. I have some footage to confirm that TRs have (as they call them in Singapore) "flatwheels" but I'm sure nobody on this forum needs audible proof to confirm.

4 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Quick question:

What is the purpose of wires on the RT tracks next to the magnetic plate?

image0.png

Senses train location for the automatic control/cab signaling.

39 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Senses train location for the automatic control/cab signaling.

They're also the antenna system that carries communication to and from the train to provide speed and control codes.  It's interesting how it's done too.  It isn't two separate circuits down each side of the reaction plate, it's one set up in loops that alternate direction to provide common mode interference rejection.  If anyone was wondering why having monster sized linear induction motors right on top of the antenna system wasn't saturating it with induced energy and interfering with things, that's how they solved that problem...

21 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

They're also the antenna system that carries communication to and from the train to provide speed and control codes.  It's interesting how it's done too.  It isn't two separate circuits down each side of the reaction plate, it's one set up in loops that alternate direction to provide common mode interference rejection.  If anyone was wondering why having monster sized linear induction motors right on top of the antenna system wasn't saturating it with induced energy and interfering with things, that's how they solved that problem...

Yeah I should’ve added delivers instructions to the car’s VOBC too...Actually, I did wonder how they got a way with antennas immediately against a huge honking interference source. So it seems analogous to the cross braiding of the multiplex comm loop circuit wires, and Hall effect powertrain sensor circuits, etc.

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

Actually, I did wonder how they got a way with antennas immediately against a huge honking interference source. So it seems analogous to the cross braiding of the multiplex comm loop circuit wires, and Hall effect powertrain sensor circuits.

Yes, you've got it exactly!

Braiding or twisting the wires causes external interference to cancel itself out.  In a perfect world, the interference would cancel itself out completely with a perfect null but in practice, the braid/twists knocks it down severely but not completely.  This is also what you'd do if you weren't using coax cable and had no shield to ground to get rid of interference.  It's rare to see twisted pair for instrumentation leads now.  The last time I did was at a company whose main line of business was making solenoids and they'd built some of their own test and instrumentation equipment in house and there was twisted leads going from one part of this machine that measured force over the course of the full range of a given solenoid's travel to another where a chart recorder had been installed.  Normally you'd see coax in this kind of application but they used a pair of stranded wires twisted tightly together.  I really need to send the gentleman who owned the company an email - on my to do list for later tonight or tomorrow morning.

• Thanks 1

Smrt....I mean smart. 

Actually, the (J1939) multiplex harness is twisted pairs and a grounded foil shield, so it’s a 3 pin plug (Deutch on the Novas, cannon on the Orions)

Hopefully the foil shield's grounded!  I've run into surprises where cables have been wired to the connectors at each end incorrectly and the shield was being used to carry one side of a signal circuit and they were inexplicably susceptible to picking up noise...junior technicians...made in China...the usual...what are you going to do...

If I remember correctly, each signaling loop on the Scarborough RT has a single twist in it at the halfway point and that doubles the resolution of the positioning data for a given loop size since the signaling system is able to determine which half the train is over based on the phase shift of the communication from the train.  Don't quote me on that that though because it's been a long time since I've looked at that stuff...

34 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

If I remember correctly, each signaling loop on the Scarborough RT has a single twist in it at the halfway point and that doubles the resolution of the positioning data for a given loop size since the signaling system is able to determine which half the train is over based on the phase shift of the communication from the train.  Don't quote me on that that though because it's been a long time since I've looked at that stuff...

There is a twist where the wires change sides. My understanding about the SelTrac system is that the system uses that point to also break the system into smaller blocks for the sake of making the system a true "moving block" system.

Dan