General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

39 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Senses train location for the automatic control/cab signaling.

They're also the antenna system that carries communication to and from the train to provide speed and control codes.  It's interesting how it's done too.  It isn't two separate circuits down each side of the reaction plate, it's one set up in loops that alternate direction to provide common mode interference rejection.  If anyone was wondering why having monster sized linear induction motors right on top of the antenna system wasn't saturating it with induced energy and interfering with things, that's how they solved that problem...

21 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

They're also the antenna system that carries communication to and from the train to provide speed and control codes.  It's interesting how it's done too.  It isn't two separate circuits down each side of the reaction plate, it's one set up in loops that alternate direction to provide common mode interference rejection.  If anyone was wondering why having monster sized linear induction motors right on top of the antenna system wasn't saturating it with induced energy and interfering with things, that's how they solved that problem...

Yeah I should’ve added delivers instructions to the car’s VOBC too...Actually, I did wonder how they got a way with antennas immediately against a huge honking interference source. So it seems analogous to the cross braiding of the multiplex comm loop circuit wires, and Hall effect powertrain sensor circuits, etc.

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

Actually, I did wonder how they got a way with antennas immediately against a huge honking interference source. So it seems analogous to the cross braiding of the multiplex comm loop circuit wires, and Hall effect powertrain sensor circuits.

Yes, you've got it exactly!

Braiding or twisting the wires causes external interference to cancel itself out.  In a perfect world, the interference would cancel itself out completely with a perfect null but in practice, the braid/twists knocks it down severely but not completely.  This is also what you'd do if you weren't using coax cable and had no shield to ground to get rid of interference.  It's rare to see twisted pair for instrumentation leads now.  The last time I did was at a company whose main line of business was making solenoids and they'd built some of their own test and instrumentation equipment in house and there was twisted leads going from one part of this machine that measured force over the course of the full range of a given solenoid's travel to another where a chart recorder had been installed.  Normally you'd see coax in this kind of application but they used a pair of stranded wires twisted tightly together.  I really need to send the gentleman who owned the company an email - on my to do list for later tonight or tomorrow morning.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully the foil shield's grounded!  I've run into surprises where cables have been wired to the connectors at each end incorrectly and the shield was being used to carry one side of a signal circuit and they were inexplicably susceptible to picking up noise...junior technicians...made in China...the usual...what are you going to do...

If I remember correctly, each signaling loop on the Scarborough RT has a single twist in it at the halfway point and that doubles the resolution of the positioning data for a given loop size since the signaling system is able to determine which half the train is over based on the phase shift of the communication from the train.  Don't quote me on that that though because it's been a long time since I've looked at that stuff...

34 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

If I remember correctly, each signaling loop on the Scarborough RT has a single twist in it at the halfway point and that doubles the resolution of the positioning data for a given loop size since the signaling system is able to determine which half the train is over based on the phase shift of the communication from the train.  Don't quote me on that that though because it's been a long time since I've looked at that stuff...

There is a twist where the wires change sides. My understanding about the SelTrac system is that the system uses that point to also break the system into smaller blocks for the sake of making the system a true "moving block" system.

Dan

1.Illustration of the proposed TTC Subway at Yonge & King, from the Toronto Star, 1945. - Credit: David Archer.  1956630517_ScreenShot2019-02-20at7_33_57PM.thumb.png.9229b9e5adc57d990f215331c403f621.png 
2. Credit: Rob Pineault  Rob Pineault1942 proposal 157723888_ScreenShot2019-02-20at7_34_31PM.thumb.png.355b9a9cab8a6faf4f0ccdb2de16e033.png     
3. Credit: Rob Pineault, The church st streetcar was going to swing over above church st and go up mount pleasant to st Clair as a Proposal.   2001683061_ScreenShot2019-02-20at7_35_09PM.thumb.png.cad97b5463671925fede857716580fb6.png
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, NoUse4AName said:
1.Illustration of the proposed TTC Subway at Yonge & King, from the Toronto Star, 1945. - Credit: David Archer.  1956630517_ScreenShot2019-02-20at7_33_57PM.thumb.png.9229b9e5adc57d990f215331c403f621.png 
2. Credit: Rob Pineault  Rob Pineault1942 proposal 157723888_ScreenShot2019-02-20at7_34_31PM.thumb.png.355b9a9cab8a6faf4f0ccdb2de16e033.png     
3. Credit: Rob Pineault, The church st streetcar was going to swing over above church st and go up mount pleasant to st Clair as a Proposal.   2001683061_ScreenShot2019-02-20at7_35_09PM.thumb.png.cad97b5463671925fede857716580fb6.png

Why don't you ask Rob Pineault where he got them from, seeing as how he regularly reposts items that aren't his.

Dan

• Thanks 3

When the DRL gets built, what will happen to the existing lower Queen stn? It's much too small for a heavy rail so does having that station pre built over half a century ago help in building the DRL's lower Queen stn?

23 minutes ago, Orion V said:

When the DRL gets built, what will happen to the existing lower Queen stn? It's much too small for a heavy rail so does having that station pre built over half a century ago help in building the DRL's lower Queen stn?

The idea was to build the station below the lower Queen station area and use the passageway as a mezzanine collecting and distributing transfers to and from the platform below.

12 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

The idea was to build the station below the lower Queen station area and use the passageway as a mezzanine collecting and distributing transfers to and from the platform below.

Looked to be a passageway on the plans in the recent report. But if I remember, the station wasn't below (though certainly deeper than). The new platform is all further west I thought, between Yonge and Bay.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:28 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

On 3/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, nfitz said:

Looked to be a passageway on the plans in the recent report. But if I remember, the station wasn't below (though certainly deeper than). The new platform is all further west I thought, between Yonge and Bay.

You're both right, based on the schematics presented (which Steve Munro has thankfully documented).  The lower Queen station, since it lies below the existing PATH tunnel will be used to connect the fare-paid areas of both stations.  I assume they'll keep the separate section for the unpaid-fare underpass between both Yonge Line platforms.

The station Relief Line station will lie west of the PATH tunnel with separate entrances at Bay.  One at the northwest corner of Queen in one corner of Nathan Phillips Square.  The other within the PATH tunnel between Hudson's Bay and the Thomson Building, which could serve as a useful workaround for the PATH when the Hudson's Bay store is closed.  It'd also probably have a provision for access to Old City Hall once they decide what to do with the building after the court functions have moved out.  Now, will the PATH entrance at the southwest corner of Bay and Queen (in front of the TD branch) be a designated subway entrance?  It could probably use an upgrade if it is, as it may not be able to accommodate the extra pedestrian traffic.

cityhallstn_3_fareconcourseplan.jpg

• Like 1

I've been taking my portable scanner on subway rides for many years, and listening to the wayside conversations. I've figured out what most of the shortcuts/acronyms they describe different systems, and the general lingo of the system.

There are a few that I just can't figure out.

OTC - Training instructors from what I gather, but I can't figure out the meaning of "OTC"

ECD - When a train has a mechanical or electrical malfunction, the regular dispatcher sometimes gives way to "ECD" to figure out what can be done to bypass or lock out the various systems to get the train moving. Can't figure out the meaning of "ECD"

TOD - I assume this is the display that shows status of various train systems and errors. Can't figure out what "TOD" means.

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

I've been taking my portable scanner on subway rides for many years, and listening to the wayside conversations. I've figured out what most of the shortcuts/acronyms they describe different systems, and the general lingo of the system.

OTC - Training instructors from what I gather, but I can't figure out the meaning of "OTC"

ECD - When a train has a mechanical or electrical malfunction, the regular dispatcher sometimes gives way to "ECD" to figure out what can be done to bypass or lock out the various systems to get the train moving. Can't figure out the meaning of "ECD"

TOD - I assume this is the display that shows status of various train systems and errors. Can't figure out what "TOD" means.

Any ideas?

The only one I know is TOD which stands for Train Operation Display

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

Any ideas?

OTC - Operations Training Centre.

Dan

• Thanks 1