General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

Speaking of these, I remember a few weeks ago I had a train on Line 1 that was displaying and externally announcing them. Was this a test unit?

When will the other Line 1 and Line 2 trains be fully ready to announce and display them?

22 hours ago, smallspy said:

Ahh, thank you. Admittedly, I hadn't had much of a chance to look for them as yet. And this is excellent - it really makes everyone's life easier when necessary to move non-ATC-equipped trains about. In theory, it can be done with virtually no input from the controllers.

Dan

I looked around yesterday, the ones near wilson are not really easy to spot if you are riding the train. The axle counters that are easy to see are the ones in the side platform stations. The "transmitter" box is tucked under the platform edge and the sensor blocks are installed on the inside edge of a running rail. At the leaving end there is one or two at each station. Don't go sticking your head over the platform edge to take a look though. It's really easy to see from the opposite platform. Northbound Spadina there are two really dirty axle counters at the north end of the northbound near the "emergency use only" box, easy to see from the north end of the southbound. 

You could probably spot a few by looking out the side windows in the open cuts. 

• Thanks 1

Do you know why some of the trains get out of service so suddenly?

yesterday, I was heading to my work to the west end.. my subway was stopping at Jane and the train operator said suddenly that the train was out of service.

I know it was just a regular hour, but I think they do that during the rush hour.

What is a clear reason for that?

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Do you know why some of the trains get out of service so suddenly?

yesterday, I was heading to my work to the west end.. my subway was stopping at Jane and the train operator said suddenly that the train was out of service.

I know it was just a regular hour, but I think they do that during the rush hour.

What is a clear reason for that?

Mechanical ... bodily fluids ... probably something like that. Though, occasionally they will short-turn one ... not sure the customary west-end locations.

8 hours ago, DAT_28 said:

Line 4 trains are now showing and saying “Line 4, to Sheppard-Yonge”

They've been saying this pretty consistantly since the signs were first installed last summer or so.

6 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Speaking of these, I remember a few weeks ago I had a train on Line 1 that was displaying and externally announcing them. Was this a test unit?

Probably an overzealous operator. The equipment has been installed and functional for quite some time.

When will the other Line 1 and Line 2 trains be fully ready to announce and display them?

When Bombardier finishes the hardware and software to drive them properly. The TRs were supposedly close in the spring, with no known ETA for the T1s on the B-D.

Dan

12 hours ago, DAT_28 said:

Line 4 trains are now showing and saying “Line 4, to Sheppard-Yonge”

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

They've been saying this pretty consistantly since the signs were first installed last summer or so.

There was a change in the past week or so that changed the westbound display from the incorrect "Line 4 to Sheppard" to "Line 4 to Sheppard-Yonge", which now scrolls. The voice program has also been updated to eliminate the pause between "Line 4" and "to (destination)".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Breaking topics here a bit, but this has kinda been on my mind lately

when the SRT was being designed, it was made for CLRV operation. Hence the initial side platforms and dual tracks at Kennedy as CLRV’s couldn’t operate reverse tripe without turning around.

my question is then, what was the idea with McCowan, where would CLRVs turn around? Was McCowan designed after they had changed the vehicle type, or were there any actual modifications during construction to accommodate the Mark Is instead? 

Much of the work at Kennedy had been completed with the construction of the subway station shortly before the construction of the rest of the SRT started. That's why so much of its original configuration remained after the opening of the SRT.

The rest of the stations hadn't yet really started, although if you know where to look you can see some telling - and peculiar - structural elements and changes to the structure as part of the redesign. And as for the configuration of the loop at McCowan, well that was simply done away with the change in vehicle type. There is a loop at the yard, but it is unpowered and seldom used.

Dan

• Thanks 1

So the T1's have run exclusively on line 2 for a while now, but why is the flat wheel issue become such an issue only recently? The H6 cars would constantly slide to a stop but never had issues with flat wheels? If I'm not mistaken the wheel type of different on the H6 and T1's? Could that be part of the issue? This was not really an issue when they where on line 1, which has outdoor running as well.

Are the operators harder on the equipment, causing more flat wheel spots?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5477856/ttc-line-2-subway-vibrations-noise-update/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

So the T1's have run exclusively on line 2 for a while now, but why is the flat wheel issue become such an issue only recently? The H6 cars would constantly slide to a stop but never had issues with flat wheels? If I'm not mistaken the wheel type of different on the H6 and T1's? Could that be part of the issue? This was not really an issue when they where on line 1, which has outdoor running as well.

I swear wheel flats have been an issue for the T1 fleet for years. Isn’t that one of the reasons why some operators decide to wear ear plugs while operating them?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2019/July_10/Reports/9_Line_2_BD_Wheel_Flats_Update.pdf

Not sure what T1 car this was as my friend caught this but it looks like they might start putting up these maps exclusively on Line 2. With this happening could we expect the maps on the TRs to change to exclusive line maps instead of the current system map?

90476328-73F2-4A74-BF9B-26671E794764.thumb.png.28cc72aa70006c72111c791fc57d06fc.png

2 hours ago, CFMaster said:

Not sure what T1 car this was as my friend caught this but it looks like they might start putting up these maps exclusively on Line 2. With this happening could we expect the maps on the TRs to change to exclusive line maps instead of the current system map?

90476328-73F2-4A74-BF9B-26671E794764.thumb.png.28cc72aa70006c72111c791fc57d06fc.png

These have been popping up since a few months ago. They're supposed to be used in conjunction with full-rail network maps placed in the portrait ad racks beside the doors but those have been rarely put in place so far. I have no idea for what's in store for Line 1.

20 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

These have been popping up since a few months ago. They're supposed to be used in conjunction with full-rail network maps placed in the portrait ad racks beside the doors but those have been rarely put in place so far. I have no idea for what's in store for Line 1.

I am going to say they will leave it since they have the light up device on each. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All 3 levels of government just announced plans for Yonge/Bloor station which includes capacity enhancements. They claim it includes modifications to the Line 1 platform and an additional Line 2 platform. Not sure of many details yet. Does anyone know if this additional Line 2 platform will be similar to what they did at Union Station by turning the Center platform into side platforms or something else? Either way, this is in very early stages. 

38 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

All 3 levels of government just announced plans for Yonge/Bloor station which includes capacity enhancements. They claim it includes modifications to the Line 1 platform and an additional Line 2 platform. Not sure of many details yet. Does anyone know if this additional Line 2 platform will be similar to what they did at Union Station by turning the Center platform into side platforms or something else? Either way, this is in very early stages. 

I think that was the most recent concept. If I remember correctly, it was a new south platform for eastbound, and the current platform becomes westbound. There's some plans somewhere ... but I can't see anything newer than 2008 right now.

I don't think the Line 1 modifications were that significant, other than the obvious addition of stairs, escalators, and elevators.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I don't think the Line 1 modifications were that significant, other than the obvious addition of stairs, escalators, and elevators.

It was significant in the sense that the additional vertical circulation elements also allowed for the inclusion of another 25% or so of platform space.

Dan

Edit: Most recent concept, from April of this year: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-131525.pdf

• Like 2