General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

3 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

What was wrong with the TRs? I've always found them to be fine for the most part. 

The TR program was done fairly well, but there were still teething issues with the order then and today. 
Operational issues:
- Longer dwell times due to door cycle issues
- Less reliable door system
- Lack of options if doors get stuck
- Lack of spaces to hold onto in the trains
- Accessibility Issues

Cosmetic aesthetic issues (these really don't matter at all)
- Lack of front window (an improvement from an operations perspective)
- outdated screens
- Inconsistent passenger announcements
- Broken LED station displays

Almost all these issues have been fixed or mitigated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Streety McCarface said:

The TR program was done fairly well, but there were still teething issues with the order then and today. 
Operational issues:
- Longer dwell times due to door cycle issues
- Less reliable door system
- Lack of options if doors get stuck
- Lack of spaces to hold onto in the trains
- Accessibility Issues

Cosmetic aesthetic issues (these really don't matter at all)
- Lack of front window (an improvement from an operations perspective)
- outdated screens
- Inconsistent passenger announcements
- Broken LED station displays

Almost all these issues have been fixed or mitigated. 

They are a tad sluggish...but apparently that's a good thing. 

Trains will be using the southbound tracks only in both directions from Sheppard West to Finch West this week from 11:30pm until the end of service due to track work. Does this mean trains will run less frequently on this part of the line? Are some northbound trains going to be short turned at Sheppard West or Wilson or will they just head back to the yard? 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I don't know where progress on Yorkdale stands but as of a couple of years ago there were plans to redo the Arc En Ceil with LEDs.

Still in the plans, as far as anyone could tell. It sounds like they were were waiting on the accessibility work to wrap up before working on the roof - that is supposed to start next year.

Dan

1 hour ago, Orion VI said:

Thing is with this, I live around the area and use Glencairn everyday, they completed this work like 6-8 months ago, this is nothing new.

It is, however, north of Bloor St. so it's entirely possible that one of the downtown crowd finally fell asleep on the train or accidentally strayed too far and only just saw it now.  Next headline:  "Subway Extension To Vaughn Not In Toronto Passes Through Siberia".

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...

Interesting, I heard on the subway radio today transit control talking to a TR train on the BD line, he was at Donlands. Didn't catch whether he was in service or not, could he just been heading to Greenwood Yard for something, or is the TTC running some TR trains on BD for any particular reason (Like during that one summer few years ago because of AC troubles on T1 fleet)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Interesting, I heard on the subway radio today transit control talking to a TR train on the BD line, he was at Donlands. Didn't catch whether he was in service or not, could he just been heading to Greenwood Yard for something, or is the TTC running some TR trains on BD for any particular reason (Like during that one summer few years ago because of AC troubles on T1 fleet)

From over in the Today's Sightings thread:

On 1/22/2021 at 2:26 PM, Downsview34. said:

TTC:

Theres currently 2 TR sets parked at Greenwood yard. 5811-5816 & 5901-5906

It's hard to imagine, but the TR sets are actually hitting 10 years old now; first ones were on property in late 2010. Greenwood is still the major maintenance and overhaul facility for the subway, so it's possible the cars are rotating down there for work.

T1 cars were also spotted at Wilson yard in recent days; another possibility is that there is some cross-training going on, perhaps in anticipation of operators moving between divisions with the opening of McNicoll garage.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Ah yeah, so most likely just for maintenance. Yeah, crazy that it's been 10 years.

Even more crazy is some of the T1's are more than 25 years old. They sure don't feel like it.

Especially when they were looking at refurbishing the T1s if the funding for new rolling stock on Bloor-Danforth doesn't come through or if delays happen should the new order come through. Avoiding the repeat of the CLRVs/ALRVs failing needing to be substituted with buses along certain routes to ensure adequate capacity. 

Extending their lifespan by another 10 years for the T1s. 

I always feels strange when boarding a T1 subway on Bloor-Danforth because of the configuration. Sheppard and Yonge-University operating exclusively with Toronto Rocket trains. Sheppard was converted due to having to accommodate ATC when accessing Davisville on the Yonge side. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MK78 said:

Ah yeah, so most likely just for maintenance. Yeah, crazy that it's been 10 years.

Even more crazy is some of the T1's are more than 25 years old. They sure don't feel like it.

It shouldn't be for maintenance. With the exception of bodywork Wilson is now just about as capable as Greenwood is for heavy servicing when it comes to the TRs, and any major assemblies can be swapped out as needed there and sent off-site.

Unless the wheel lathe at Wilson is not working. In which case they would need to go to Greenwood for wheel turning. The T1 going the other way may just be for storage purposes, as there is little "spare space" at Greenwood.

Dan

On 1/26/2021 at 11:42 PM, MK78 said:

The two pilot cars were delivered to Davisville in July 1995, the six-car pilot train (5000-5005) was completed at the end of 1995. The first production cars were built in the summer of 1996 so the production fleet will start turning 25 later this year, while the last two production cars will hit 20 years in November. A couple of trains entered service in Oct-Nov 1996, but then they were all pulled in February 1997 due to door issues, and then the fleet returned to service in late May 1997.

As noted in another post the first TR pilot train (5391-96) just hit 10 years old, but the last trains will only be reaching five this year.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Shaun said:

Frankly they held up better than the H5 and H6 cars that they replaced. 

Yeah, the T1's still don't look & feel outdated like the H cars did. Maybe its just the wider doors and the brighter lights when they retrofitted them with the LED's.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, MK78 said:

Yeah, the T1's still don't look & feel outdated like the H cars did. Maybe its just the wider doors and the brighter lights when they retrofitted them with the LED's.

The T1s didn't have any fake wood grain interior panels the way the H2-6 cars did which screamed 1970s-1980s.  The H2 and H4 cars' interior colours were totally 1970s too, so yes, they looked like and represented the eras they were built in.  The H5 and H6 with some wood grain below the beltrail and a nice cream above was a good balance, I think.

Of course, my favourites hands down were the Gloucesters but damn I'm getting old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

The T1s didn't have any fake wood grain interior panels the way the H2-6 cars did which screamed 1970s-1980s.  The H2 and H4 cars' interior colours were totally 1970s too, so yes, they looked like and represented the eras they were built in.  The H5 and H6 with some wood grain below the beltrail and a nice cream above was a good balance, I think.

Of course, my favourites hands down were the Gloucesters but damn I'm getting old.

Yeah, that's probably why, the fake wood grain.

22 minutes ago, nfitz said:

The Line 3 vehicles certainly look a lot better now, simply by replacing the old wooden panelling with neutral colours.

Yeah, the blue wrap helps too...

Too bad they are still as horrible to ride in as ever, noise & vibration being the major factor.

• Like 2