General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

New TTC accessibility plan says McCowan, Midland, Ellesmere and Lawrence East stations will not be made accessible due to their closing in the near-future. Does anyone know the legal implications of this as the line 2 extension won’t be complete by 2025 ? 

26 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

New TTC accessibility plan says McCowan, Midland, Ellesmere and Lawrence East stations will not be made accessible due to their closing in the near-future. Does anyone know the legal implications of this as the line 2 extension won’t be complete by 2025 ? 

I don't know but if it turns into a kurfuffle that gets ugly, I can see the TTC sidestepping those issues by closing those stations to the public and turning the RT into a Kennedy <----> Scarborough Town Centre express and only servicing the two accessible stations on the line.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I don't know but if it turns into a kurfuffle that gets ugly, I can see the TTC sidestepping those issues by closing those stations to the public and turning the RT into a Kennedy <----> Scarborough Town Centre express and only servicing the two accessible stations on the line.

I'd think that would be an option. Though push come to shove, surely it's not that much work to make both the at-grade platforms at Lawrence West and even Ellesmere stations steps-free; you wouldn't be able to access both platforms from a single entrance, but there's many subway entrances that will continue to exist that you can't access any platforms steps-free!

Midland is only a short distance to Ellesmere, and McCowan is only a short distance to Scarborough Centre.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, CLRV4002 said:

Province could also pass a law letting those stations remain as is until the subway extension opens

With 6 Freedoms delivered (as reported a few months ago by a board member), are they all being stored inside the Mt Dennis LRT garage as there's not enough tracks laid to test them out?

Basically they are sitting there doing all kinds of non mobile testing?

19 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

With 6 Freedoms delivered (as reported a few months ago by a board member), are they all being stored inside the Mt Dennis LRT garage as there's not enough tracks laid to test them out?

Basically they are sitting there doing all kinds of non mobile testing?

Metrolinx has claimed that at least some of the overhead in the yard has been energized, so they could be doing slow-speed testing out there.

But yes, there would be a need to test and commission all of the equipment inside the maintenance buildings, and so they may be using the cars for that in the interim.

Dan

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve seen a few reddit posts about these new maps on Line 2. Never seen them in person, does anyone know if this is a pilot/test project or something permanent ? I heard they’re rolling these out to complement the Subway/Streetcar maps that feature the entire system. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

I’ve seen a few reddit posts about these new maps on Line 2. Never seen them in person, does anyone know if this is a pilot/test project or something permanent ? I heard they’re rolling these out to complement the Subway/Streetcar maps that feature the entire system. 

Personally I hate this new line map. You have no idea how it connects to line 1. Since most tourist and occasional riders are usually heading downtown on Line 1, they can't see those stops anymore. They should have included the downtown U for easy navigation.

This map replaced the system map in their usual location. The system map is sometimes found in one of the 4 corners. Otherwise, you can walk around to try to find one. Those location are usually block by people in crowded trains. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Personally I hate this new line map. You have no idea how it connects to line 1. Since most tourist and occasional riders are usually heading downtown on Line 1, they can't see those stops anymore. They should have included the downtown U for easy navigation.

This map replaced the system map in their usual location. The system map is sometimes found in one of the 4 corners. Otherwise, you can walk around to try to find one. Those location are usually block by people in crowded trains. 

Yeah I agree with you.

I wouldn’t criticize if they put that map on the first and third door of the car, while keeping the existing whole network map on the second and fourth door. 

30 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

I wouldn’t criticize if they put that map on the first and third door of the car, while keeping the existing whole network map on the second and fourth door. 

Or simply have the two separate maps above each facing door set. that way you can either look one way to see the Line 2 map, and look the other way for the full system map, and have this alternate across the other doors.

F---S---F---S

S---F---S---F

F=Full Map

S=Simple Line 2

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (then again it looks like it worsened). The TTC really has money to spend.

1 minute ago, MK78 said:

Or simply have the two separate maps above each facing door set. that way you can either look one way to see the Line 2 map, and look the other way for the full system map, and have this alternate across the other doors.

F---S---F---S

S---F---S---F

F=Full Map

S=Simple Line 2

That’s not a bad idea. I’m not against the new maps as long as the connection to other lines is made clear, which I’d say is not the case here. I wish these new maps could at least feature portions of the other lines so that it could say “Line 1 Northbound to finch” or “Line 1 Southbound to Union” as opposed to just the line 1 symbol. 

Mane just a general question, every time a station becomes accessible, does the TTC print out all new maps just with the accessible logo added to one more station ? For example this map shows Royal York as not being accessible. When it does become accessible in the near future how long does it take for that to reflect on the maps ? 

5 hours ago, MK78 said:

Weird, weren't the maps just updated recently, like after the opening of the spadina line extension?

Spadina line extension opened in 2017!

They normally replace then every year or two, with the various accessible stations opening, etc.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Spadina line extension opened in 2017!

They normally replace then every year or two, with the various accessible stations opening, etc.

Yeah it did, but it took a while for the trains to be updated, i know i remember seeing maps with the extension marked as "opening soon" 6+ months after it opened.

Do any of you guys remember the sticker with Downsview on it that they stuck on all the maps when that station opened in 1996?  I'm kind of surprised the TTC didn't revisit that idea when the subway got extended again to get by quickly and easily on the T1s until new maps were put out.

1 minute ago, Wayside Observer said:

Do any of you guys remember the sticker with Downsview on it that they stuck on all the maps when that station opened in 1996?  I'm kind of surprised the TTC didn't revisit that idea when the subway got extended again to get by quickly and easily on the T1s until new maps were put out.

Yes I’m surprised they actually put new maps for “Sheppard West” then new ones months later for the extension. On another note, I think there’s still maps on the Bloor-Danforth platform of Kennedy station without the extension and still with Downsview on them. At least up until a few months ago I know for sure they’re still up 

7 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (then again it looks like it worsened). The TTC really has money to spend.

I understand that when lines 5 and 6 opens, the map will get crowded. But they could have drawn the lines, omit all the stations and include only the interchange stations. It's like the surface route map. All they think about is transfer routes, nothing else matters.