General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

I figured I start a Subway/RT thread, everything TTC Subway and related topics.

Property Acquisition maybe something to do with the new yard.

There's plans to open Keele yard in 2017, so lets see how that goes.

Kipling is expected to get an expanded tail track to store up to two extra trains. theres already a potential area under the bus bays for this, unless they changed their minds. That will be awareded soon.

Davisville Expansion This should expand to accommodate TRs, obviously.

Hvac for T1 trains Hopefully this is sorted out by summer 2017.

And SRT cars 3027 and 3026 have been gone for over a year now. Still waiting for any news

Anything else just post away

2 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

question about the srt, are operators supposed to leave the rear cab area blocked off, if they are driving from the other end of the train? Usually the cab is closed but today it was blocked off, wasnt a big deal to me though as i just waited for the next train.

Well, not too many people care about that as they rarely go up to the rear cab area fearing the intercar door might swing open and hit them.

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

That doesn't necessarily involve lengthening the platforms, however. A 6-car train is 450 feet long, on a platform of 500 feet.

Dan

Right. I guess the only feasible way now for this to work is to have an order of TRs with slightly longer cars. Which.......won't happen any time soon.

14 minutes ago, Shaun said:

You cant do that, the turning radius would be different.  You would need to redesign all of the curves and cross overs, and change platform clearances. 

You could work up a way to add one shorter 45-50 foot car to each set if you really wanted to.

Just now, TheAverageJoe said:

You could work up a way to add one shorter 45-50 foot car to each set if you really wanted to.

But then again with the T1's coming due for replacement within the next ten years. It may be easier to move the TR's to Line two and come up with a train set design for Line one that would be 490-500 feet long.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 10:15 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

This would fit much better with ATC being complete in 2019 on Line 1, this would provide much better stopping accuracy i prosume

Baby steps...they have to get their existing systems working correctly first.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

I have something.

Will there ever be another subway extension again after the Scarborough subway thing is built?

That depends on the city's decision, and where the extension is going to go, if the extension is needed for the people living nearby, and costs. I think that York Region is proposing the Yonge subway extension to Richmond Hill, but I don't know if it will be reality. 

11 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

That depends on the city's decision, and where the extension is going to go, if the extension is needed for the people living nearby, and costs. I think that York Region is proposing the Yonge subway extension to Richmond Hill, but I don't know if it will be reality. 

If they do not build the Don Mills line (Relief Line to Don Mills Subway Station, and preferably connecting with the current Sheppard Subway) and the Yonge subway within the next 20 years, this city is going to die. 

2 hours ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

I still want a subway line going under Queen Street from Sherway Gardens to the beach.

And yeah... Yonge's subway congestion... I mean, why can't they AT LEAST extend it to Steeles Avenue? 

Why on earth would you put a subway under Queen for that distance? That's absolutely non-nonsensical.

They could extend Yonge to Steeles. But that does nothing to alleviate the current capacity crunch at Bloor. That's why the TTC has (correctly) decreed that the DRL is a prerequisite for any further extensions of the subway north.

Dan

• Like 4

Okay, I was kinda exaggerating there. Maybe have a Queen line going from Roncesvalles to Logan, and later have extensions both ways to Sherway Gardens and the Woodbine Beach?

And if the DRL ever gets built, (which considering how long it's been planned for, probably never) then here's how I think it should go...

It would start at Bloor and Dufferin. It would go southbound on Dufferin Street, to alleviate the current capacity crunch on the awful Duff bus. It would then turn east on to King, go through downtown, then turn back up north up to Danforth and COX... well. 

But with my Queen line idea, we could go with that instead.

5 hours ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

Okay, I was kinda exaggerating there. Maybe have a Queen line going from Roncesvalles to Logan, and later have extensions both ways to Sherway Gardens and the Woodbine Beach?

And if the DRL ever gets built, (which considering how long it's been planned for, probably never) then here's how I think it should go...

It would start at Bloor and Dufferin. It would go southbound on Dufferin Street, to alleviate the current capacity crunch on the awful Duff bus. It would then turn east on to King, go through downtown, then turn back up north up to Danforth and COX... well. 

But with my Queen line idea, we could go with that instead.

If anything about a Queen Line would make more sense to move the Streetcar line to underground in the downtown core like the original Queen subway was suppose to.

Is it just me, or has the amount of delays of the B-D line grown substantially over the Y-U-S line? Im consistently hearing of mechanical and emergency assistance delays on this line on an hourly basis, especially during the rush hour.

Crew changeovers also seem to be getting out of hand of the B-D line.

3 minutes ago, lip said:

Is it just me, or has the amount of delays of the B-D line grown substantially over the Y-U-S line? Im consistently hearing of mechanical and emergency assistance delays on this line on an hourly basis, especially during the rush hour.

Crew changeovers also seem to be getting out of hand of the B-D line.

Noting that the line uses T1 trains, mechanical issues are much more likely on the BD line. Emergency assistance seems odd, considering that the BD line is not near capacity yet, and is not nearly as crowded. However, despite this information, the hot cars may have had a role in the increase in emergency assistance delays. 

On another note, the relief line study http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-94624.pdf states that only 4 car trains would be used on this line. Thoughts? Even on Sheppard, the 4 car trains fill up during rush hour. Shouldn't the city be considering moving to platform lengths capable of running 8-car trains and run 6 car trains instead?