General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

I don't tweet or facebook, so that's not an option.

Besides, I doubt they'd answer a question that I'm pretty sure they feel like the public has no business in knowing.

True. You might get a response about how that new radio system they're installing is so great because it has encryption though.

Speaking of the new radio system, I wonder when it will start making its way into the subway, and will they first do Line 1 & Line 4 on the TR trains, and later the Line 2 T1, or not do T1's at all and wait until they are replaced?

Has anyone seen or heard any sort of timeline?

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, BYD said:

Since trains on Lines 2 and 3 don't even possess most of the interior security cameras, this incident on early Saturday is a huge consequence. Would the TTC able to retrofit security cameras on all the T1s and the Mark I/S1 cars so incidents like this one won't happen again? 

Discuss.

Good topic. Personally, I don't think that installing cameras on the SRT cars would be worth the investment considering technical challenges and their impending retirement.

As for the T1s, that could be viable, at least on a semi-permanent measure until the replacement fleet is delivered. There is plenty of room to install the necessary equipment.

1 hour ago, lip said:

The T1s are getting cameras installed, albeit the process is going pretty slow.

In topic of this, Steve Munro's post confirms the T1s will last until 2033 at latest through the LEP. The S1 car overhaul will be completed in 2021 as well, though no mention of CCTV cameras.

At the same time, the ATC on the TRs is delayed through 2021. 

30 minutes ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

According to the post (specifically Table 2B), they're listed as lasting until 2041.

TTC Management has lost their damn minds, glad to see they seem intent on re-creating another ALRV situation but on a much larger scale.

They're going to find out the hard way that their plan is not a good idea when vehicle reliability starts to deteriorate. Looks like it's a good thing we have all those spare T1s after all.

Anyone know why this year TTC started doing a lot of weeknight early closures on Line 1 for ATC whereas last year was mostly weekend closures?

Was it public complaints that weekend no subway was more disruptive than early closure on weeknights?

15 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Anyone know why this year TTC started doing a lot of weeknight early closures on Line 1 for ATC whereas last year was mostly weekend closures?

Was it public complaints that weekend no subway was more disruptive than early closure on weeknights?

They have to do something - the installation of the ATO/ATC systems have fallen behind.

This seems to be their solution to resolving it.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

I just read Steve's huge essay on the subways. Where are they looking at for the Richmond Hill Line 1 yard and the Kipling Line 2 yard?

Are they both within the Hydro corridor as I don't see any other places with a huge empty field.

Check the EAs for the North Yonge extension - the storage facility north of Highway 7 would be along the ROW of the paralleling CN tracks, and would be useful for an extension of the line north to 16th Ave.

As for the Kipling Yard, the rumours are that TTC/City of Toronto is trying to purchase the CP's former Obico Yard, which is immediately south of Kipling Station.

Dan

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

How are they going to build an underground storage and maintenance facility for 14 trains? 

There are houses and office buildings there already.  

Maybe take over the home depot parking lot and build it above ground?

There are plans on the project website somewhere. It's just extended tail tracks. They'd build it cut-and-cover so it would be three tracks wide, along much of the future alignment between Richmond Hill Station and 16th Avenue.

Better known as poor planning on York Region's part. Its like they want a subway but don't plan for the infrastructure needed for it. 905ers want a subway to highway 7 but expect Toronto to build all the infrastructure in Toronto for it. That empty piece of land on High tech and Red Maple would be great for a subway yard but its being used for condos. 

Ah, that's the March 22 letter, that stated the 3-station Line 2 extension would terminate at Scarborough Centre.

Only 4 days later the province changed their mind on this, and now it extends north of Scarborough Centre. So that letter is clearly meaningless and/or written by someone who knows nothing about transit in Toronto.